Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 15:41   #511
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Received via Whatsapp.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar2020-crashed.jpg
arungeorge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 16:30   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Received via Whatsapp.

Attachment 1957061
The car has taken the impact well, I'm happy with whatever platform has been used for the next gen Thar. Wish the photographer could take more detailed close up pics of other interior and exterior bits of the puzzles around the That's final design.
Old 14th January 2020, 19:32   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received via Whatsapp.

Attachment 1957061
The Thar seems to have damaged its fender and front right tyre and suspension. The toppled vehicle on the extreme left is that a Maruti Omni or a Tavera. Couldn't make out from the picture but it seems one of these two.

Looks to be an overtaking maneuver gone wrong.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 21:45   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Received via Whatsapp.
What's with Mahindra? As far as I remember, since the XUV5OO, the test mules have been meeting with some or the other accident. TUV3OO had met with an accident in Ghats, the new generation Scorpio was on fire. I hope the sales of new Thar scale the success of XUV5OO.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 22:09   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What's with Mahindra? As far as I remember, since the XUV5OO, the test mules have been meeting with some or the other accident. TUV3OO had met with an accident in Ghats, the new generation Scorpio was on fire. I hope the sales of new Thar scale the success of XUV5OO.
I think the drivers with their overreaching enthusiasm often drive these test mules to their limits. In difficult conditions things become unforgiving. The Thar accident clearly shows night time and heavy rain.
Old 14th January 2020, 22:40   #516
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Received via Whatsapp.

Attachment 1957061
This crash looks similar to the small overlap test conducted by the IIHS of USA. At the outset, the cabin appears to be intact and while I cannot decipher from the pictures, I hope that the driver footwell held up without too much intrusion - the small overlap test is quite stringent and IIHS conducts it for both the driver and passenger sides - this is significant because the force of the impact is usually taken by the wheel which in turn smashes directly into the firewall.

I am unable to make out any deflated airbags from the picture also. I feel that the other vehicle involved in the crash would have sustained more damage. Overall it appears that the new Thar has good structural rigidity but one can only know for sure if we have the speed of the vehicles when the crash took place and more pictures from inside the vehicle.

Last edited by SR7 : 14th January 2020 at 22:42.
SR7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:20   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received via Whatsapp.
Is this the one that was going for winter test drive yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Part of crash tests probably.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:48   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
This crash looks similar to the small overlap test conducted by the IIHS of USA. At the outset, the cabin appears to be intact and while I cannot decipher from the pictures, I hope that the driver footwell held up without too much intrusion - the small overlap test is quite stringent and IIHS conducts it for both the driver and passenger sides - this is significant because the force of the impact is usually taken by the wheel which in turn smashes directly into the firewall.

I am unable to make out any deflated airbags from the picture also. I feel that the other vehicle involved in the crash would have sustained more damage. Overall it appears that the new Thar has good structural rigidity but one can only know for sure if we have the speed of the vehicles when the crash took place and more pictures from inside the vehicle.
Thar is a body on frame vehicle. The wheels and suspension are mounted on the chassis and it is very difficult for this type of setup to fold up into the footwell. The chassis takes the brunt of the impact and in worst situations the wheel would shear off completely.

What is however clear is that the body took the impact quite maturely , there is no distortion on the windshield and door area as far as I can see. Hope the real thing proves this all to be right.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:05   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Part of crash tests probably.
No manufacturer will try to crash test their vehicles out in the open. They have the testing facility in their plant or at some other places where they can test their vehicles and fetch some data out of it which would serve the purpose of crash testing it.

There is too much risk involved and no one with half a sane mind would even think of trying to crash test their vehicle out in the open. Anyone can get hurt, police would get involved, there are far too many risks involved.

Vehicle testing is a tough job. Sometimes, vehicles are run for days together, in harsh weather conditions, to extreme places, so, a driver just may not cope with it and might bin it. Though, there are almost always few vehicles and plenty of drivers together.

It was just an accident I believe.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:16   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like an accident alright. If the other party in the accident indeed is an Omni - I hope the occupants survived. If this is the damage on what is presumably a stronger vehicle than the Omni, I'm dreading how the face of the Omni might be looking post impact. Really hoping that it was a side swipe and not a frontal hit for the little van! The Thar's FR wheel has been ripped away by the looks of it. And that won't happen in a slow impact.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 11:53   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Vehicle testing is a tough job. Sometimes, vehicles are run for days together, in harsh weather conditions, to extreme places, so, a driver just may not cope with it and might bin it. Though, there are almost always few vehicles and plenty of drivers together.
On my 2019 trip to Ladakh had seen many test mules (mostly Tata) being driven on the valley, Mughal Road and other harsh places. However, the common theme on all of them were that they were being driven hammer and tongs over extremely bad/non existent surface. In many cases too fast for other people to have to take evasive manoeuvres and move out of the way. However, some of us know that they are undertaking the risk to break it, as part of testing (point of failure) but they actually carry it out on public roads (perhaps the automotive industry as a whole, should think about setting up a high altitude, harsh condition testing facility)
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 00:44   #522
BHPian

I was travelling from Lonavla to Pune via old Mumbai Pune Highway and got a view of the camouflaged Thar. The pickup seemed to be far better than the old model. We were driving alongside it for a few Km. My friend took a video of the new Thar while I was driving. I'll get it from him and post it here soon.
Old 19th January 2020, 09:12   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
I was travelling from Lonavla to Pune via old Mumbai Pune Highway and got a view of the camouflaged Thar. The pickup seemed to be far better than the old model. We were driving alongside it for a few Km. My friend took a video of the new Thar while I was driving. I'll get it from him and post it here soon.
Great catch, do post the video soon. Awaiting eagerly. When you say far better, do you mean the stance or size or something else.
Old 19th January 2020, 09:22   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
When you say far better, do you mean the stance or size or something else.
When we spotted the vehicle we started driving along with it. The Thar driver slowed down. So we too had to slow down. Then he accelerated his Thar and found his way between the vehicles, overtaking them. Visually it felt like the pickup was better than the previous model I had seen.
Old 19th January 2020, 11:38   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
When we spotted the vehicle we started driving along with it. The Thar driver slowed down. So we too had to slow down. Then he accelerated his Thar and found his way between the vehicles, overtaking them. Visually it felt like the pickup was better than the previous model I had seen.
That's good. Perhaps the new engine is better. Still not clearly known if its coming with a 2.0 or a 2.5L engine.

Please post the video when you can.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks