Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 16:18   #1411
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Now this is a lovely car that I'd hope to buy some day! I'm not a big fan of Indian cars, but this is lovely! Would love to own a petrol automatic when it comes out!

No qualms about the copy paste job
vishwasvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 16:19   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkunnithan View Post
I took only 3 mins for what Mahindra took 3 yrs >> copy+paste+edit

Attachment 2043280
Mahindra has done an amazing job on the Thar. The overall appeal, the proportions, Road presence etc., hits the jackpot. But considering they have Pininfarina in their stable and all they could do is replicate a Jeep Wrangler is a bit upsetting. No doubt, if priced right it will sell of the shelves really fast but looking at what Suzuki did to the Jimny, Land Rover did to the defender and Ford did to the Bronco, I am sure they could have really come up with something better.
raycers_honda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 16:23   #1413
BHPian

Q. Is the Thar 2.0 the most stunning vehicle ever from the Mahindra stable?
A. That was a rhetorical question!

It's gratifying to see that the Mahindra Thar continues to generate such passion among Team-BHPians! Having said that, while some of the criticism levelled against Thar 2.0 is justified, there is quite a bit that seems a little gratuitous. In that sense, it's déja vu all over again!

Let's wind the clock back a bit to the partisan debates that raged on this forum when Thar 1.0 was launched. I had tried to contextualise that particular war of words in a rather lengthy post dated 12 March 2015, from which I reproduce the following extract:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
The story so far, for those who came in late, is that the Mahindra team solicited the opinions of Team BHPians during the design and development stage of the Thar, but (1) the ultimate product was not as "hard-core" as the serious off-roading community would have liked, and (2) the fit and finish, especially the interiors, was in line with earlier generation offerings of Indian automotive manufacturers (read fairly below par).

To its credit, the Thar team probably didn't have much of a choice and had to make compromises (designers, bean counters and marketing mavens inevitably clash when it comes to the launch of a new product - an example of this is choosing an IFS suspension over a solid axle for a better on road ride). Also, all the minimum regulatory standards were met (if only barely).

So our peaceful little community was forced to take sides and choose between those who felt short-changed (and lashed out against what they were being offered), and others who thought that something was better than nothing (and that the design team had done the best it could possibly do in the circumstances).
That particular post also went on to compile the various improvements that I had culled out from seemingly infinite posts on various Thar-related threads over the years. Imagine my surprise when Behram Dhabhar himself - the man who is largely credited with the birthing of the Thar (not to mention the driving force behind MH-01-V-521, considered by many to be the Holy Grail of Thar 1.0) - responded as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Hawkeye269 - hello to you. First of all, I would like to thank you for your above post, where you have compiled what went into MH01V521. It is already helping many enthusiastic TeamBHPians out here. I also liked your typical british writing style with a good amount of flair, as it made for some good reading. I am indeed grateful! .
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
We would go on to correspond briefly, but I unfortunately never got to meet him in person for one reason or the other. I'll always regret that I couldn't follow up on his invitation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Hawkeye269 - thanks for your PM Shree, I am in "aamchi mumbai" on weekends. Do PM me your contact number, I will be delighted to meet you.
Yes, it is the most iconic vehicle of all time, customers like you have seen the value, I hope some good sense prevails and the vehicle is developed further in the correct direction, so the "iconicity" is not diluted in any way.
Let's meet!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I have a strong feeling that BD is looking down on us with a broad smile, almost exactly four years after his passing... not only because of the way the Thar has evolved, but also at how some of us are up in arms at the manner in which the iconic Thar 1.0 design has been butchered by Mahindra. Change is hard to digest, and nostalgia for a past (or outgoing model) can sometimes be unduly overpowering.

Objectively speaking, and based on the limited information that is currently out there, there can be little doubt that 2.0 is a far better (and perhaps more capable) machine than 1.0 - both as a mud crawler as well as a mall crawler. Many of the objections raised are either ill-informed (e.g., ingress and egress to/from the back row is difficult) or simply not applicable to a SWB 4X4 (e.g., there isn't enough luggage space or that the rear wheel arches should have been reengineered to make way for a three-seater bench).

There is one fairly valid criticism, however... many have taken issue with the fact that 2.0 has been very strongly "inspired" by the Wrangler. Again, objectively speaking, it's difficult to refute that. While this argument may be weaker when it comes to the exterior shape (since both the Thar and the Wrangler share a common ancestor), there is no denying the other obvious influences.

While I have been critical of Chinese knock-offs in the past:

Quote:
(See: China's copycat cars are reducing Land Rover's use of concepts).[/i]

Of course, Landwind does not stand alone. Other (ahem) innovative Chinese companies include Zotye, Hanteng, JMC and BAIC (See: Chinese copycat cars of the 2017 Shanghai motor show).
I also think FCA deserves a swift kick in the rear for the Wrangler Unlimited's absurdly high pricing:

Quote:
I agree with Turbanator, manufacturing the Wrangler in India will only be viable if Jeep decides to make India its global hub for the RHD version. Such a move would actually make a lot of sense. Am guessing the largest RHD markets for the Wrangler are (in no particular order) Australia, southern and eastern Africa, Japan, parts of south-east Asia, the UK and India itself. We are eminently well positioned as a central manufacturing hub to service all these markets and cut transportation costs. Also, with Compass already being manufactured here, FCA already has proof of concept! Even so, pricing would depend entirely on the specs, with the Rubicon being probably way too expensive for a niche vehicle in India.

Having said that I’d love to see a more practically priced Wrangler in India, say in the ₹30-35 lakhs range. Admittedly, when I returned to the homeland back in 2015 after being in the U.S. for seven years, I had sticker shock and couldn’t stomach the 2x plus prices of cars in India. Even so, when the Wrangler was finally launched I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I’ve driven a JKU Sahara extensively while on vacation in Hawaii, and there’s no way the current asking price is anything short of ludicrous!!
If Bolero 4.0 ends up looking like a four-door version of the Thar 2.0, I am hoping FCA will consider starting the manufacture of RHD Wrangler JLUs out of Pune.

As it stands, I'm more than happy to shell out 15 big ones for the Thar 2.0 (see https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4863004 (What is your ideal three car garage under ₹1,00,00,000 (1 Crore)?)).

I can stomach paying a little over twice that amount for a Wrangler, but more than four times? As they say in Toledo, "no way, José"!!!

So, on balance, I'm giving a big thumb's up to Ms. Ramkripa Ananthan and her team for giving us the Thar 2.0, and will have absolutely no hesitation in putting my money where my mouth is by booking a Thar 2.1 (after the initial niggles have been sorted). Also, as far as I'm concerned, the LX Petrol AT Convertible in Rocky Beige is a no-brainer.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-4x4.jpg
(images are not of the convertible model and are used for representational purposes only)

I'm hoping that version 2.1 will include a dead pedal, narrower centre console (to reduce pressure on the left leg), remote fuel lid operation, reverse camera, dual glove compartments (e.g., à la Nissan Xterra / Frontier / Pathfinder), bigger touchscreen and keyless ignition.

As a throwback to the original Willy's MB, my modifications would include a seven-slatted grille, custom bumpers (front and rear) as well as custom flat fenders.
Hawkeye269 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 16:59   #1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Mahindra has done an amazing job on the Thar. The overall appeal, the proportions, Road presence etc., hits the jackpot. But considering they have Pininfarina in their stable and all they could do is replicate a Jeep Wrangler is a bit upsetting. No doubt, if priced right it will sell of the shelves really fast but looking at what Suzuki did to the Jimny, Land Rover did to the defender and Ford did to the Bronco, I am sure they could have really come up with something better.
Right!
Given that the hardtop is not removable, it serves no practical purpose other than replicate the wrangler's look.
I feel that "Mahindra has done an amazing job" in Thar 2.0 when you park the old Thar right besides it. Positioning Thar LX as a lifestyle vehicle is indigestable. Because of
1) It's not a fun to drive vehicle. The rugged and choppy ride dynamics stand in the way. It still has leaf springs at the rear.
2) It cannot be used as a weekend getaway vehicle with its limited boot space. A family of 4 is left with no space to carry picnic accessories.

The reasons that made me chose Duster AWD instead of Thar1.0 still hold good for Thar2.0

It can be branded as a poor man's wrangler at best.

I would love the MM540 based original Thar with improved safety, quality and ride dynamics.
M&M should put more effort in making the Thar a true blue off-roader.
Old 16th August 2020, 17:14   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not sure why Tata and RE need to be clubbed in. What designs did Tata and RE copied as blatantly as this?

I dont really mind that they have copied the design per se, its their choice. What does get my goat though is the patronizing lengthy video talking about design when it has clearly taken more than an inspiration from one car and one car only. The outside is nearly identical including the placement and design of the antenna, the hard top roof is also identical, on the inside, it takes the roof top speaker design and inspiration for the infotainment too. Okay so you cant do much with the basic design, but antenna and hard top roof? No matter how anyone tries to spin it, it is a copy indeed.

Also read the first drive review by the Mod which i missed the first time around and somewhat disappointed that the ride and handling package is almost the same as the outgoing Thar. I was expecting it to be improved considerably. Some of it is a limitation due to the design - short wheelbase, ladder frame chassis, height and center of gravity but I was expecting more improvements to the fundamental engineering of the vehicle. Reading the first drive review, it still isnt a car suited to doing even modest speeds on the highway. I was excited at first but its weaning off. I hope Mahindra springs a surprise when they announce the pricing in October.
My point was not about the copycat design. They have done a decent job and it is upto them if they want to develop a design identity of their own. So far in the Thar it is not so. But I can live with that. As you have mentioned my grouse is more about these manufacturing giants not developing their expertise to the level that their overall years in the industry calls for. Any product that they bring is fraught with niggles that the customer is then expected to quality control. This was my point.

Copy cat design in itself for me is not a deal breaker, if you cannot put a coherent design together and feel the need to be "inspired". But then the company giving you the "inspiration" might get offended and you may end up with something like the current Roxor design to fend off lawsuits. Which take you back to square one.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 16th August 2020 at 17:16.
Old 16th August 2020, 18:14   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra about new Thar

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200816181018_twitter.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200816180949_twitter.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200816181003_twitter.jpg

Source : Twitter
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:17   #1417
BHPian

I am just wondering if it is possible to fix a winch on the bumper that comes with the Thar? If not and one needs to change the front bumper to an off road bumper, then what happens to the airbag sensors? I am hoping Mahindra has thought about the same and have supplied at least something strong below the thar logo of the front bumper to install a winch which I am sure a lot of people will want to fix after buying it.

It's a bummer that the hard top is not removable.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 16th August 2020 at 18:19.
sarmarishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:18   #1418
BANNED

IMHO new THAR look fabulous.

1 It has modern look yet maintains somewhat retro macho
look.
2 It has all the minimum required features.

3.If I buy one I would not change the front grill as it goes
well with grey & beige colour.

4. I think mahindra should cover the rear wheel bulges (protruding in the cabin) with some sort of plastick cladding (with a cup holder & charging port).It will also work as hand rest for both rear pessangers.

5. I have a family for three , so I wont mind having this as my primery car.
Old 16th August 2020, 18:30   #1419
BHPian

For everyone who is bashing Mahindra and is unhappy over how Mahindra has blatantly copied the design from Wrangler: Are you serious? The only reason why Thar 2020 looks so nice is because it hasn't been designed by Mahindra at all.

Maybe see how hideous everything else from Mahindra stable is.
Animesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:34   #1420
BHPian

Don't tell me the base AX doesn't come with HVAC? The expected price of 10L, oh come on M&M, whom are you making this for the police and armed forces?
Old 16th August 2020, 18:42   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
More than the grill, it is the fuel lid that is bugging me. No way I will switch off the engine and get down to get it tanked!! How could they leave it that way? It has cruise control, but not electrically operated fuel lid!
"No way I will switch off the engine" - I think switching off the engine is heavily advised while filling up. I never fill up with the engine running.
But yes, a remote fuel lid opener would have been useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
This is still not a practical vehicle or urban vehicle as promoted by M&M. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
this is still an extremely impractical car for a majority just like the earlier version.

Practical as a family sedan - Nope
Impractical as a people mover - Yup.
Urban as a weekend drive to the mall , or a longish drive in the early morning , turning heads in the process - hell o yeah!

If Mahindra did not want to target :urban' customers, they wouldn't have come out with the whole LX line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Would love to own a petrol automatic when it comes out!
The petrol is only offered as Automatic in the LX trim. So you can surely get one , as soon as the prices are announced !
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:48   #1422
BHPian

This will be my next automotive purchase(already got approval from Home Ministry ). It has now truly become suitable for single car garages.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 19:03   #1423
BHPian

We humans are mostly irrational. After allowing for the initial euphoria to settle in and after reading an honest initial feedback from Aditya on the forum and also few grounded vlogs which didn't get carried away with the product, it's safe for me to say that M&M is almost there but not there yet in trying to make the Thar a daily driver.

The ingress and egress to the second row is quite challenging, the short wheelbase results in a choppy ride over uneven roads and as per Hormazd, the steering is vague around the dead centre and isn't all that great in a straight line on the highway.

Though Mahindra has done a great job on the Thar, they may have set very high expectations which the product may not eventually meet. Will be eagerly waiting for the full blown Team BHP review and the TD.
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 19:17   #1424
BHPian

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the radiator is bit too exposed due to the huge gaps in the grill.
Old 16th August 2020, 19:32   #1425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the radiator is bit too exposed due to the huge gaps in the grill.
That is the case earlier as well, and also with the Jeep. Insect mesh is a common after-market accessory for the front slats.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks