Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 13:58   #676
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Saw a video in Youtube in which the person has captured Old THAR and NEW THAR back to back (both company vehicles).

Gives some more idea regarding old vs new in terms of external appearance.
Why is that Old Thar still on test, with code name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I still see side facing seats in the new Thar. Didn't multiple sources say that we are finally getting front facing ones?
Front facing rear seats are expected only in Hard Top version.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th March 2020 at 14:03. Reason: Removing youtube link from quoted text since it affects readability.
sechebe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 14:05   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
People have the same complaints about TATA products too - simply because ~100% of the road testing is carried out on Indian soil and we get an overload of information.
I guess all are curious because it was initially anticipated to be launched in the auto expo. Mahindra couldn't meet the time lines as otherwise, no manufacturer would spend so much money for the expo with bare minimum attention grabbing products.

Also old THAR production was stopped almost 6 months before and since there is no plan to discontinue that brand/product, I don't know why a manufacturer will waste the time and lose the money for all these months.

It's possible that their planning went wrong or some unanticipated issues cropped up.
Old 15th March 2020, 11:54   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
The problem for Mahindra is if it gets closer to 20-lakhs OTR in major markets, the value for money proposition will take a beating. And I really hope they can keep it around 15-lakhs, give or take a couple.

P.S.: The new Thar always looked to me what the TUV 300 would have looked if they had not gone for the crazy raked doors.
I was going through some spy shots and had a feeling that Mahindra will place Thar as a direct competition to Isuzu VCross. Came here to post and saw your comments on the last page. Very well summarised.

Looking at the way Mahindra has recently gone about launching their products (example XUV300), seems they want to charge a premium. I think the OTR for Thar will certainly end up around 20 lac territory.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th March 2020 at 18:27. Reason: Edited as requested.
Old 15th March 2020, 14:30   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I was going through some spy shots and had a feeling that Mahindra will place Thar as a direct competition to Isuzu VCross. Came here to post and saw your comments on the last page. Very well summarised.

Looking at the way Mahindra has recently gone about launching their products (example XUV300), seems they want to charge a premium for their products. I think the OTR for Thar will certainly end up around 20 lac territory.
Agreed, there are certainly full chances that the new gen Thar will cost more. The old gen models used to cost around Rs. 11 lakhs OTR. Then came the signature edition which costed me about Rs. 12 lakhs, the additions were a new colour, ABS and alloys on all 5 wheels. Now, looking to the additions on the new gen Thar such as Hardtop, power windows, central looking, 6 speed gearbox, company fitted touchscreen ICE and many more, the cost will easily shoot up by Rs. 3-4 lakhs. Hence the new Thar would cost atleast 16-17 lakhs OTR if not 20 lakhs.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 12:18   #680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Now, looking to the additions on the new gen Thar such as Hardtop, power windows, central looking, 6 speed gearbox, company fitted touchscreen ICE and many more, the cost will easily shoot up by Rs. 3-4 lakhs.
BS6 diesel, be it 2.0 or 2.2, should increase the cost by another 1L - 1.5 lakhs on its own.
Old 21st March 2020, 13:14   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
BS6 diesel, be it 2.0 or 2.2, should increase the cost by another 1L - 1.5 lakhs on its own.
Wasn't there some interview in which Anand Mahindra said something about keeping the increase in costs limited to Rs. 50,000 or so?

Edit: Seems I was wrong, this is the only thing I can find for now https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-goenka-412966

Last edited by JithinR : 21st March 2020 at 13:18. Reason: Added a source
Old 22nd March 2020, 02:13   #682

Quote:
Agreed, there are certainly full chances that the new gen Thar will cost more. The old gen models used to cost around Rs. 11 lakhs OTR. Then came the signature edition which costed me about Rs. 12 lakhs, the additions were a new colour, ABS and alloys on all 5 wheels. Now, looking to the additions on the new gen Thar such as Hardtop, power windows, central looking, 6 speed gearbox, company fitted touchscreen ICE and many more, the cost will easily shoot up by Rs. 3-4 lakhs. Hence the new Thar would cost atleast 16-17 lakhs OTR if not 20 lakhs.
I bought my Thar at around 8.5 Lakhs (On-Road, Delhi) in 2014. At that time as well, we used to point out that how expensive Mahindra is selling the Thar. Come 2019, Mahindra was selling the Thar (updated) around 11 Lakhs (On-road), as mentioned by you in the comment. Already Rs.2.5 Lakhs expensive from what it was in 2014. In my opinion, even a total remake of the vehicle and adding all creature comforts would make it a hard-sell if Mahindra wants to sell it in 18-20 Lakhs bracket. People would perceive it as an over-priced vehicle.
Also worth asking is, how many people would be willing to use a vehicle of this cost for serious off-roading?
Now, since Mahindra is turning a bare-bones Jeep into a feature packed one, which means that they want to go mass market with this product, they must price it right.
Another thing that Mahindra should consider is to offer a bare-bones version of the new Thar for enthusiasts to let them make it their own as they please. All this, at a reasonable price
SpeedyS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 17:58   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyS View Post
I bought my Thar at around 8.5 Lakhs (On-Road, Delhi) in 2014. At that time as well, we used to point out that how expensive Mahindra is selling the Thar. Come 2019, Mahindra was selling the Thar (updated) around 11 Lakhs (On-road), as mentioned by you in the comment. Already Rs.2.5 Lakhs expensive from what it was in 2014. In my opinion, even a total remake of the vehicle and adding all creature comforts would make it a hard-sell if Mahindra wants to sell it in 18-20 Lakhs bracket. People would perceive it as an over-priced vehicle.
Also worth asking is, how many people would be willing to use a vehicle of this cost for serious off-roading?
Now, since Mahindra is turning a bare-bones Jeep into a feature packed one, which means that they want to go mass market with this product, they must price it right.
Another thing that Mahindra should consider is to offer a bare-bones version of the new Thar for enthusiasts to let them make it their own as they please. All this, at a reasonable price
I agree to all the points. Just like any other vehicle, Thar has seen many cosmetic /mechanical/electronics additions over the years and coupled with rise in raw material and labor costs it has reached to a on road price of Rs. 11.7 lakhs (Bought signature edition at this price in August-2019). As of now we don’t have any other vehicle below 13-14 lakhs which can be used for off roading unless MSIL brings the Jimny at 10 Lakhs price as being speculated at the moment. So the lower trims of the new Thar will attract off roaders, but IMHO the top trim will be exclusively a lifestyle product.
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:03   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...unless MSIL brings the Jimny at 10 Lakhs price as being speculated at the moment.
The Jimny will not be less than 16-18 Lakh rupees. They will use the 2500 numbers CBU option, see the response and then decide how to proceed. It is approximately 10L in Japan and around 15L in USA. How can they sell it at 10L here?

My guess is the Jimny India story will end with these 2500 units should it ever happen. Given the pathetic response to the GV, Kizashi etc. I doubt we will see the Jimny in India at all.

The Gypsy arrived and survived because of armed forces contracts. I can't see the Jimny as a viable defense mobility vehicle in this day and age.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:35   #685
Senior - BHPian

Hope Mahindra makes at least two versions of Thar. One, for hard core off-road enthusiasts with bare-bones features but with 4-wheel drive capabilities. And, the other variant for regular car users who want something with high GC to tackle our urban jungle of bad roads and potholes but with butch traditional Jeep look. The second variant does need all bells and whistles and proper AT. Not AMT.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 22:30   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And, the other variant for regular car users who want something with high GC to tackle our urban jungle of bad roads and potholes but with butch traditional Jeep look. The second variant does need all bells and whistles and proper AT. Not AMT.
Plus front facing rear seats for regular family users.
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:18   #687
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The Jimny will not be less than 16-18 Lakh rupees. They will use the 2500 numbers CBU option, see the response and then decide how to proceed. It is approximately 10L in Japan and around 15L in USA. How can they sell it at 10L here?

They can't. They are planning to shift the production to India.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...at-plant-55704
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 05:03   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I doubt we will see the Jimny in India at all.
If brought in via the CBU route, Jimny will never survive. From news snippets and reports from the company is planning to manufacture it locally for India and export markets. The power train combination offered in the Jimny already available in India in various Maruti Suzuki models.

Besides Maruti is sitting on excess capacity in in's plants and with the capacity shortage in the japan plant for Jimny, it is a wise move to start production in India.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:30   #689
BHPian

Spotted the car in Chennai last week, those lights were LED. Unfortunately, couldn’t capture the front.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-b238e190ec294a12a72b5f27da933a1a.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:47   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Spotted the car in Chennai last week, those lights were LED. Unfortunately, couldn’t capture the front.
That is the soft-top with the steel wheels. Probably the base trim. Missing the VPO-EXTN(25) sticker at least at the rear since the time it was spotted last.

Does anyone have any idea what the markings/serial numbers mean?

They seem to come in three varieties:

1. The 'P' series. These are the ones spotted so far:
- P13
- P15
- P24
- P28
- P34
- P41
- P43
- P51

2. The temp registration based:
- TN19/TC/xxxx
- MH15/TC/xxxx
Sometimes they go beyond the four digits
example:
TN19/TC/XX/XXX

3. The 'K' series:
- K43
- K60
- K71
- K72
- K80
- K84
- K88
- K90
- K96
- K103
- K117
- K141

These sometimes have additional bits like V2, VPO-EXTN(XXX)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks