Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 18:53   #1261
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Just love what Mahindra has done here!

I have a family of two and mostly drive alone to office and back except for the weekends. I was in the market for a 15 lakh petrol automatic car for my daily drive and was about to go the Seltos way before the pandemic and postponed the buying decision to next year. But now this seems like a no brainer especially with wifey's hatch back which can seat 4 comfortably, if required. If Thar petrol auto is priced not too far off from 15 lakhs, Mahindra can take my money but anything too north of that would get me rethinking.

Four doors would have been an absolute killer, but I can compromise on that part to make a childhood dream come true. Its going to be a very long wait for 2nd October. And I don't mind the ugly grill as its obviously done to stay away from any legal complications from Jeep. Plus it gives me the chance to make it even better and personalized.
IN07KL0484 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:56   #1262
BHPian

From a current Thar owner !

The new Thar looks fantastic and congratulations for all the effort Mahindra has put in to bring this out. But still, what is the customer segment Mahindra aims to conquer ?

Customers who wants this niche, unique vehicle as their second or third car. Majority of current Thar customers are like that baring a few who use it for daily drive

Wealthy singletons, young couples and couples with just a small child. More than this, it won’t suit as their is no luggage space, may not be comfortable as a regular car in the rear, no boot space etc., even for this set of customers, depending on the price point it may be placed, there will still be fierce comparison with other cars like CSUVs etc where Thar will have only one USP which is a 4X4 and macho looks

I do not think of any other segment of customers for this except for some wealthy farmers who wants to load farm produce in this stylish powerful Jeep !

Also with a fibre top, this will not be considered by an “Indian family” who would still feel a regular car/CSUV with a proper monocoque body is the safest inspite of ABS, Airbags being provided in a Thar

So, definitely there will be many upgrades from existing Thar owners plus the above set of customers depending on the pricing which will end up to 1000-1300 units per month from the current Thar range of 600-700 units which is definitely laudable.

Mahindra would know this fact and hence they would price this higher for margins and not for volumes. They are definitely not competing with any CSUVs or their numbers. It is not going to come cheap for sure and hence people who are looking to buy this, prepare to pay more for the niche, powerful engines, macho looks, 4X4 transfer case and a Wrangler look alike.

After an year once all the niggles settles down, I may buy one as my primary vehicle with all these upgrades, as, even during 2014 , I bought a Thar and used it as a primary vehicle 😂 for 2 years before I pushed it down to secondary status.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:01   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
That grille is hideous. Rest is amazing!
Finally the baby is born. Phew...

+1 to the grille.
Looks straight out of the Bolero.

Don't understand the thinking on side facing seats in AX version, hope the conversion is possible fairly easily.

4x4 - is standard but have they provided an option to disengage/ freewheel the front wheels? If not how will full time 4x4 reflect on the fuel economy?

Rear is multi link suspension, but what has been employed up front? Double wishbone or McPherson?

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2020 at 14:02. Reason: Typo
Old 15th August 2020, 19:09   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Finally the baby is born. Phew...

4x4 - is standard but have they provided an option to disengage/ freewheel the front wheels? If not how will full time 4x4 reflect on the fuel economy?
I do not think this is full time 4WD. This is like our current Thar with transfer case for using 4X4 as required and disengage.

Swami

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2020 at 20:12. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:17   #1265
Senior - BHPian

This gives me an Errie Deja-Vu when Eicher Motors showed off their Bullet Classic (yeah it was called so back then) in 2007.

Mahindra might be on the cusp of a similar event ... provided they price it right. Now don't get greedy Mahindra.

"BULLET among Indian CARS"

Last edited by payeng : 15th August 2020 at 19:32.
payeng is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:28   #1266
BHPian

Hello guys. I have been seeing the new Thar being tested for the past 1.5 years in Nasik & the way this car behaves at high speeds is something surprising. It eats almost everything on road and no matter what kind of terrain it sees it doesn't loses it's composure at all!

Today, I got the opportunity to spot all the media cars on a drive in Mumbai & the road presence is beyond belief. It looks way too premium and the old Thar look historic. The design does look it is inspired from the Wrangler but to be honest, there is a lot of difference on the road.

And talking about the grille, it isn't really a setback when on the road because as a whole package, it is jaw-dropping.

Here is the link to the video

300 KMPH is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:29   #1267
BHPian

Does it get electically adjustable orvms? I can't see the knob anywhere nor any mention in the feature list.
The placement of power window control is not the best. Place an aftermarket armrest and you have a big ergonomic issue.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:32   #1268
BHPian

One day, a typical middle-class family goes to the market for some grocery shopping. A producer spots the wife and offers a chance in his movie. She jumps at it and goes on to become a superstar. Away from home amidst all the glitz and glamour for a few years, one day the wife returns back to her home. Everyone in the street is excited to see her. Neighbors are proud and the fans go berserk. But deep down, the husband & kids are not happy. They yearn for those times where the whole family was together. But they can't let their emotions show. They act happy because it is good for her & her future. She goes back and a few years later chokes on her own vomit. life goes on. The End.
Like the husband in the story, I am one of the few who do not like the new Thar. But, good for her. She is now a superstar. I am happy for her.
She looks great in the pictures, but my heart is not happy over this new avatar. It looks like the classic look of the JEEP is slowly getting diluted and evolving towards the bolero'ish face which I hate. The same happened with the Jeep USA. After CJ5, they brought in the wrangler and then something else and got lost. Looks like this is happening here as well. The makeup is a bit gaudy in the front with all those plastic. May be to pass the pedestrian safety tests or so... (the video reveals more). She also feels very heavy.
But that's just me. I shall stick to my humble MM550 for a few more years.

Regards,
Krishna.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2020 at 14:07. Reason: Typo
kittigadu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:38   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A whole new generation of Thar is here and 95% of the complaints are about that grille.
I am quite sure Mahindra will address that complaint by launching the Wrangler grille as a standard accessory.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 15th August 2020 at 19:40.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:47   #1270
BHPian

The 2020 Thar in Mystic Copper shade. Note: this is the same shade that was introduced in the 2018 (Plush) XUV5OO.
I must say that the shades on offer are very appealing & sophisticated, kudos to Mahindra . Hoping to see lots of them on the road.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815193813__01.jpg
Saurav_Nair is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:56   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Am I wrong in anticipating a "Long-Wheelbase-Version with Proper 5 Doors and a Proper Metal Hard Top"??

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2020 at 14:08. Reason: Grammar
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:59   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
I am wrong in anticipating a "Long-Wheelbase-Version with Proper 5 Doors and a Proper Metal Hard Top"??
Yes you are. Stretch this anymore and you get a Trax Toofan.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th August 2020 at 10:11. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Red Liner is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:02   #1273
BANNED

Although it’s too early to talk about pricing but when I look at it, I don’t find top end to be a 20ish product. The max to max figure I believe on road for the top-end diesel/ petrol auto should not cross 15lk. If Mahindra is looking at lifestyle tag, I think the numbers would not be good in long run and secondly the economy conditions would limit quite a few of them. Not many Indian families can have extra lifestyle vehicles in there garages.
Also I think Mahindra has charged pretty premium for previous gen Thar already so they should ideally price Thar more reasonably.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2020 at 15:10. Reason: thar -> Thar
Old 15th August 2020, 20:12   #1274
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Thar coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Does it get electically adjustable orvms? I can't see the knob anywhere nor any mention in the feature list.
The placement of power window control is not the best. Place an aftermarket armrest and you have a big ergonomic issue.
I have the same question going on in my mind. From what I have seen, there is not even internally adjustable manual ORVMs. Hope there is an after-market option available.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2020 at 15:04. Reason: Typo
Kannan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:13   #1275
BHPian

A lighter take on the Inspirer & Inspiree!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200815wa0140.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks