Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 11:44   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• With that out of the way, I have decided to buy the '20 Thar .

Here's to a new chapter in Jeep motoring .
Congratulations Rush!

In fact, if I was now based in India, I would queue up for a Beige Thar LX hard top, mHawk AT.

As of now, it is difficult to convince my non-enthusiast family to go for a Jeep as it is exactly opposite of their three main requirements -
  • Ride comfort
  • Ease of ingress & egress
  • Second row space
But I am curious of the driver seat space, the older Thar and even the 2020 Jeep Wrangler for that matter has a very cramped driver seat. My knees touch the dash in the new Wrangler, even with the seats pushed all the way behind. And I remember, you had modified the driver's seat in your Classic too. I wonder how comfortable the 2020 Thar is for tall drivers.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:08   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Have been thinking through the three variants and comparing specifications across these. While LX may seem like the obvious choice at the outset, AX with following add-ons is not a bad choice as well, provided the price difference is still significant AND A/T is not a must-have, of course:
  • Convertible soft top - for the "open top" feel
  • Front facing rear seats, if needed - in fact, I would prefer the side facing ones, as it will provide more boot space after folding the seats up, compared to tumbled front-facing ones. Better still, remove them to free up significant boot space, of course at the cost of making it a 2-seater.

Advantages of AX (with above add-ons) over LX, in addition to saving some moolah:
  • Steel wheels - better suited for off-road and give that "retro" look/feel
  • 16 inch wheels - wider choice for tyre upgrade/change. Any idea on tyre specs for AX?
  • Option of petrol with manual transmission - I could not fathom the rationale behind not offering a manual petrol in LX!

That said, if this is going to be the only car in the garage, then LX is a no-brainer. Could be an option if this is the second/third car.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st August 2020 at 12:22.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:10   #1713
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be some confusion related to Hard Top.

SVP from NDTV CarNbike show mentions that hard top is removable in one of the short videos he posted online. Now Overdrive host Bertrand also mentions (twice) that its completely removable, but then at the end of review he says its NOT

Links to both videos below:

Last edited by nitinralli : 21st August 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Second video not showing
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:13   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
There seems to be some confusion related to Hard Top
Hard top is NOT removable, as called out during the unveiling. The only removable option is the "Convertible Soft Top".
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:17   #1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hard top is NOT removable, as called out during the unveiling. The only removable option is the "Convertible Soft Top".
I think while it may not be user removable, the hard top can be easily removed at the service center. End of it, its the same body structure on which Mahindra will be affixing soft or hard top
harmeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:26   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
I think while it may not be user removable, the hard top can be easily removed at the service center. End of it, its the same body structure on which Mahindra will be affixing soft or hard top
Yes, it can be removed I guess. However, I am sure there would be more than just screws and bolts - sealants would be used at joints/body-lines to make it water-proof. Water ingress during rains would be a definite concern if removed and refit. I say this based on my experience with Gypsy hard-tops. If M&M has managed to overcome this challenge, I would be more than happy as it gives us the best of both worlds!

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st August 2020 at 12:36.
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:47   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
That is great news! Congratulations

I myself have booked a 2020 Thar too, put down token amount/booking 5 days prior to the launch. Excited to own my first jeep/4x4.

- Have narrowed it down to Black, Diesel, Manual.
-Not sure if I want to get a Convertible or a Hard Top, if the hardtop is removable then I'll be going that way. Definitely want to experience the wind in my hair feeling.

Had to be done by some of us Congrats to you too!
Today I checked with M&M Dealer, Concept Automobiles, Noida. They clearly said company have not started accepting bookings and they are also not accepting any token amount. Since you mentioned you've already booked, is it something open to all or it was a special privilege extended only to you?
Old 21st August 2020, 12:48   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it can be removed I guess. However, I am sure there would be more than just screws and bolts - sealants would be used at joints/body-lines to make it water-proof. Water ingress during rains would be a definite concern if removed and refit.
Exactly what was in my mind as well. Easy on-off hard top wont be water proof nor would it be able to withstand a run at triple digit speeds - unless it is - very expensive.

We have seen this with aftermarket hard tops - a sealant is applied where the body tub meets the FRP top.

A solution would be to have an old Corvette like T-top with removable roof panels or Wrangler`s freedom top.

Even in case of Soft top - You can get inexpensive soft tops that are easy on - off but flaps like crazy at speeds and can leak in heavy rain or you can get a tight fitting soft top that stays put at speeds and wont let a drop of water in however good luck removing and refitting it oneself at home - like the CRDe soft top.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 13:42   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Will be interesting to see if they really do ( Whats your take being a Thar owner ? ), and if they do wouldn't it be a good time to buy Old gen Thar?

As it is its resale value must have taken some hit with launch of this one.
Will stop this discussion here itself from myside, since it can be discussed in the Buying a Preloved Thar thread.
Have had my Thar (2012 model) for 8 years and covered around 67 K Km on it and love it more than any of the vehicles I have owned. Drove it without AC for over a year even (my version didn't have the AC) and then got the AC fixed later. Totally love the bare bones feel and didn't add anything to it other than a music system.

The 2020 Thar fills in some missing (wish list for me for a long time) items like ABS, Airbags, Hard top and an easily removable/convertible top. The petrol engine and Automatic transmission fill some wants that I didn't realize I had. All the other features included are nice to have.

I have two other cars and do not drive much for work (even pre-Covid) so if the price is right this is just a purchase for fun and definitely not for any other reason - but this is something that appeals more than any luxury car.

World War III already happened at home while buying the Thar I currently have. Fights still occur occasionally when I am asked why we cant have a sedan like everyone else. Eagerly waiting to see the price and start WW IV at home.

Given a chance I would retain my existing Thar and replace my 13 year old Swift
sjcherian is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 13:48   #1720
BHPian

Well, driving in a open Thar in India will always remain a wishful thinking given the hot, humid and dusty Indian conditions. Unless if you are buying Thar purely for off roading purpose, it's always better to go for HT version. The fun of using soft top will just fade away after 6 months of use and will start regretting for a proper HT version on their vehicles. A highway run with a ST version will be extremely noisy and annoying, those who have used earlier Thar will understand it better.

However being said that, even i prefer to have a proper factory built convertible HT version as who on earth will dislike to have "wind in your hair" feel at least rarely !
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:47   #1721
Senior - BHPian

So I went to the dealer here as its showroom is in my way to work and I stopped by. I have never been to a Mahindra showroom ever. Experience was pleasant. The salesman was informed well.

He denied a booking amount and said they have strict instructions to not accept anything. I told him I could give him 10 / 20k to just get on the list of bookings. He said no and took my visiting card.

I asked him if he had a lot of inquiries and he said way too many. Never seen anything like it. However we had a quick chat about how many would actually buy / not buy because once you see the Thar in flesh it really is a lifestyle vehicle with many impracticalities.

He said almost all his existing Thar owners have showed interest.

Can't wait to get this vehicle now !
vkochar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:48   #1722
BHPian

Good to see a Roxor user praising it for its capability and Mahindra for a reliable engine. Do watch it. Enjoy.

Old 21st August 2020, 20:04   #1723
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
the hard top can be easily removed at the service center. End of it, its the same body structure on which Mahindra will be affixing soft or hard top
Quote:
Yes, it can be removed I guess. However, I am sure there would be more than just screws and bolts - sealants would be used at joints/body-lines to make it water-proof.
Should definitely be doable. But one consideration, guys. Removing the hard-top is one thing, storing entirely another. You will need quite a big spare area to store the hard-top when unused.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:21   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
He denied a booking amount and said they have strict instructions to not accept anything. I told him I could give him 10 / 20k to just get on the list of bookings. He said no and took my visiting card.

I asked him if he had a lot of inquiries and he said way too many. Never seen anything like it.
Here at Kochi, they are accepting booking. Booking token amount is 20K.
Old 21st August 2020, 20:45   #1725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Good to see a Roxor user praising it for its capability and Mahindra for a reliable engine. Do watch it. Enjoy.
Roxor has won multiple off-road events including King of the Hammers (4600 class). It finished second overall as well. Same engine, same chassis, same body. It sure lacked the outright power on the speed sections but had definite advantage on the rock sections. The race was very interesting to watch.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200821_204156.jpg

link

Not surprising considering how these things survive Coorg and Wayanad with next to no maintenance for years.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks