Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 18:54   #1651
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

5/7-slat replacement grilles for Mahindra Thar spotted

Pictures of what appear to be aftermarket front grille panels of the upcoming Mahindra Thar have surfaced online.

One of the major criticisms of the recently unveiled Mahindra Thar was the styling of the front grille. Many have opined that it could have been better designed. With pictures of the replacement grilles surfacing, it is clear that owners who dislike the current grille can change. The grilles are offered in 5 and 7-slat options. The 5-slot unit gets "angry eyes" headlamp housings while the 7-slat one gets a traditional round housings for the headlamps.

Even in the discussion of our first drive report, many BHPians have been apprehensive about the front fascia.

The Thar is based on a Gen3 chassis and offered with two engine options - a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP / 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP / 320 Nm. Both engines are paired with 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions.

It is rumoured that the new Thar could be priced between Rs. 9.5 - 15 lakh (ex-showroom). The vehicle will be launched on October 2, 2020.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot-20200819-6.49.59-pm.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot-20200819-6.50.07-pm.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot-20200819-6.50.14-pm.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot-20200819-6.50.24-pm.png

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th August 2020 at 18:55.
blackwasp is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:04   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Request one of the "ethical" folks in here to create a separate thread for discussing the "copy/paste" issue, while genuine enthusiasts can continue to discuss the Thar's capabilities etc. on this thread
Sorry for taking the thread OT , If I have posted incorrect stuff I`m sure someone will correct it and I also get to learn something in the process - this works very well

Those who have driven the vehicle and also owns the older Thar (Stock) , how planted does it feel? Coil spring & 3rd generation suspension are all fine but wheelbase is short nevertheless.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:48   #1653
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Source?

AFAIK - MM540 was built on CJ500D chassis with Peugeot XD4.9P engine.

Mahindra had also clarified during the Roxor lawsuits that they had agreements with all the owners of Jeep from Willys till FCA in 2009.

What part of the story is Korean? And what is the Korean car which it shares license from?
Sorry, no source that I can link with.

Sorry, it wasn't Daewoo, it was the Ssangyong Korando. Look it up.

Please feel free to delete my post if you are able to fact check and contradict.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 20:12   #1654
BHPian

Not really sure what to say. I have already started the PsyOps at home — ++ my i20 is refusing to start.

asingh1977 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 20:23   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
There seems to be no end to this!

Anyways, my last comment on this subject -

Attachment 2045177
Attachment 2045178

Sorry, I see no similarities in the interior.
The photo you've posted is of the 2020 Wrangler but do have a look at some of the older photos.

Please also note the location of the front and roof speakers.

This is my last post on this subject as well. I think people will only see what they want to see.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-26.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-25.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-27.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-images-28.jpeg  

Malhi is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 23:22   #1656

I just realised that there is no option of LX Mt variant with convertible top on Thar website. Is it true that convertible only comes with either AX or LX Auto. It doesn't make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200819232030_chrome.jpg  

harmeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 23:40   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
I just realised that there is no option of LX Mt variant with convertible top on Thar website. Is it true that convertible only comes with either AX or LX Auto. It doesn't make sense.
Seems like it, sadly! I wonder why they're doing this - is it impossible to configure it like this, or they are just being stupid?
Old 20th August 2020, 06:25   #1658

I must say that this thread has been a revelation for me.

Lurking on this forum since mid-2009 (read a thread on Gopalswamy Betta), and having been brought up in a Mahindra aficionado 'sarkari' family - learned driving on a Mahindra CJ-3B (late 1970 iteration - the one which came with indicators) and having 'experienced' all iterations/inspirations since then - 340, 540, Commander, Classic, Major....Bolero, Pickup.....Thar - and being fortunate enough to have owned 2 iterations of Wrangler Rubicon (JK) for last 9 years; I have to, regrettably, say that my head hangs in shame today.
'Shame' was the first word that my wife (an ex-Thar1.0 owner) uttered too after watching the Thar 2.0 reveal & the Autocar review - and after waiting for months in anticipation of the launch.

'Shame' because I wouldn't be able to defend the "Indian ingenuity" anymore - wouldn't be able to differentiate "cheap Chinese rip-off" from "rugged utilitarian Indian" anymore - wouldn't be fit enough to be inspired by "in-house developed & better than the best Japanese pride" anymore - wouldn't be able to proudly talk about Mahindra's heritage (Jeep & otherwise) in the OHV circles anymore - wouldn't be able to defend FCA's flimsy lawsuit against Roxor anymore - wouldn't be able to defend the uniqueness of the Indian automotive market anymore.

I won't delve into the details of the "carbon copy" job - which the insanely(!) argumentative folks here have already beaten to death - folks who wouldn't invest even few minutes in some basic research about Jeep JK/JL but are eager to 'declare' their opinion.

This thread and the impervious attitude/reaction of the majority members has been an eyeopener. It's actually a metaphorical summary about the state of our automotive market in India - as to why the likes of Ford, GM, Volkswagen (almost) failed - and why the Hondas, Toyotas are so apprehensive about their model launches - and why Subarus & Mazdas don't take such a big market seriously when a MG can easily setup & get going - any why it took Hyundai 20 years to finally declare that they don't want to be #1.
And maybe about everything that has gone south in the last ~20 years - why we cannot design/manufacture an assault rifle or an APC for our troops - or even a diesel/electric locomotive for our railways and instead always insist on ToT. We were there before - the mostly ingenious space/nuclear programs - but we lost it somewhere (a la GSLV).

I just hope that in the future, the discussion about Thar2.1 is centered on why the ride is still unsettled after using a rack & pinion instead of a re-circulating ball - and what do we loose/gain by going with an IFS - and why the multi-link setup at the back is inferior/better than Jeep JL's setup - and why the water fording nos. are immaterial when the differential breather tubes are half-a-inch long - and why a center transfer case makes more sense than a center differential for a part-time 4WD
As for the design, let's just say that when you re-imagining an icon, build a Bronco, build a Defender - heck even an Ineos Grenadier would do - but don't build a Thar 2.0
Mahindra has done it before (with XUV500) - hope they can do it again.

This was my first post Team-BHP - hope it's not the last.
RubiWrangler is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 08:47   #1659
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
5/7-slat replacement grilles for Mahindra Thar spotted

Pictures of what appear to be aftermarket front grille panels of the upcoming Mahindra Thar have surfaced online.

One of the major criticisms of the recently unveiled Mahindra Thar was the styling of the front grille. Many have opined that it could have been better designed. With pictures of the replacement grilles surfacing, it is clear that owners who dislike the current grille can change. The grilles are offered in 5 and 7-slat options. The 5-slot unit gets "angry eyes" headlamp housings while the 7-slat one gets a traditional round housings for the headlamps.

Attachment 2045215
Looks like the angry eyes design has been taken inspiration from the scale model on display in one of the Mahindra videos.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200820120800.png

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200820120559.png
21Archer84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 08:53   #1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
LX can be both hard or soft tops i guess.
Hard top being made available only in LX.
The convertible option in LX Auto gotta be a soft top convertible.

Above are my assumptions which i gathered out of the presentation.
Old 20th August 2020, 09:14   #1661
Senior - BHPian

It's hard to take my eyes off the one with Roxor grill, hope this too is made available for owners who don't wish to have jeep like front-end.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img20200820wa0003.jpg  

giri1.8 is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 09:16   #1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_sieben View Post
LX can be both hard or soft tops i guess.
Hard top being made available only in LX.
The convertible option in LX Auto gotta be a soft top convertible.

Above are my assumptions which i gathered out of the presentation.
That's sad. I was thinking of picking Manual with soft top. The only option I have is to go with AX
Old 20th August 2020, 10:06   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiWrangler View Post

I just hope that in the future, the discussion about Thar2.1 is centered on why the ride is still unsettled after using a rack & pinion instead of a re-circulating ball - and what do we loose/gain by going with an IFS - and why the multi-link setup at the back is inferior/better than Jeep JL's setup - and why the water fording nos. are immaterial when the differential breather tubes are half-a-inch long - and why a center transfer case makes more sense than a center differential for a part-time 4WD
Welcome to Team BHP friend.

Thar CRDe has IFS - not just for comfort or handling but that engine may not fit in there properly with a live axle underneath and Rack & Pinion steering (does nothing to the ride comfort), it's in other words a Scorpio/Bolero VLX Storm underneath - A restomod from factory.

While moving to a Scorpio set up in the rear end as well will definitely help on the ride and handling department (it may have affected the articulation and perhaps why they have given it a brake lock diff ), a short wheelbase has its limitations. Wrangler JL has a long wheelbase variant, I am sure that would ride better once you pay 5 times more.

Are you sure the diff breather tubes are half an inch long in Thar 2020? The ones in CRDe are long enough to do the job, so is the one in Scorpio. Crawl underneath and take a look or open the bonnet and you will see it and then you will see gearbox as well as transfer case breather. Competitive off-road set up will have them routed inside the cabin.

Center differential is nice to have but expensive if you want it to work properly and have a limited slip as well as lock mode for it to be any good, I'm not aware of Jeeps having them, it's perhaps to keep things simple. Single lever transfer case is easy to shift in and out even at speeds, so no worries.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:14   #1664
Senior - BHPian

If Mahindra Thar was Korean

If Mahindra Thar was Korean

Thar 1
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-korando1.jpg

Thar 2
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-korando2.jpg

I am happy that Mahindra's design team has drawn heavy inspiration from America instead of South Korea

I like the new Thar because it is a ripoff of the Wrangler, if it didn't look like one I probably wouldn't have liked it. I am considering a small offroader with auto transmission but that decision will not be done in haste and my first preference is Jimny if it happens.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:27   #1665

Below are my estimates on pricing. I may be off but looks like there will be lot of overlap between variants & options making it difficult to choose one from the group (pertrol/diesel/manual/auto/convertible/hardtop).

AX Manual Fixed Soft Top - Petrol: 9.99 Lacs
AX Manual Fixed Soft Top - Diesel: 10.49 Lacs
AX Opt Convertible Soft Top - Petrol: 10.49 Lacs
AX Opt Convertible Soft Top - Diesel: 10.99 Lacs
LX Manual 4 Seater Hard Top - Petrol: 11.49 Lacs
LX Manual 4 Seater Hard Top - Diesel: 11.99 Lacs
LX Auto 4 Seater Hard Top - Petrol: 12.49 Lacs
LX Auto 4 Seater Hard Top - Diesel: 12.99 Lacs
LX Auto 4 Seater Convertible Top - Petrol: 12.99 Lacs
LX Auto 4 Seater Convertible Top - Diesel: 13.49 Lacs

In my view Convertible will be more expensive than Hard Top coz I will pay more for it just for the fun of having one..

Last edited by harmeet : 20th August 2020 at 10:38.
harmeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks