Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:59   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Launch one variant of the Thar 2020 - a hard top, automatic LX variant, remove the 4x4 and all such aids. Make this a proper road going version with better interiors, creature comforts, ride quality, steering feel and on road manners.

This variant should/could garner huge sales as a majority of the fence sitters (like me) who will never go off road or need this ability, to buy this vehicle and satisfy the itch to own a Thar.

Cheers

Its called a TUV 300.
JayD is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 21:42   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Same here. Last night, I briefly left the family room where the news was on, to watch Sirish's offroading video. I have NEVER done this for any other car. Have fallen for this Jeep, hook + line + sinker. Trust me, it is taking enormous willpower to wait a year (or two) for my Thar.

Attachment 2050475
Hey GTO...Why do you say wait a year or two? Are you waiting for v2 to be launched with v1’s initial niggles resolved? Or is this car actually up for sale only later in 2021?
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:16   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
.... Are you waiting for v2 to be launched ..
Atleast I'm waiting for a longer wheelbase version of the Thar.

Not asking for a very long Thar that will make it look like a Trax and lose its Thar character and its ramp-over angle.
Just increase the wheelbase by a bit to accomodate two more narrow doors for easier access to the rear seats and with a slightly more boot space. This will make it more practical.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd September 2020 at 22:18.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:54   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Atleast I'm waiting for a longer wheelbase version of the Thar.
Wouldn't that be a looong wait? Note that this very thread started in 2017 and ran for 3 long years until 15/8/20 on when we got to see the baby.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:06   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Wouldn't that be a looong wait?
It shouldn't take too much time to get the extended wheelbase version out.

All the mechanicals, engine, drivetrain, front and rear panels would be identical in the long and short version.

The only difference would be a longer(stiffer) chassis, three person seating at the rear, two doors and more robust suspension coils tuned to take on the additional weight. Not much of a design challenge or change.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:39   #1926
BHPian

Pssst.....There has been a spike of old Thars for sale on OLX recently. I wonder why.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 16:13   #1927
VRJ
BHPian

This is an interesting video about the Thar I found on YouTube. It’s by xbhp. It’s less of a review of the 2020 Thar and more about how aspirational the brand Thar is and how apparently it’s a bikers car. Well shot, if you ask me. Good cinematography and good narration. In the video, he sits on top of the hard-top, how much weight do you folks reckon it can handle?

What I don’t understand is why are the reviews coming out one by one? When the Carandbike and Evo India’s review came out, I was expecting every other channels review would also come out. But, surprisingly no. Historically, isn’t Autocar always the first one to get exclusives? In general, there’s an embargo and all reviews go live at a specific time and date. Not sure what’s happening with the Thar. Did M&M send a car to Team-BHP for a review?

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 4th September 2020 at 16:27.
VRJ is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 18:34   #1928
Team-BHP Support

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
This is an interesting video about the Thar I found on YouTube. It's by xbhp.

What I don't understand is why are the reviews coming out one by one? When the Carandbike and Evo India's review came out, I was expecting every other channels review would also come out. But, surprisingly no.

Cheers!

He did not mention a single thing of consequence as reviews go. But what a video. Completely connected with me. Really sweetly narrated as well. As a biker and a reasonably premium sedan owner there were some aspects that really rang true.

Thanks for sharing this.

Reviews are completed, processed and released at each one's own pace. Let's enjoy them as they come out.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th September 2020 at 18:46.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:51   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Did M&M send a car to Team-BHP for a review?
If the car was already in the TBHP garage, then we would have surely seen a pic from GTO of his highway run. Err.. this time maybe off the road!
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:20   #1930
BHPian

Wait, I just noticed something odd. The front wheel well is square while rear one is circular. What a strange design. Maybe they thought at last moment, too much resemblance to Wrangler might cause them issues here as well.
Old 5th September 2020, 10:28   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Wait, I just noticed something odd. The front wheel well is square while rear one is circular. What a strange design. Maybe they thought at last moment, too much resemblance to Wrangler might cause them issues here as well.
It is common in Jeeps from 50's onwards. Even GTO's Mahindra Classic has this design. This was already discussed in this thread before.

Reference post :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4870792
WhiteSierra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:42   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
It is common in Jeeps from 50's onwards. Even GTO's Mahindra Classic has this design. This was already discussed in this thread before.
The question has already been asked and answered on this thread, Sai... it's not a strange design at all. In fact, even the Thar 1.0, the Original Willys MB / Ford GPW from the 1940s, and every model in between (Willys CJ 2A, Willys CJ 3A, Willys CJ 3B, Mahindra CJ 3B, Mahindra CJ 340, Mahindra CJ 540, Mahindra MM 550, Mahindra Classic, Mahindra Major and Mahindra Legend) have featured the exact same design language! On the contrary, I would personally find it "strange" and "odd" if the Thar 2.0 had ditched the iconic design and, in the process, ignored its heritage...

For a more detailed discussion with photographs, please see my earlier post (before the once referenced by WhiteSierra): https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4868312

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 5th September 2020 at 10:57. Reason: Avoiding back-to-back posts
Hawkeye269 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:58   #1933
BHPian

Got a call from Mahindra since I registered my interest in Thar on 15th August. They asked if I am aware of all advancements and features in the latest gen Thar to which I replied affirmative.

They wanted to know when will/can I buy it. I told them I can only respond after the prices are revealed. They confirmed my basic details, asked my age, car I own currently, exchange required, etc.
Seems they want to check the profiles of persons who registered interest.
Old 5th September 2020, 12:12   #1934
BHPian

Very beautifully made video. However, this is a review vehicle and sad to see the reviewer standing on the bonet. I am sure he will not do such thing on his own vehicle. This is a bit unprofessional. Typical indian mentality. People abuse TD vehicles and review vehicles in India as it is nothing wrong.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:59   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post

I would personally find it "strange" and "odd" if the Thar 2.0 had ditched the iconic design and, in the process, ignored its heritage...

For a more detailed discussion with photographs, please see my earlier post (before the once referenced by WhiteSierra): https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4868312

My apologies. How did I even miss your original post?

True, these off - fenders sure look iconic and more "JEEP" like, would carry same legacy which we all have been seeing for ages. It also looks more butch.

As far as I remember, The old Thar was built grounds up from drawing board, sure it looks similar to MM 540 or other older jeeps, that was to preserve the "Jeep" looks and feel, but no single component is common in both the models, everything was built from scratch.

Behram sir also played a key role in getting approval from Mahindra for Thar. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a "Mahindra Thar / JEEP" now. I've read many posts of his in this forum how he made this project possible despite many apprehensions from Mahindra commercial operations team. Sure it was a crude product and a rust bucket, but that was a true blood SUV. All of us enthusiasts owe Behram sir big time for bringing back our childhood favorite "Jeep" on roads. Digging few old threads will reveal his passion and dedication for this project.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th September 2020 at 17:12. Reason: Quoted post removed.
WhiteSierra is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks