Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 13:33   #1771
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I think I might also switch my Thar to side-facing rear seats. Passengers can get in from the back which might be easier. Airport runs and big bags can be easily accommodated. And maybe in side facing, it can hold more passengers.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:45   #1772
BHPian

Side folding seats like the ones in the Innova can be also be an option. I have kept one permanently folded so that my vehicle is an easily accessible 3 seater. .
The side facing bench seats like in the old Thar wont have enough space in the new model.
Old 24th August 2020, 14:08   #1773
BHPian

I think the debate between soft and hard top or even about the practicality of the soft top is more a debate about choices once you have already decided to buy the car.

When the car got launched, I had 2 main fears (given that this was Mahindra)...

1. The interiors would not be as good as what we would like, at this stage of the automotive evolution journey in our country.
2. The ride and handling would not be what I would be comfortable with on a daily basis on city streets.

Looking at the videos and hearing the comments of the reviewers, the first one seems to have been taken care of to a large extent. However, what could be the biggest deal breaker for most people like me would be if the ride and handling is not comfortable. This is what most reviewers are explicitly or implicitly (or through their bobbing heads while driving) are implying.

That's just too sad.So near and yet so far..

I just wonder if changing the all weather tires to tires specifically designed for the roads would change the quality of the ride significantly. It could be a worthwhile investment if it made a significant difference. Use regular tires normally and change to all weather tires while going off-roading.
Taruns_Hah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:11   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Gurkha now comes with a 140 hp@3800 rpm/321Nm @1600-2400rpm FM 2.2 CR Engine IIRC.

Or they are plonking back the 90ps/280Nm 2.6L diesel motor again in the BS6 Gurkha ?
From the reports of Atuo Expo and dealerships it is the 90 PS 2.6L that Gurkha will get again

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...wali-25982.htm

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...01-032191.html
darkLightning is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:13   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think I might also switch my Thar to side-facing rear seats. Passengers can get in from the back which might be easier. Airport runs and big bags can be easily accommodated. And maybe in side facing, it can hold more passengers.
Well a Thar, whichever way you try is not suitable for a airport run. Side facing ride in a Thar guarantees only sick nauseating occupants.

To me Thar is good only for

2+ Strapped luggage with seat folded
3+ Very lil luggage say a big ice box with one seat down
4 only for a drive

PS:Thar for one i feel is vey photogenic. Your insta will love it.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:03   #1776

Quote:
I would rather remove the seats and use it as a 2-seater convertible offroader. This will be one of its kind
harmeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:15   #1777
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Well a Thar, whichever way you try is not suitable for a airport run. Side facing ride in a Thar guarantees only sick nauseating occupants.
My current Jeep is much smaller, yet is amazingly effective at airport runs. It can take bags of sizes that sedans can only dream about. I don't see why the bigger Thar shouldn't improve on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
I would rather remove the seats and use it as a 2-seater convertible offroader.
Haha! Again, that's the setup of my current Jeep. Best part about Jeeps is how owners customise them. Am sure we will see many unique 2nd-gen Thars.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:59   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Are there further confirmations about 5 door model? I read the rumor but it just says in "coming years". My only gripe with 2D model is the ingress into rear compartment seems painful for adults (LX model) while opposite facing 2 bench seats of AX are a strict no-no for me though the AX seems more "useful". My plan was to get the LX variant but asking elderly parents to climb into rear seat feels like a punishment. For reference current vehicles: a piece of junk Opel Corsa and an aging Renault Duster. Can someone who has climbed into these vehicles tell me how bad/not bad it is?
I sooo wish the 5 door variant is out next year...

Edit: This would be the only car. Not sure if that is a practical decision but its not going to be used frequently. If I am judging the use properly, it will be mostly used to go to a village in the interim with horrible roads, twice a month and this is where the Duster goes currently.

Last edited by amol4184 : 24th August 2020 at 17:05.
Old 24th August 2020, 17:17   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2020 at 20:49.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th August 2020, 19:09   #1780

Quote:
I am wondering if M&M thought of a single bucket seat behind the driver and side facing bench seat (foldable) behind the co-drive. This would enable easy ingress via the rear door and with the foldable side seat more luggage space too. Not sure what stopped them to think in these lines.
Old 24th August 2020, 19:17   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_sieben View Post
I am wondering if M&M thought of a single bucket seat behind the driver and side facing bench seat (foldable) behind the co-drive. This would enable easy ingress via the rear door and with the foldable side seat more luggage space too. Not sure what stopped them to think in these lines.
Symmetry is pleasing to the eye. Doubt that’d have pleased many. Hence, the thinking wouldn’t have evolved further. Typical design thinking trade-offs?
TokyoDrifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:33   #1782
Senior - BHPian

I would love to see it on road as soon as possible. From the pictures, it looks like absolute King on the road. I would've bought it just for the looks; short, square, old school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The glove box is shockingly small. Doesn't seem usable.

Attachment 2043291
Just about enough to carry a pair of gloves
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:01   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am heading down this lane—side facing back benches. Normal back seats sound cool but the in/out is a pain, specially lowering the clutch button front passenger seat to clamber up. And so less space is a sure shot, fall to the floor when getting out.

Dumb question: will the back tyre hump be utilised for the back benches, if side facing. Will be a much better optimisation of back cabin space!

Last edited by asingh1977 : 24th August 2020 at 20:02.
Old 24th August 2020, 20:03   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That would kill the soul of the Thar!
Actually, they have done it already. Jeeps were always available as a two wheel drive option. Jeep DJ, or Dispatcher, was a two wheel drive jeep. Wrangler was sold as a two wheel drive option in 4 door model from 2007 to 2010. While I understand your feeling, it always made a business case.
Old 24th August 2020, 21:25   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Zighwheels' take on the Thar. Loved the closing comment: "In a sea of wannabe UVs, this indeed is a simple(proper) SUV"

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th August 2020 at 21:37.
SoumenD is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks