Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 18:12   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Top Variant Next Gen. Thar spied:

Quote:
Gets new 5-spoke alloy wheels.

Features disc brakes at all four corners.

Will get factory fitted hard-top version this time around.

Expect it to attract a price hike over the current model, especially for the hard-top version.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra0-1.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra0-2.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra0.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 18:33   #467
Senior - BHPian

Even though the vehicle looks like a rip-off of the Jeep Wrangler, I still admire Mahindra for taking their time and effort in developing the all new Thar, which I am sure they know is not going to bring in huge sales numbers.

The 2020 Thar looks promising indeed. I like how they have refined the exterior and interior, but still sticking to it's roots, which the Thar is admired for. I like the visible door hinges and the bonnet locks. The stance of the vehicle looks great too.

I just hope it offers a fine balance between on road and off road.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 20:45   #468
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Even though the vehicle looks like a rip-off of the Jeep Wrangler, I still admire Mahindra for taking their time and effort in developing the all new Thar, which I am sure they know is not going to bring in huge sales numbers.
Dont get carried away with the 'all new' I was informed that the chassis was from the current Scorpio/TUV300. The engine and tranny is from upcoming Scorpio and the design of course is lifted from the Wrangler.

As for numbers I am sure it will be pushed heavily to Defence, Police etc.

Peraonally I am worried that it is going to be a bit too wide for our narrow Indian off road tracks/ narrow rural roads. I hope I am wrong on this front.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th December 2019 at 20:53. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 00:28   #469
SR7
BHPian

The vehicle looks butch with good road presence! I feel with all these new feature additions, the bump in the power output of the engine and with a 4 x 4 system, the upcoming Thar would be priced around ₹12 lakhs ex-showroom for the top variant. The base variant should be priced around ₹8 - ₹9 lakhs to sell in rural target markets and will make up a majorly of sales. Yes, it will obviously resemble the Wrangler, M&M had acquired new Wranglers while developing the new Thar
Old 25th December 2019, 01:03   #470
Senior - BHPian

While we berate Chinese car makers of copy-cat designs and intellectual plagiarism, here is an Indian car maker who despite, the recent Roxer lawsuits in the US, is heavily dependent on the cues and designs of the JEEP wranger for its next knockoff imitation. With their budget and R&D expertise (Why not use Pininfarina?), how difficult is it to come with a wannable design for their products?
iTNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 02:51   #471
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wonder how many Airbags it will have. And of course ABS and TCS and ESP and all those safety related Electronic Nannies.
And then I'd be pleased to know its NCAP and ANCAP safety rating too.
If Jeep Wrangler despite being re-designed ground up, can still get such a low rating, then I wonder what kind of rating the 'All New' Thar will receive.

'Tis the Season of 'All new' retro mobiles/ Utility vehicles - Wrangler JL, Suzuki Jimny, New Land Rover Defender and 'All New' Mahindra Thar.
Old 25th December 2019, 05:10   #472
Senior - BHPian

I dont expect it to have more than 2 airbags. There would be ABS , but thats it i guess. For a car that has such history of bare bones safety equipment, to equip it with electronic nannies like ESP/TC would seem outrageous to the manufacturer.
Old 25th December 2019, 08:37   #473
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I dont expect it to have more than 2 airbags. There would be ABS , but thats it i guess. For a car that has such history of bare bones safety equipment, to equip it with electronic nannies like ESP/TC would seem outrageous to the manufacturer.

Im thinking the safety kit offered in the Thar at the very least has to be as much as what the Wrangler offers.
Old 25th December 2019, 08:41   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im thinking the safety kit offered in the Thar at the very least has to be as much as what the Wrangler offers.
Mahindra most probably wont, because the authorities mandate bare minimum standards. Ideally by now, no car should have been on the roads without atleast dual airbags and AbS/ Ebd. But the government has let its feet get dragged by the auto lobby.
Old 25th December 2019, 15:14   #475
BANNED

More images are surfacing as the launch is nearing. It's quite an upgrade from the current generation Thar.

Source: MotorWorldIndia
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-3.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-1.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-8.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-7.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-6.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-4.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-5.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-9.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-mahindra-thar-2.jpg  

wheelguy is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:28   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
It's quite an upgrade from the current generation Thar.
It sure is! The more I get to know of it, the more I am inclined to believe that it will be a very good combination of a daily drive (due to good comfort levels & all the bells/whistles thrown in), lifestyle vehicle (well, its a jeep ), and of course, a fairly good off-roader to venture into the yonder once in a while. The current generation Thar is able to do all of this but this one will take the game to a whole new level, at least on the first 2 fronts Now for the most important part, pricing! Bring it on, M&M!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th December 2019 at 18:36.
Old 25th December 2019, 18:47   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
It sure is! The more I get to know of it, the more I am inclined to believe that it will be a very good combination of a daily drive (due to good comfort levels & all the bells/whistles thrown in), lifestyle vehicle (well, its a jeep ), and of course, a fairly good off-roader to venture into the yonder once in a while. The current generation Thar is able to do all of this but this one will take the game to a whole new level, at least on the first 2 fronts Now for the most important part, pricing! Bring it on, M&M!!
Same feeling here. I cant wait to see it in the flesh. Those two gear levers are a joy to see. I also see a flip type key, various buttons below the MID display, buttons below the right side AC vent. It definitely looks like it has a lot of gear. The silhouette looks great, just like Wrangler, just hope that the fit and finish is good enough.

As a keen offroader, I would not mind the absence of all the electronic trickery at all. All these make the vehicle less reliable unless you are in Prado league of vehicles. Even ABS is a hazard when you are in some really difficult terrain.

For a no nonsense 4x4 this seems to be coming out rather nicely.

Last edited by Traveler : 25th December 2019 at 18:51.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:57   #478
Team-BHP Support

Somehow, the wheel / alloy design does not appear completely mew to me, this reminds me of the Scorpio, in its W-105 iteration or where variants of S-10/ S-8 were available. And this may point out to [maybe] 17 inch tires.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 20:25   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
.......And this may point out to [maybe] 17 inch tires.
Quoting a post below. Those are indeed new 18 inchers. Overall looking at the pics the only piece left in the puzzle is a good ride quality.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4715613

Infact someone pointed out that it's not the same size as a fortuner. Yes true and another point is that this is actually a larger tire than even the fortuner and endeavour.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 25th December 2019 at 20:53.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 23:41   #480
Senior - BHPian

For some reason, this reminds me of the latest gen jimny. I like it nicely. I just hope that in the nearer future, it comes with an AT, that would have been lovely.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks