Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2017, 12:18   #61
BANNED

Re: TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3

I cant wait longer to read through a detailed T-BHP review.

On a lighter note, considering niggles in all new TATA cars, I think 250 numbers of guinea pigs are enough to sort them out and get a much mature recemo version 2 with a cool hybrid and AWL with proper AT.
Old 8th March 2017, 12:27   #62
BHPian

No, we don't want this. We want something like the new car that leaves everything behind

Anyway, I think 250 units is a reasonable expectation from Tata. Perhaps might attract more people like me if priced around 15 lakh, but I see that the purpose is not that. So, overall I am happy with the effort and positioning from Tata.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Around 900 kgs. Ground Clearance = 165mm.

Why the heck would you plonk in an AMT in a sports car? The specifications simply beg for a short-shifting 6-speed MT. It would have made the car a hoot to drive, with 190 horses pulling it.

I feel TaMo missed a trick here.

Maybe there will be an optional MT on offer when the car enters production for it's 250-unit limited run. I sincerely hope they consider this.
Let the test drive results come out. 0-100 in 6 seconds speak a lot about the AMT integration. TAMO will always miss a trick here ( IN INDIA) because we will always criticize instead of appreciating
amit_mechengg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 12:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

First, they laugh at us (Nano, JLR purchase).
And, they frown at us (Aria, Zest, Bolt).
And, they still doubt us (Tiago).
Then, they sit up and take notice (Hexa).
And then, they nod at us in approval (Tigor, Nexon).
Finally, they raise their hands and applaud (RaceMo).

That pretty much sums up the rebirth (revolution) of Tata as a car maker, I guess.

Disclaimer: Do move the models up and down whichever way they tugged at you!

Last edited by discoverwild : 8th March 2017 at 12:58.
discoverwild is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:04   #65
BHPian

Just love the way things are happening in TATA Motors these days!

After acquiring JLR, it seems everything they do is with a sense of purpose. First they turned around JLR itself and now it is biggest contributor to TATA Motors top-line. Then they came up with TIAGO, HEXA, TIGOR, NEXON (TIGOR & NEXON will launch in coming months). All really nice products.

250 units of this RACEMO would sell in no time. I believe TATA should make TAMO more than a niche performance brand, and evolve it as we have Lexus by Toyota, Acura by Honda and Infinity by Nissan!
Jas21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 14:04   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Let the test drive results come out. 0-100 in 6 seconds speak a lot about the AMT integration. TAMO will always miss a trick here ( IN INDIA) because we will always criticize instead of appreciating
While it's a great feeling being a fanboy, let's be real here.

We all have been critical of how Volkswagen hasn't provided a quick-shifting manual in the GT TSI, and even the 7-speed DSG, despite it's lightning-quick shifts, still doesn't do true justice to the stonker of the engine inside.

A lightweight, pulse-pounding, powerful sports car literally begs for a manual transmission, specially if it's a super-quick, short-shifting MT.

It would have been wonderful to have the all-new 6-speed transmission developed for the Nexon with the Racemo's engine. From what I have heard from my Tata plant birdies, it was a straight fit and tests were even finalised with the 6-speed MT.

But, TaMo went the AMT route at the last moment and launched the Racemo with it. Waiting to hear back from the birdies the reason behind this decision.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 14:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While it's a great feeling being a fanboy, let's be real here.

A lightweight, pulse-pounding, powerful sports car literally begs for a manual transmission, specially if it's a super-quick, short-shifting MT.
I had already predicted you would jump in with calling out names like fanboy etc , but nevertheless my point is very clear. Whatever efforts tata takes critics are many.

Coming to your logic of manual vs auto shifts have a look at below videos.
P.S - i love manual shifters

While you would still keep beating the bush with your logic the world is moving towards auto shifts, auto drive , fast electric cars and TAMO must have surely applied some brains behind going the Auto way.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 8th March 2017 at 14:38.
amit_mechengg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 14:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I think it's fair game to be disappointed with the lack (as known at this point) of a manual in what's supposed to be a fun to drive sports car. I'm a Tata fan myself who still owns a 11 year Xeta and appreciates it for what it does well (trust me, it does a few things nicely ), and I would unhesitatingly criticize Tata if it ended up not offering a manual - regardless of whether its price tag allows me to buy it or not.

I'd say they definitely miss the trick if they offer just an AMT without a manual option.
skandyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
I think it's fair game to be disappointed with the lack (as known at this point) of a manual in what's supposed to be a fun to drive sports car. I'm a Tata fan myself who still owns a 11 year Xeta and appreciates it for what it does well (trust me, it does a few things nicely ), and I would unhesitatingly criticize Tata if it ended up not offering a manual - regardless of whether its price tag allows me to buy it or not.

I'd say they definitely miss the trick if they offer just an AMT without a manual option.
It all depends on choices, if TAMO gives a manual shift too with this in future nothing like it. If you drive a hexa automatic and a hexa 6 speed its a no brainer that Auto drives better. We see many BMW series only in AT variants.
In the US most of the performance cars come in the AT variant only. While we still love Petrol / Diesel cars , Manual transmission etc as the world advances we will have to cope up with Electric cars , auto transmissions etc. Thats the future.

Also lets not forget AMT has a manual mode + the paddle shifters
Old 8th March 2017, 15:13   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

A closer look at the TaMo Racemo, courtesy AutoX's Twitter.

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yzwhpxqaaca_i.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yd52kxqaaklmy.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yd52lxeaara36.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yd52kwuaajvmr.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6ydounwaaes2vz.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6ydouiwcaabnbc.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6ydouixqaadelo.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6ydouixeaa_xo_.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yd52mxmaem90l.jpg

Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP-c6yzwhqwqaquarg.jpg

Among other things, it comes with an inbuilt selfie camera inside the cabin!
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:22   #71
BHPian

Very busy steering I would say. will take time to get used to.

And What is the Drone camera?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:59   #72
BHPian

Here is take of foreign media on Tamo Racemo

http://jalopnik.com/tatas-first-perf...ore-1793047638

Much of the thoughts in this forum are reflected in the article.
sushantr5 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 16:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Around 900 kgs. Ground Clearance = 165mm.

Why the heck would you plonk in an AMT in a sports car? The specifications simply beg for a short-shifting 6-speed MT. It would have made the car a hoot to drive, with 190 horses pulling it.

I feel TaMo missed a trick here.

Maybe there will be an optional MT on offer when the car enters production for it's 250-unit limited run. I sincerely hope they consider this.
I was curious and checked the mazda miata's numbers 155 hp @ 6000 rpm and torque of 148 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm with a weight of 1110kg

If this is just 900 kgs and 190ps. Thats commendable.
Of course, I know power and weight isn't everything! But still a good indicator of what to expect.

About the manual vs AMT, I guess boy racers will like the F1 steering wheel and paddle shifters more.

From the pictures, I personally find the three screened cockpit a bit over done and in the face of the driver. If I'm driving it, I'm afraid I'll be distracted by the information overload. Of course, I'll have to see it person to know for sure.
N.r.K is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 16:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
rom the pictures, I personally find the three screened cockpit a bit over done and in the face of the driver. If I'm driving it, I'm afraid I'll be distracted by the information overload. Of course, I'll have to see it person to know for sure.
I feel the screens are optional extra, useful on trackdays.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 18:46   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Here is take of foreign media on Tamo Racemo

Much of the thoughts in this forum are reflected in the article.
Guess the styling could have been better - things like the wheel arches are making it look less sleek. Personally, will give it a pass as a decent first attempt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks