Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 17:51   #1246
KPR
BANNED

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Looking at this new Thar I'm just imagining what if Jimny is released. No wonder the SUV craze Indians will love such a vehicle at 10L. There is a vaccum there now. Hope MS fills it soon.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:55   #1247
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Wrangler and The New Thar

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200815wa0127.jpg

Source: whatsapp groups
Dr.Naren is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:58   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A whole new generation of Thar is here and 95% of the complaints are about that grille.

A few pictures here from Kochi.
Attachment 2043193

Attachment 2043194

I have a smile on my face since noon. And in the current circumstances, that's a huge plus! Great day!
How can someone pay 70 Lakhs on Jeep now ! This is almost there, proper next generation for the legend, thumbs up to the design & development team.

Last edited by SDP : 16th August 2020 at 17:06. Reason: Punctuation
TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:00   #1249

The new Thar looks the best in Napoli Black and Galaxy Grey in my opinion. Though people might prefer other colours and coming to the grills, bumper and what not, the aftermarket parts for the Thar is just so diverse that you can customise the vehicle to make it look even better.

There maybe some people who say the Thar looks like a 'Sasta Wrangler' and what not. But truth to be said, those people even secretly admire the design the Thar has pulled off. ��
Aakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:00   #1250
BHPian

Wow, what a wonderful launch by Mahindra. Specification and option wise all bases are covered. My pick will be Petrol AT. I am fine with the look and no issues either with grill.
It seems they have limited the power output to 150 PS. I assume it will be 180-190 ps for XUV500.

I hope the petrol AT is somewhere around 15 lac ex showroom or lesser . Price should be within range of Seltos/Creta. I am seriously tempted to buy this.

Is there Apple Carplay in infotainment? No noise for that.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:04   #1251
BHPian

Great car, great launch.
However, I am curious to know who this product is really for. The enthusiast community in India is very small. One can see that in the current sales of the Thar and VCross. Mahindra has invested a lot of money into this product. Just hope that it gets them the returns, maybe from the export markets. In India, any car that's not a 5 door MUV or SUV will struggle, when priced above 10 lakhs. VCross is a good example of a great 5 seater product that failed because the customer segment for off road pickups is simply too small
Old 15th August 2020, 18:11   #1252
BHPian

Check this modified scale model from one of the promotional videos from Mahindra; looks wonderful with those beefy wheels and the changed bumper and headlight design.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar_model.png

Courtesy:

Last edited by Madhu_Bengaluru : 15th August 2020 at 18:12.
Madhu_Bengaluru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:14   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Just too much wow factor

Not only our forum, but the entire social media is going overdrive, looks by the number of forwards I am getting today. This 15 August surely belongs to the Thar. The last time we witnessed this much of excitement was when they launched the XUV500.

Eagerly awaiting for our Mods' first impressions. Meanwhile mine are:
- those 18-inchers sure going to have a tough time getting quality replacement tyres; unless of course, the Thar sells in big numbers. Looks like it will and the situation was pretty much the same when the Fortuner was launched
- the grille = a brand new laptop with FreeDOS from Amazon Freedom Sale . No worries.
- front bumper ? can't comment on it until I see the car
- colors. All good but do I miss a fabulous crisp white shade? Yessir.
- lastly, Behram sir. Don't we all miss him on a day another avatar of his work almost made a nation forget all its worries?
sandeepmdas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:18   #1254

What a package !!!

Looking at the sheer numbers of posts on this thread in the first few hours of unveiling, speaks volumes on how popular this SUV is among the enthusiasts. If this version of Thar is priced competitively, it can potentially be a good money churner for Mahindra. I just hope the top of the spec LX Petrol AT is not above 20 lac on road in Bangalore. Pricing will be crucial.

I also hope Mahindra can make some amends to its design, especially its front fascia. I am wondering why Mahindra didn't throw more light on removal of rooftop mechanism. I also saw that Mahindra is organizing Freedom Drive today across 3 cities in India wherein select few auto enthusiasts and auto journalists will be driving the car. Perhaps these distinguished drivers can give some relevant feedback which will be incorporated in the production version of Mahindra Thar.

Eagerly waiting for October 2nd for the prices to be revealed and the bookings to open. Exciting times ahead.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:18   #1255

I think Mahindra has a winner on their hands. The Thar takes quantum leaps in terms of everyday usability and yet promises to have all the off-road credentials in place.

Mahindra played it smart by offering both petrol and diesel engine options and an automatic gearbox. The Thar will appeal to a much wider audience now. I can totally see a young professional going for the Thar diesel auto. It is a spec that will prove effortless in cities and can be assuring when the going gets tough.

In fact, the Thar is so appealing, it may take away some buyers from sub-4 meter SUVs like the Hyundai Venue.

If there is one thing I did not like about the Thar, it has to be the front angle. It looks timid and reserved. Mahindra should have given it a bold face.

If I'm not wrong the review will be out tonight. If the SUV ticks all the boxes, I don't think we need to wait for the Jimny. The Thar is probably more compelling!
pradyumnakalagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:26   #1256
BHPian

Absolutely love the colors on this Thar! Each and every shade is really nice.

But as a lifestyle vehicle, I wonder how many urban families will choose this over, say, a AWD Duster with the new 1.3l engine. The Duster would be significantly more practical while still making for an excellent go anywhere vehicle for 90% of the potential customers.

Just hope they don't drop the awd version altogether on the new Duster.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:29   #1257
BHPian

What. A. Beauty. That grey car with hard top looks awesome. I think this car will do well and will appeal to both categories of buyers who want a 4 x 4 for offroading as well as people who want a butch looking car for normal tarmac needs. I just bought a Creta and this launch has got me thinking, had I not bought the Creta would have definitely had a look at this. This one has a major coolness factor attached to it.
Looking at this I feel the next gen Scorpio and the XUV 500 are also going to be awesome. 2021 is going to be an exciting year for SUV buyers, with the Mahindra triplets and The VW twins and Gravitas added to the market.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:31   #1258

I am paraphrasing Mr. Veejay Nakra, CEO, Automotive Division, M&M Ltd from the unveil event "The Thar is parked in many hearts but not in many garages". He might as well have taken my name because this describes my situation exactly. But this Thar appeals to me in ways the previous one does not. First and foremost, a capable and comfortable daily drive. Because my offroad exploits are forced on me rather than chosen, can't say anything about its offroad capability. Better than the previous gen, I would guess. Hope the pricing is reasonable.
Now eagerly awaiting 2 things:
1. The Team BHP Official Review where they will hopefully take it offroad(duh)
2. For anyone who gets to bring it home first to please post an Ownership Review ASAP. Just for this instance, please confine that little imp, Laziness, to the backyard and start writing the day you bring it home
Maedhros is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:32   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Just too much wow factor
- lastly, Behram sir. Don't we all miss him on a day another avatar of his work almost made a nation forget all its worries?
Yes - I too thought of him and the enthusiasm almost 10 years back (in Dec 2010) with the launch of the first Thar. (I saw the first launch live). Missed seeing it live today but spent time seeing everything posted so far.

@DB sir - hope you get to see this enthusiasm for the Thar from Jeeping Heaven.
sjcherian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:32   #1260

What a package !!!

Looking at the sheer numbers of posts on this thread in the first few hours of unveiling, speaks volumes on how popular this SUV is among the enthusiasts. If this version of Thar is priced competitively, it can potentially be a good money churner for Mahindra. I just hope the top of the spec LX Petrol AT is not above 20 lac on road in Bangalore. Pricing will be crucial.

I also hope Mahindra can make some amends to its design, especially its front fascia. I am wondering why Mahindra didn't throw more light on removal of rooftop mechanism. I also saw that Mahindra is organizing Freedom Drive today across 3 cities in India wherein select few auto enthusiasts and auto journalists will be driving the car. Perhaps these distinguished drivers can give some relevant feedback which will be incorporated in the production version of Mahindra Thar.

Eagerly waiting for October 2nd for the prices to be revealed and the bookings to open. Exciting times ahead.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks