Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 10:57   #1666
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

See, all this discussion about interior copy or exterior copy is alright but I want to ask, copy from what. 99% of our country has no idea that there is a vehicle called Wrangler. I have seen only 1 Jeep Wrangler that too parked in one of my clients 50cr house in Jubilee Hills.

Before Jeep came to India, many folks like me thought Jeep was a kind of vehicle that the police used or that was there at the temples. We still say the police jeep has come even though its actually a police Innova here in Hyderabad. We layman folks always thought it was a Mahindra Jeep! So my point is nobody will notice.

As far as I am concerned I was planning to exchange my Hexa and get a next gen Fortuner. But now I am going to keep my Hexa and get the grey hard top diesel automatic Thar. Thar will be my statement. Bouncy ride or low space or whatever maybe the case, I will buy it just for the looks. The statement this will make on road will be more than the premium Germans.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:33   #1667
BHPian

More than enough has been said about the blatant copying. Yes it's true and it has been done. The market will have to live with it. Mahindra is not going back to the copying board to mess it further.

The right thing to have done was to modernize the CJ7 profile for which they actually have a license. They didn't do that. Instead they mimicked Wrangler with which they share no legacy and no rights. It's indefensible. It's their shame to live with.

Now that the road loving softy crowd has their fill with this SUV bearing Thar sticker, where is the jeep you promised Mahindra? Earlier there was a Thar DI for jeepers and Thar crde for the road warriors. Where is the equivalent for Thar DI now Mahindra? AX doesn't count. A jeep needs to atleast have solid axles and leaf springs all around which can be bashed around without worrying to pony up the several thousands to fix the multitude complexities of IFS or MLS. People who actually need a jeep are still waiting you know. You can still do it atleast with the underpinnings.

Last edited by SandyX : 20th August 2020 at 12:00.
SandyX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:35   #1668
BHPian

11.99 for top model diesel manual translates to around 14Lacs on road. I consider this to be excellent pricing by Mahindra, people looking for Butch Appeal will have to go no further, plus excellent off road capabilities are a cherry on top.

Mostly buyers looking for crossovers spend between 12 to 18 lacs, so this car with all its capabilities stands tall against all the crossovers and Small SUVs.
Old 20th August 2020, 11:53   #1669
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra! Looks like they have finally got the right mix in the new Thar. Jeep purists and adventure lovers would love the new remodeled interior and exterior along with the old Jeep charm. This will also appeal to urban folks who needed a compact SUV or a soft-roader with decent creature comforts and factory fitted hardtop. Automatic gearbox with both petrol and diesel option has given the flexibility to get one for different kinds of usage. Eagerly look forward to extensive TBHP review of the new Thar. This reminds me of Royal Enfield cast iron era where only bullet loyalists would buy one, then came classic 350/500 with UCE, a self starter, followed by fuel injection later and suddenly all urban/rural folks lined up RE showrooms to buy the classic. I wish Tata would have followed Mahindra's steps and revived the Sierra & Safari.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:18   #1670
Team-BHP Support

American Truck channel TFL truck has covered the Thar. I think its the first time they have done something like this
tsk1979 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:57   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
Below are my estimates on pricing.

LX Manual 4 Seater Hard Top - Petrol: 11.49 Lacs
This option is not going to be available unfortunately. Or is it?

I am not sure what is the logic behind the strategy of not providing this option. Surely, there would be a fan base for that.
Old 20th August 2020, 13:01   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This option is not going to be available unfortunately. Or is it?

I am not sure what is the logic behind the strategy of not providing this option. Surely, there would be a fan base for that.
As per THAR website, LX MT will be available only in Hard Top and not in Soft Top. Soft top in Manual will only be in AX variant.
Old 20th August 2020, 13:13   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
As per THAR website, LX MT will be available only in Hard Top and not in Soft Top. Soft top in Manual will only be in AX variant.
Yeah, right, now that shows up in website.

But LX Petrol Manual wasn't mentioned during the unveil.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-1234.jpg

Now, that is confusing.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th August 2020 at 13:25.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 13:16   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
A jeep needs to atleast have solid axles and leaf springs all around which can be bashed around without worrying to pony up the several thousands to fix the multitude complexities of IFS or MLS. People who actually need a jeep are still waiting you know.
People who need a basher vehicle for off-road jamborees are better off with a pre-owned MM550/Gypsy rather than a brand new jeep, I'd assume.
Old 20th August 2020, 13:57   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
American Truck channel TFL truck has covered the Thar. I think its the first time they have done something like this
I think this video clears up a lot of misinformation regarding the plagiarism.

Also wondering after looking at the pictures of the that with the hardtop removed, can we fix a large panoramic sun roof (openable/ sealed) in the front part of the frame and cut off and retain the back part? Any glass shop should be able to cut the tempered glass and seal it with silicone.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-2020mahindrathartopview.jpeg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th August 2020 at 14:12. Reason: plagarism > plagiarism, removing youtube URL from quoted post.
Old 20th August 2020, 14:27   #1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think this video clears up a lot of misinformation regarding the plagiarism.

Also wondering after looking at the pictures of the that with the hardtop removed, can we fix a large panoramic sun roof (openable/ sealed) in the front part of the frame and cut off and retain the back part? Any glass shop should be able to cut the tempered glass and seal it with silicone.

Attachment 2045433
Nice idea but may not be recommended on a off-roader. But surely possible.
Old 20th August 2020, 14:43   #1677
BHPian

For people who trash M&M about the new Thar's design, one needs to understand that there limitations when you want the product to carry off the CJ or the first gen Thar/540/550 styling cues within certain dimensional tolerances and legacy design elements.
Medium wheel base- check
2 piece rounded fenders - check
Curved bonnet and flat windshield- check
High ground clearance and manual TC (4x4) - check
3 doors and hardtop - check
Tailgate mounted spare tyre- check
Location of the speaker pod in the roof - Now, where else would you place the speaker pods, when you want it on the roof? You can't have it placed on the seats and call it roof-mounted.

You got to give to M&M for building it from ground up, the brilliant engine options, and the VFM the whole package offers. The arm-chair critics just cant be gratified, anyways.
jeeva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:01   #1678
BHPian

Mahindra targets 3000units per month with the new Thar 2020 , quite achievable in the initial months !

Quote:
Jejurikar at the earnings conference stated that he is not expecting Thar to be niche. The company has mandated vendors for a production schedule of 3000 units a month for Thar, which is more than double of what it produced in the past.
mahindra-reboots-suv-biz-defines-new-automotive-narrative

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 20th August 2020 at 16:04.
TorqueIndia is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:23   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Mahindra targets 3000units per month with the new Thar 2020 , quite achievable in the initial months
Definitely achievable at least for the first few months, given the initial euphoria AND if priced right viz. top-end variant not exceeding 15 lac ex-showroom!

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th August 2020 at 16:36.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:32   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Mahindra targets 3000units per month with the new Thar 2020 , quite achievable in the initial months !

They're not doing 3k/month even with the XUV300. If the Thar has to do 3k/month, it needs to be priced at/below XUV300 levels. Even 2k per month is extremely ambitious. I'd give it 1k per month if priced well. Else, it'll settle to 400-600 units per month. :-D

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks