Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 10:15   #556
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Is there any sign of the rumoured forward facing rear seats? No sign of it in the soft top, and not visible in any of the pictures of the hard top.

Will this pass the modern crash test norms with the side facing seats?
Old 10th February 2020, 10:18   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

I received a few more pictures of the new Thar through whatsapp. All credits to the respective person who took the pictures.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200209-11.55.55-1.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200209-11.55.55.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200209-11.55.56.jpeg
neil.jericho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:53   #558
Senior - BHPian

These are awesome pictures. The vehicle looks absolutely stunning and production ready. I noticed some wedges on the bonnet. There are three raised wedges / scoops on the bonnet, any idea what they are . Could be air dams for the intercooler etc.

Also the passenger door has a long diagonal strip across the length of of the door. I wonder what that is. I have noticed this in earlier photos as well.

The rear windscreen looks smashing. Flush mounted with glass embedded handles at top I think.

Can't wait to see this in the flesh.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:56   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I received a few more pictures of the new Thar through whatsapp. All credits to the respective person who took the pictures.
Which car is there behind the new Thar in camouflage?
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 13:07   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know what it is, since the dimensions are all quite different. But the soft top next gen Thar immediately reminds me of the old Bolero Camper edition they had on sale in last decade.
Quote:
Is it just me or the front windshield looks a bit disproportionately small for the car's overall size? Its even shorter in height than the front side windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
These are awesome pictures. The vehicle looks absolutely stunning and production ready. I noticed some wedges on the bonnet. There are three raised wedges / scoops on the bonnet, any idea what they are . Could be air dams for the intercooler etc.
Thar doesn't generally get the intercooler placed up-top. I don't think it needs it considering there's plenty of space at the front for a much more efficient implementation.

The wedges and pieces you see on bonnet/doors are just usual foam/fiber bits added to try and create a deformed visual & not give away the real lines, shape & design clues. Have to say, its a bit redundant in case of Thar though; and the effort is also really lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'd say Marazzo BSVI facelift.
Old 10th February 2020, 13:09   #561
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1968399
The front bumper looks so deep and wide that 2 people can sit on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The car behind the Thar should be the BS6 Marazzo.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:49   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

I received a few more pictures over social media.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200211-07.23.25-1.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200211-07.23.25.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200211-07.23.24-1.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-whatsapp-image-20200211-07.23.24.jpeg

I just wish Mahindra had showcased the Thar at the Auto Expo!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:38   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
......Is it just me or the front windshield looks a bit disproportionately small for the car's overall size? Its even shorter in height than the front side windows.

The wedges and pieces you see on bonnet/doors are just usual foam/fiber bits added to try and create a deformed visual & not give away the real lines, shape & design clues. ........
No, it's not just you. Even I think that in these set of pics, the front windshield looks disproportionately small.

But could it be that it's part of the effort to create a deformed visual, since part of the windshield is covered by camouflage material?
Quote:
...........I just wish Mahindra had showcased the Thar at the Auto Expo!
The Auto Expo concludes today. How many of the new models displayed at the Expo can you recall? I can only recall the Creta, probably because the pic I saw had Shah Rukh Khan posing alongside.

With so much riding on the launch of this vehicle for M&M, the company has decided to get the maximum mileage from the launch.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:28   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post

No, it's not just you. Even I think that in these set of pics, the front windshield looks disproportionately small.
Please check out the Wrangler pics. Almost same size small windshield. This is result of high bonnet, just like in Wrangler. What you find negative, I find positive. The old Thar had very low bonnet and big windshield. Not good-looking at all. When the new one hits the road, park new one next to old Thar and see for yourself which looks better.
Old 11th February 2020, 13:27   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But could it be that it's part of the effort to create a deformed visual, since part of the windshield is covered by camouflage material?
Nah, not covered - look at where the wipers are installed. That's their final place anyway. So the windshield surely is higher and smaller in relation to side windows.
Quote:
The Auto Expo concludes today. How many of the new models displayed at the Expo can you recall? I can only recall the Creta, probably because the pic I saw had Shah Rukh Khan posing alongside.
I remember the Sierra, Jimny, Brezza face-lift, Harrier update and so on. As long as the car makes an impact - people remember it. And the THAR sure would have made an awesome impact. I really wish they could showcase it there. Look at it from another angle - I feel M&M wasted a huge amount of money in participating in the auto expo. They had very little to showcase. It was as if they opened a large temporary showroom for current cars. Nothing else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Please check out the Wrangler pics. Almost same size small windshield. This is result of high bonnet, just like in Wrangler. What you find negative, I find positive. The old Thar had very low bonnet and big windshield. Not good-looking at all. When the new one hits the road, park new one next to old Thar and see for yourself which looks better.
Yep, looks are subjective of course & everyone has own likes and dislikes. I for instance, like the old Willy's Jeep / MM550 / current THAR looks way more than the Wrangler. Since the new Thar will resemble the Wrangler, my liking will stay the same too. Its the "old" looks of the Jeep that I love. Not the modernization. That's where my thoughts came from above. That's all. I didn't mean the car looks "bad". Its like the new Creta - some like it & some don't.
Old 11th February 2020, 17:17   #566
BHPian

The new mStallion turbo-charged TGDi petrol engines will be offered with the XUV300, Marazzo, Thar, Scorpio and the XUV500 as well, showcased at 2020 Auto Expo

Source: Gaadiwaadi

link: https://gaadiwaadi.com/next-gen-mahi...ol-engine/amp/
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 19:21   #567
BHPian

^^ This is not news. We already knew it, right ? There is already a thread running for the XUV300's new engine with 130 bhp. I would like to know what engine they would plonk in the Thar though. Will it be the 1.5L or the 2.0L ?

Quote:

You sound more like a Bollywood fan than a car enthusiast !! Just kidding....

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 11th February 2020 at 19:24.
Old 11th February 2020, 21:00   #568
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that Thar will have both Petrol and Diesel engine options or only the Petrol..
Old 11th February 2020, 21:15   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, you are right about the resemblance to the Wrangler. But then, it appears that M&M have used the Wangler as a model whilst developing the New Thar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Nah, not covered - look at where the wipers are installed. That's their final place anyway. So the windshield surely is higher and smaller in relation to side windows.

I remember the Sierra, Jimny, Brezza face-lift, Harrier update and so on. As long as the car makes an impact - people remember it. And the THAR sure would have made an awesome impact. I really wish they could showcase it there. Look at it from another angle - I feel M&M wasted a huge amount of money in participating in the auto expo. They had very little to showcase. It was as if they opened a large temporary showroom for current cars. Nothing else!

Yep, looks are subjective of course & everyone has own likes and dislikes. I for instance, like the old Willy's Jeep / MM550 / current THAR looks way more than the Wrangler. Since the new Thar will resemble the Wrangler, my liking will stay the same too. Its the "old" looks of the Jeep that I love. Not the modernization. That's where my thoughts came from above. That's all. I didn't mean the car looks "bad". Its like the new Creta - some like it & some don't.
Looks like I missed the wipers

Now that you mention it, yes I do recall the Jimny. And also the disclaimer that it was only on display as a concept vehicle, with no plans in the offing to launch it in India. As regards M&M, being a big player in the auto sector, it had no choice but to participate.

Like you, I too am a aficionado of the Classic or Retro look. But given all the other bells and whistles that are reported to have been introduced, this modern look will not be a deal-breaker for me. Subject, of course, to performance and price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
^^ ........You sound more like a Bollywood fan than a car enthusiast !! Just kidding....
I am neither a Bollywood fan, in general nor a Shah Rukh fan, in particular. Its just his funny pose in front of the Creta, that caught my attention Looks like he earned his fee
Zezé is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:47   #570
Senior - BHPian

There is video going around, revealing some parts of interior of next generation Thar.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks