Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 16:38   #1681
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I have been following this thread quite regularly and I guess we need to cut Mahindra some slack here, please.

First of all, Kudos to Mahindra for a fantastic overall package including the right engine+gearbox combination.

At this point, it's pretty much clear that the design is very much akin to the Wrangler. I guess, noone's going to argue on that. However, Mahindra has been building these Jeeps from time immemorial and every single iteration from the very first looks like an evolution over the previous generation. The current gen Thar too looks like an iteration of the previous generation Thar; a solid looking car. I mean, what's the problem with that? I somehow feel that Mahindra has earned their right to create something like this. I don't think, this is the equivalent of blatant copying that the new Chinese OEMs exhibit.

Had this design been done by another OEM, say Tata, I am sure it was completely different argument there. With Mahindra, this "blatant" copying is a little far-fetched in my opinion.

The one big grouse I have on the design is the sheer number of Thar badging. They should have restricted this to a few places.

So, there are 2 factions here.
  • Someone who likes Thar 2.0, knowing very well that it has design cues from Wrangler, but are also OK with the fact that it's coming from M&M, who were making solid jeeps for decades. Well, go on and book the variant of your choice.
  • People who feel abhorrent about the design and simply can't digest this fact; I guess, it's bad luck for you guys. You need to look elsewhere. Perhaps, you have to divorce this brand altogether if you feel so bad about this.

Bottom line is that not everyone feels so and are in fact very happy that if you see beyond the exteriors, there's a lot of original stuff going on; be it engines or the suspension setup.
Someone has a qualm about those Easter eggs and their placement. Come on, you can't be serious

My hunch is that the top end LX-Hard Top Petrol/Diesel to be around 18L OTR, Bangalore. I just hope it's not way off from this.

Based on all the available info, the only negative that I've discerned so far is the bumpy ride quality on good asphalt and that steering wheel "Play" around the center . Also, there's no information on whether the hard top can be easily removed. I wish Mahindra showcased some of these in their unveiling. The unveiling of the vehicle was anything but lackluster. The presenters were nervous and there was nothing useful for the Janata. I expected more than this from the unveil. You know, they could have shown pre-recorded bits for the Convertible roof or removable doors, but nothing was shown.

I am this "fence-sitter" who always aspired to own a proper SUV and somehow, I am not satisfied with the idea of owning the usual suspects (read Cretas and Seltos). Thar fits in nicely for me. I have a small family of 3 and the rear seats are not that much of a problem. Thank heavens that Mahindra offered a 50-50 rear split. Even the boot seems to accommodate 2 small/medium strolleys. I guess, there's enough room for your own customization. I think, you can make use of those spaces on top of the rear wheel arches. I want to add a nice chunky soft arm-rest with cup holders on one and a basket to store nick-knacks on the other side, for those long tours. If push comes to shove, I would like to convert the rear bench to 2 single bucket seats and store one at home when I plan for an expedition.

Thar 2.0 indeed gives you that freedom to get away and it was truly a masterclass to launch it on the Independence day. I am super-thrilled and eagerly waiting for those off-road media drives and most importantly, a verdict from Mr. Team BHP, GTO.

I think, its wise to wait a few months (to an year) after launch for the niggles to be sorted out before buying yours. I am completely OK to sacrifice novelty to get a more sorted out car. I am very much looking forward to Thar 2.1.

A big thanks to all those folks who don't mind taking a plunge on this completely new vehicle and booking theirs on 2-Oct. All the best folks!!

Finally, thanks to @Aditya for those lovely insights from the "Freedom drive".

PS: I guess, I am not too late with the above post given the context. I had too much in my head to not say it. Thanks.

Last edited by hellraizer : 20th August 2020 at 16:52.
hellraizer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:55   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Why are people after Mahindra for "copying" designs?

Mahindra and Fiat Chrysler have both manufactured Jeeps - Mahindra did so under a license from Wilys Overland and Fiat Chrysler did so after buying the Wilys Overland operations and brand.

Are 'contract manufacturing' and 'buying the operations and brand' the same thing?
Astitva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:11   #1683
Senior - BHPian

After reading reports that Mahindra might launch a 5 door Thar too, thought of trying my hand at it.

Here are some illustrations.

Also tried tweaking the grille and darkening the front bumper a litle bit.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5-door-01.png  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5-door-02.png  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5-door-03.png  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5-door-04.png  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-thar-5-door-05.png  

ashutoshb is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:36   #1684
BHPian

A promotional video of the October 2nd launch, with the tagline "Save the Date : 2nd Oct 2020". In fact this is the initial video of the Thar 2020 reposted again by Mahindra to keep the excitement levels high till the launch.

Last edited by stormdRider : 20th August 2020 at 17:47.
Old 20th August 2020, 17:43   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
After reading reports that Mahindra might launch a 5 door Thar too, thought of trying my hand at it.

Great mockups!

I figured I'd try my hand at the 5 door Thar as well. Might be more accurate than your render!
Attached Images

suneel is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:50   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
That being the case, do you REALLY believe that somehow automatic transmission technicians are just going to appear magically and mysteriously when after decades it's still hard to find good general mechanics?
Yes, I believe automatic transmission technicians are just going to appear magically and mysteriously. All the good AT Mechanics are across the pond called the Arabian Sea. And they are coming back by the plane loads. Good things come to those who wait . . . patience my friend.
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:55   #1687
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2020 at 18:59.
ash22 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th August 2020, 18:37   #1688
Team-BHP Support

I heard some rumblings about a 4 door version of this possibly coming further down the line. One thought I had was, if a top of line 2 door starts touching say 17.5 lakh on road (based on the rumours on pricing). Is it fair to say a 4 door equivalent would cost at least 3 lakh more? And if that is the case, why would someone buy a 4 door thar over a 4x4 Jeep Compass manual? The more I think about it, I feel an on road price of 15 lakh max is the right price for whatever is the most expensive variant of this 2 door Thar 2.0.
Old 20th August 2020, 18:56   #1689
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Enough with the Wrangler-copy / design posts, guys. I think that has been discussed enough. Any more such posts will be deleted. Let's now discuss just the Thar itself.

*Mod hat off*

• With that out of the way, I have decided to buy the '20 Thar .

• Red with black wheels.

• Will keep it open most of the year, except monsoons & the hot summer months of April & May.

• Will ideally buy it after 1 - 2 years once the beta testers...err, early customers iron out all the niggles for us.

• Whether Diesel AT or Petrol AT, haven't decided. Will take a call after testing both, but most likely, Diesel AT.

• After seeing my earlier post on the thread, a BHPian has already pinged me with interest in my existing '97 Classic.

Here's to a new chapter in Jeep motoring .
GTO is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 18:59   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

Great rendering. It's kind of reminding me of the Hummer.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:02   #1691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[
Here's to a new chapter in Jeep motoring .
Woah!

That's a massive decision to give away a classic that you have cherished for over 2 decades!!

Is the new Thar that worthy of a replacement that you are ready to part with your old jeep? I mean, that emotional quotient with that old jeep must be a big deal!!

Congratulations in advance GTO!!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:06   #1692
BHPian

South Indian super star Prithviraj tweets about THAR after taking a TD.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-capture.jpg

He had recently added a Defender 110 to his collection recently.

Last edited by kamilharis : 20th August 2020 at 19:17.
kamilharis is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:43   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Not really sure what to say. I have already started the PsyOps at home — ++ my i20 is refusing to start.
And then Mahindra has done this in an official video!! Its mStalion isn't it? The media goof ups our home-grown automakers make always crack me up.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-capture.jpg

Quote:
• With that out of the way, I have decided to buy the '20 Thar.
Congratulations in advance & best wishes. If I had a Jeep already OR an additional parking - I'd sure have booked one on day 1 of sales opening. Its a no brainer really. A very good car for urban + off road use. The mechanical credentials (diesel engine especially) are proven beyond doubt. Cabin is more than enough for a couple + 1 child. Thats what generally most modern urban families are! Its sufficiently well equipped for a nice journey & washable interiors just make it so much more convenient.

Hats off to Mahindra for sticking to the core of "SUV"ing! In an era where all car-makers are hell bent on making boring mileage carts, this particular marque continues to bring something for the loner standing in the corner who thinks he/she needs something much more capable than the common cars. Regardless of any little niggles they may leave in some batches - M&M deserve full credit for staying committed & keeping investments in niche areas.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th August 2020 at 19:59.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 20:06   #1694
BHPian

^^ Well Said. Any 4X4 SUV in a 2 door format is way more masculine and cute looking than a typical 4 door version. Eg. 2 door wrangler and FJ Cruiser beats hands down any other 4 door version 4x4 offroader any day any time. For me, a 4 door version of any 4x4 offroader is nothing but a Force Toofan ! That's where this new Thar stole all of our hearts in such a short period.
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 20:13   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
• With that out of the way, I have decided to buy the '20 Thar .

• Will keep it open most of the year, except monsoons & the hot summer months of April & May.
Man that was a pretty quick decision. Did you get to drive it as well. Your decision should help the fence sitters on the forum to take the plunge now. Mahindra must be happy now to get so many bookings from Teambhp. Maybe time for Teambhp bulk deal for the Thars.

I am kind of torn on which variant to go for. The Hard top or the soft top convertible.

For the greater good of the fellow future owners, I am ready to be one of the Beta Tester owners,

Last edited by indian21r : 20th August 2020 at 20:16.
indian21r is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks