Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 12:22   #526
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The toppled vehicle on the extreme left is that a Maruti Omni or a Tavera. Couldn't make out from the picture but it seems one of these two.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-27.jpeg

Image source: gaadiwaadi.com

The other vehicle is an Omni. Given the Thar's position facing the opposite direction on the road, it looks like a miscalculated overtake maneuver by the Thar.
sharc_biker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:09   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Today, the company has, for the first time, confirmed that the next-gen Thar is under development and will see a world premiere this year. However, as widely expected, the model won’t see an Auto Expo 2020 unveil. The company will reveal the next-gen SUV at a separate event a little after the Expo.

The new Thar will come with Mahindra’s tried-and-tested 2.2-litre diesel engine with a BS6 emission upgrade.
Source: Autocar India

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...po-2020-415712
sechebe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:10   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
From a marketing perspective it makes sense for M&M to opt for a stand alone launch of the New Thar. After having allocated INR 50 cr for the promotion of the vehicle it wouldn't want attention to be diverted away from the Thar to other launches at the Auto Expo next month.

All in all, it appears that the company, having taken on board suggestions of potential users, is betting big on the potential of the New Thar. Hope the Thar lives up to our expectations on the road. Other things being equal, pricing is going to be the deal breaker.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:46   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Hope the Thar lives up to our expectations on the road. Other things being equal, pricing is going to be the deal breaker.
Hope we get something which is somewhat comparable to Jeep Compass at Indian prices sans the rattles and vibrations.
Old 29th January 2020, 14:42   #530
BHPian

slalom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:34   #531
SR7
BHPian

I spotted a Thar test mule this morning at the Ashok Nagar 11th Avenue - KFC intersection, I managed to get a couple of pictures. The vehicle had good road presence and offered a high seating position from what I could determine sitting in an Elantra. I’m unable to spot the left front turn indicator - looks like it is either missing or covered. Is that a DRL in the front right fender above the indicator or reflection of white coloured paint in the sunlight in the highlighted area circled in red? Could be a DRL as this looks like a top-end hardtop variant with alloy wheels and side-steps.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-d20a0ee23edf4f2abe9fb944474b6428.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-6afdab9962c14767a7ed23beb139cf04.jpeg  

SR7 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:10   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
The car seems impressively refined for a diesel. No noise and no camera vibrations either. Also the RVM is of the D/N type which suggests that the hard top will have a moulded roof lining.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th January 2020 at 21:11. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post. Thanks.
Old 29th January 2020, 19:26   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
True, petrol 4x4s are such a blast to drive. I don't know why people love diesels when the transfer case on a 4x4 makes up for the torque difference between the engines.
And to top it off petrol 4x4s are lighter, smoother and sound better.
I'm a diesel lover just for two reasons.
  1. Low end torque capable of lugging full load even in inclines.
  2. Turbo charger boost and the resulting picup in highways is a joy.

Once I started to use the Fiat Diesel 1.3, I realized my Ritz was capable of pulling the full load at incline and hold the whole load without the need of resorting to hand brake or half clutch + throttle. The ECU constantly changed the engine RPM to avoid engine stall while I was able to hold with half clutch!

Even after 11 years it still rocks!

When my dad said diesel is fun than petrol I didn't realize, but later I realized!

But still I love my M800 5 speed and it's pickup, still for highway, based on my experience Turbo Diesel rocks!

My dad is a jeep lover and with 2020 Thar seeming to have the creature comforts, if launched with auto gear and AWD, I would buy and make him drive. But I prefer manual gear and this is putting me in a this or that situation thinking :(

Last edited by Kannan : 29th January 2020 at 19:29.
Kannan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:00   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The car seems impressively refined for a diesel. No noise and no camera vibrations either. Also the RVM is of the D/N type which suggests that the hard top will have a moulded roof lining.
The gear knob on the transfer case attracted my attention. So many gear ratios.

I understand that they would have just plonked on for testing.
nishkamm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:07   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Is it definitely a diesel?

M&M did announce they were developing a new generation of BS6 petrol engones, there was talk of a 185ps 2 litre unit.
Old 29th January 2020, 21:55   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Is it definitely a diesel?

M&M did announce they were developing a new generation of BS6 petrol engones, there was talk of a 185ps 2 litre unit.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200129215300.png

If you look at the sticker on the left of the screenshot [W-501 ABS Diesel ...], it is a Diesel engine vehicle equipped with ABS unit.
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:58   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Attachment 1962485

If you look at the sticker on the left of the screenshot [W-501 ABS Diesel ...], it is a Diesel engine vehicle equipped with ABS unit.
The auto-enthusiast uploader of the video confirms that it's an all new engine (via comment). But some auto websites (Autocar India et al) says it will be 2.2mHawk BS6 Version whereas others say Mahindra will have their all new 2.0 Diesel debut in the New Thar.

Now, 2.2mhawk is tried and tested but an old engine which will be replaced by the 2.0 Diesel, in Next gen Scorpio & XUV500. So will they plonk an older engine (2.2) in the New Thar for short term, assuming that it gets replaced by 2.0 eventually?
Old 30th January 2020, 07:50   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The auto-enthusiast uploader of the video confirms that it's an all new engine (via comment). But some auto websites (Autocar India et al) says it will be 2.2mHawk BS6 Version whereas others say Mahindra will have their all new 2.0 Diesel debut in the New Thar.

Now, 2.2mhawk is tried and tested but an old engine which will be replaced by the 2.0 Diesel, in Next gen Scorpio & XUV500. So will they plonk an older engine (2.2) in the New Thar for short term, assuming that it gets replaced by 2.0 eventually?
Yes the speculations were always there that the new Thar will have an all new engine, I was just confirming that it is not a Petrol variant, and is a Diesel variant as can clearly be seen in the screenshot I attached. It may have the new engine, I can not comment on what displacement it will have. I just shared what I saw to help the other enthusiasts know that this is not a video of a Petrol engined variant, and is a Diesel car indeed.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:48   #539
BHPian

Captured this video along the way from Lonavla to Pune
vikrantshete is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:47   #540
BHPian

Quote:
............So will they plonk an older engine (2.2) in the New Thar for short term, assuming that it gets replaced by 2.0 eventually?
As far as I am aware, the development of the New Thar has been in the pipeline for at least three years and I am sure that by this stage the final decision regarding the engine has already been taken.

In fact, though production of the current Thar stopped after 1 October 2019, the company has not allowed itself to be pushed into launching the new vehicle.

So I doubt very much that M&M will plonk an older engine [2.2] in the New Thar for the short term with the intention of replacing it with a all new engine [2.0] down the line. It would result in bad optics, which M&M can ill afford.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks