Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 16:18   #1231
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I have done a lot of research in the market (a very big thanks to all the Team-BHP reviews) but I was not able to find one true blue SUV which is neither exorbitantly priced nor as dated as a dinosaur. One SUV which I can take all over India without breaking my bones or worrying about reliability.

After much deliberation I had settled down on the mighty Endeavour and started saving up for the same as that was the only complete package in the market in my opinion, I was eyeing jealously to all the mid range 4x4 SUVs that India never got from manufacturers.

But Boy oh Boy, Mahindra has done it, this is the vehicle I wanted all this time, I am not a very hardcore off road enthusiast so LX Automatic Petrol variant takes my money but not before next year festive season as the ironing out process for niggles will take at least that much. Only deterrent could be if it comes up to ~25 Lakh on-road.

All the wait was worthwhile, and a very big congratulations to every single person who have made the Thar first gen and second gen and in turn made this day possible.
darkLightning is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:19   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrwagh View Post
With absolute no boot space I dont think this will appeal to masses as Mahindra feels.
Attachment 2043162

I was thinking about it..me and my wife spent 15 minutes going through the pictures. First she saw the way to the back seat and then this hump. Later we came to know of negligible boot space.Lastly, the last seat windows do not open .

I guess i will pass this and wait for XUV 500 upgrade in 2021. This is a niche product with specific user base in mind. I don't see family written anywhere near it.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:21   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
With so high torque at such low RPM coming out of the petrol, its a no brainer that serious offroaders and folks with farm and estate use will go for the petrol variant.
To clarify, I loved the looks and also that it is a vehicle which, unlike the previous Thar, can be used as a primary and a weekend car. I am only a little apprehensive about it's pricing. The new Thar would be an easy choice for me to make if it is priced along the lines of the Duster, Creta, Scorpio and the Seltos. If done so, it will sell like hot pancakes especially in tier 2 and 3 towns and villages of India where Creta, brezza and all other semi-SUVs have been dominating.

However, if Mahindra places it around the 20L bracket, which I think it will most likely do, then one would seriously have to weigh the quality being offered by Thar with the likes of Toyota Crysta or a 2-3 year old fortuner.

For farm use too, I would not want diesel and fertilizers spilling in my 20L vehicle. A v cross, tata xenon, thar DI would be more of a practical choice.

But who knows Mahindra might just pleasantly surprise us on the 2nd of October. Fingers crossed.
Old 15th August 2020, 16:22   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Whats the tire size on the AX variant? The LX has 255 65 R18. An odd size which is not available in India now. So, limited options when you are looking to change tyres.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I guess it is the same size as the old Thar CRDi's 235/70/R16s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Are you sure? If this is the case, the resulting overall wheel diameter will be different enoug to cause significant variance in indicated speed and actual speed between the two wheels, not to mention differences in odo and gear.

Cheers
It'll be 245/75R16.
Source: https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...dra-thar-57032
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:22   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

The grille. Damn if you do, damn it you don't.

Definitely a last minute change, but don't think anyone needs to fret over it.

Like who is going to keep it stock? It is like a blank canvas. And a good one at that. If anyone would read Behram Dhabhar sir's posts during the 1st gen Thar's development phase, this would have been his vision. Except that Mahindra of the late 2000s couldn't accommodate it.

The grille and those protrusions just below the headlights.
Change these two things and you got a looker. Modding the fenders is of personal choice.

That said. Here is atlast a vehicle that feels genuinely lustful and desirable, with you fully knowing that it's not born out of lack of alternatives or choice/budget.
You can look at it and seriously say, "I want that, and am going to work hard for it if necessary".

At first glance, the AX optional has all you need.
Then again, you lose stuff like the ESP, roll cage, 3, point rear seatbelts and ISOFIX.
Can excuse the last two features as maybe typo error in the website. Since you should be getting those two when opting for front facing rear seats in AX opt.
But ESP and roll cage should have been standard across the range.

Also you can't have a petrol manual with hardtop?

Only the diesel seems to have the tranny, top options all across the range.

The top option should have been left for the customer's choice, regardless of the variant.

Colour options as in the website.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152628_1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152720_1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152834_1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152843_1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152857_1.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815152907_1.png

Though all my favourite jeep colours are in there, except for wild loud colours like yellow, bright blue and khakhi/desert beige.
The lack of white colour is just weird.
I wouldn't touch a white jeep as it's like a de facto government departmental vehicle or service/fleet vehicle colour choice.
Still at the prices they are launching, there won't be guys buying it for taxi uses.
Must be one of the rarest vehicles in the world without a white colour option.
DicKy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:25   #1236

Jeepish. Rugged. Outdoorsy.

The 4X4 Thar in Galaxy Grey is my favourite, with the mStallion petrol turbo engine that can be remapped for an even higher output. It seems the petrol version only comes as an automatic. That will be a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

The softop's AX for Adventure is cool. Don't like the hardtop's LX name tag. 'Lifestyle' sounds ridiculous. They could have named it SX, 'Son of a Gun'.

Thank goodness, the city-focused LX version will still come with a 2-door. Even the individualistic Jimny is coming with a 4-door version for family-focused India.

And now, I need to find a new parking to house this beast. Maybe I will own one.
Old 15th August 2020, 16:42   #1237
BHPian

The All-New Thar -Design Story

arungeorge is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:47   #1238

Its a beauty to behold from a distance. But, come closer, disproportions start to stand out; like
1) Front bumper - too bulky. in fact, the entire front fascia need a re-work.
2) Wheel arch - 18" wheels seem to be small in it.
3) Cargo bay in roofless config - the side wall is too high. Looks like an aftermarket mod job.

Instead of the hard-top one, I wish, they made a fully built cabin. It would have been better, as the new Thar looks best in the hard-top version.

They have done a great job with the interiors. Seems to be well appointed and practical.

In short, the Thar seems to have departed from Mahindra but yet to arrive at Jeep. Its stuck in the mid-way.

Last edited by bkunnithan : 15th August 2020 at 16:54.
Old 15th August 2020, 16:51   #1239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I was looking at the AX Opt, Petrol, Manual with a Hard Top, reading the fine print tells me, idiots at Mahindra only are offering the Manual Petrol with either a Fixed ST or Manual convertible top, Hard Top is not an option.

Can someone get us more insight on what the manual convertible top would look like and what it exactly means.
I think manual convertible will come with a soft top.
Pictures for the reference from official website of Mahindra Thar:
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200815_164925.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200815_164903.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 16th August 2020 at 16:46. Reason: Typo
Gladiator_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:54   #1240
VRJ
BHPian

Re: It's a Thar. It needs an offroad bumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Gray just transforms the car. Old school Jonga vibes. Rocky Beige and Grey are my favorite colours for the Thar.

Attachment 2043182
Wow Tassem, aren’t you an expert in photoshop? I like your custom grille over the stock. Would buy one, if you’re selling. You chose dark grey for your image (which is the perfect grey IMO, the innova has it), however, Mahindra opted for a lighter shade of grey which looks like dark silver . I’m not a fan of this light greyish that Mahindra is selling. I would have purchased one in dark grey, but I guess now black is the way to go.

Lot of comments about the pricing, there’s no way this is a 20L car. Mahindra can never sell numbers if priced that high. It has to be a 15-16L on-road tops or lesser. 20l is Seltos/Creta top-end money. Seltos is a family car and it can be your only car. I personally feel a Thar cannot be your family car, no matter what Mahindra or anyone says. In case of an emergency, how will the rear occupants get out? I’m not sure how much legroom is offered, but I’m guessing tall occupants are not going to like it. So, it’s mostly for kids and short adults. I would never put my kids(not that I have any) in a place with poor accessibility. It can be a family car if it had 5 doors. I still feel the Thar is your second or third car. Others might feel different, this is just my personal opinion.

Cheers!!
VRJ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:04   #1241

I am super excited about 2 things today.

A. Thar launch
B. My BHP membership is approved

I wished the new Thar had:
-more appealing front with body color grill.
-LED headlights
-5 door option (much needed).

Looking forward to the reviews and pricing.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th August 2020 at 21:22. Reason: Mod note attached.
bheja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:14   #1242
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
That grill is a huge let down. The overall front end is actually.

Mahindra had a blank canvas to showcase a brilliant new design in its home market. Separate from aping the Jeep for decades. IMO, they have failed and it has partly to do with the whole US Roxer controversy.
The grill seems to be the most spoken part of this mighty Thar. I have a slighty different view, the grill is done in this manner deliberately to ward of Wrangler comparison and Roxr type issues in overseas markets.
The grill fits in well with the overall persona of the vehicle in most angles, except from front fascia when you grin against the grill . Its a good attempt to differentiate the design from predecessors, slight slackness in lip job should not ward off buyers, and hopefully this design will grow into most of us and may get accepted slowly, even to those who dislike it from the word go. Frankly in the videos , I never noticed the grill, only in the frontside closeup pic, it catches attention.
Old 15th August 2020, 17:34   #1243
BANNED

Credit : DSD Cars
Gladiator_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:35   #1244
Senior - BHPian

A whole new generation of Thar is here and 95% of the complaints are about that grille.

I vividly remember the unveiling of the previous generation and the disappointments at many levels.

Don't need much more to understand Mahindra has hit it out of the park during this unveiling. I just hope we all are as excited a bunch on Oct 3rd as well.

A few pictures here from Kochi.
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200815wa0022.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200815wa0019.jpg

Can't wait for more real world pictures once the embargo is lifted. I haven't felt good about a car launch in a long time over here - something that tugs the heart and at the same time feeling good about the engineers who went the distance.

I have a smile on my face since noon. And in the current circumstances, that's a huge plus! Great day!
deetjohn is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:50   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Gray just transforms the car. Old school Jonga vibes. Rocky Beige and Grey are my favorite colours for the Thar.

Attachment 2043182

Fantastic! Your version of the grill and the bumper make the new Thar far more upmarket! The current grill and the bumper seems very tacky to me. I guess Mahindra was stuck between their legacy and the possibilities of FCA pulling another fast one here. So it seems like Mahindra wanted to stick to its legacy, but yet differentiate it enough so that FCA does not have an issue. And hence this compromise on the grill design. Could they have done it better? Yes, for sure. But they seem to have done most things right, so kudos to Mahindra for that. Im sure aftermarket mods will be very popular on the new Thar, especially on the grill and the bumper.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks