Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 16:42   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata / Tamo 'Racemo' Sportscar: Mid-engined, 1.2-liter turbo, 187 BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Interesting concept. Interesting step. But the choice of the engine surprises me a bit. As a nation, have we evolved enough to invest 25L on a car which sports a 1200 cc 3 cylinder engine? Why shouldn't I just buy a BMW at that price ( a sparingly used 320d making 184 BHP will be easily available at that price). It brings with itself the added advantage of a luxury badge, is a time tested product, seats 4 easily and is possibly (?) more aspirational than a 25L Rs Tata car, regardless of that sports car design.
Some of them are valid points, such as the engine, aspiration factor of a Tata car etc. However, in some aspects, the reality is against your logic. As far as I know, two seater cars, esp. with butterfly doors cost more than E class sedans or 7-seater SUVs

Not everyone has the same priority or taste, else nobody will be buying the Hexa but a used BMW or a Benz.
Old 14th March 2017, 16:54   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Some of them are valid points, such as the engine, aspiration factor of a Tata car etc. However, in some aspects, the reality is against your logic. As far as I know, two seater cars, esp. with butterfly doors cost more than E class sedans or 7-seater SUVs

Not everyone has the same priority or taste, else nobody will be buying the Hexa but a used BMW or a Benz.
You have mistaken my point or may be I was not clear enough. I am not pricing the car on basis of space available. A 2 seater sports car is a regular feature in most petrol head's dreams. My point about the 4 seats available in other luxury and more importantly equally faster cars was that it might be just an added advantage for some.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:19   #108
mxx
BHPian

Ofcourse not the real thing, but worth a watch

Now if the performance comes close to what is shown in the simulation, this will be a very interesting car

Like others, I too wish they priced it around 15lakhs. But, if they are going to limit this to 250 units, there is no way they will price it at 15 lakhs.

Last edited by mxx : 23rd March 2017 at 10:31.
mxx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Highlights off Autocar UKs article:

Quote:
- A new word – ‘phygital’ – has been coined for projects like this, and the Racemo’s twin instigators, Tata head of advanced and product engineering Tim Leverton and head of design Pratap Bose, believe it’s the beginning of something very big. Autocar met the pair a couple of weeks ago at Tata’s European design and engineering HQ on the outskirts of Coventry, a stone’s throw from Jaguar’s former Browns Lane HQ

- Leverton says we’ll see two more Tamo products in the cycle plan before 2020. Along the way, Tamo’s management will establish what Leverton calls “an innovation hub” at each of its technical centres around the world – in the UK, the US, India and Italy – comprising a handful of senior people able to meet small innovators and set up projects and agreements, without necessarily having to involve head office.

- the Racemo is a beguiling little car, about the same length as an original BMW Mini at 3835mm overall, with a radically shaped body that directs air through as well as around its composite plastic panels. Overall weight is targeted at 800kg, although it’s not clear whether this will be achieved. The Racemo’s shape and graphics were devised at Tata’s Turin design centre, with the Lotus Elise and Alfa Romeo 4C as influences, although there are no similarities. The Racemo’s success is that it looks more practical than an Elise and less bulky than a 4C.

- The engine is a transversely mounted 1.2-litre turbocharged triple producing 188bhp and 155lb ft, and driving the rear wheels through a six-speed paddle-shift gearbox. One sign of Tamo’s eye for reduced complication is the fact that you must always use the paddles to change gears. There’s no auto mode, says Leverton, but he expects owners to see this as a virtue. The tyres are differently sized front to rear, as befits a car with a 60% rearward weight distribution, and the brakes are Brembo discs.

- A little car intended for a modest build of 250 units – and to appear on the streets from early next year

Source: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...rts-car-racemo

Mod Note : It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2017 at 12:12. Reason: Please see the note that has been added at the end of your post.
shortbread is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:10   #110
Team-BHP Support

I like that top shot. The car looks really good from that angle.

As for deliveries, I see "end of the year" has already become "early next year"
Old 31st May 2017, 16:04   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Thats precisely the point... Design is subjective (although there are elements that are objective, such as drag, usable space etc.). So, why would you (or anyone) take offense to someone saying that this design feels dated. Do you want everyone to agree with you?

I will correct your opinion on one thing... I am not a brand snob. I am a value snob. I do come from a family of loyal Tata car buyers and I currently own an XUV500.

My critical comments were restricted to THIS car. It is perfectly possible for two people to look at a car and come away with different opinions. I feel this car design looks too busy and there could be some performance shortcomings on account of the design.
You are a design purist, you find the RaceMo dated and 'too busy' and you drive an XUV500

Hmmm. . . you do agree design is subjective. Who am I to question your taste for cheetah claw door handles and tribal tattoos on rear lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I think its a fantastic opportunity being grabbed by Tata. Tata is improving their image in the eyes of general population. Aria was launched in 2010 and the reaction of most people was: who would pay so much for a Tata? But today its a completely changed perception for Hexa.
Can you guess the country where almost as many Arias were sold as in India? . . . . .Surprise, surprise Italy and Spain is next on the list!

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2017 at 11:08. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the MULTIQUOTE option in the future (see FAQs for how).
Ferruccio is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 23:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
You are a design purist, you find the RaceMo dated and 'too busy' and you drive an XUV500

Hmmm. . . you do agree design is subjective. Who am I to question your taste for cheetah claw door handles and tribal tattoos on rear lenses
You must have me confused for Ambani. If I had to restrict myself to purist's dreams, I would be driving an Aston Martin and NOT living in Antilla. Mere mortals like me have to make do with what is practical even if it does come with cheetah stripes.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:39   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please avoid off-topic posts. Let's stick to the Racemo please.

Thank you!
Old 12th July 2017, 15:49   #114
BHPian

Looks like 'Racemo' project may not see the light.

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-tamo-r...-12232530.html

"....now in the latest issue of Autocar India magazine, it has been reported that Tata has shelved the TaMo project indefinitely. As per the report, to launch TaMo, the brand will have to invest INR 250 crores. Some board members of Tata are now of the opinion that the same amount can be used to revive the company’s CV division."

Last edited by amvj : 12th July 2017 at 15:50.
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 17:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

the way tata announces models and initiatives, and then "strategically" retreats from them, is good enough to give the french a run for their money. Compared to the other players in the auto industry, their say:do ratio is so poor, that whenever a new product is announced, especially a niche one, we can be fairly certain that it won't be launched. Instead, their existing product portfolio will keep on getting rehashed over and over again!

I will go out on a limb, and predict that despite the multiple threads on the indigo and indica going to be withdrawn, they won't, and instead, a facelifted version will be out shortly, and I look forward to buying my kids a new indica, just like dad's when they reach driving age
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:39   #116
BHPian

This is bad news.
Hopefully, someone will make this happen. Think about it- startups that sell groceries online are getting funds of hundreds and millions of dollars (and shutting down) while Tata motors, one of the most important heavy engineering companies in India, is deciding the fate of a flagship product for something like USD 40 million. That is perhaps less than the salary drawn by the top management of the company..
If they can make this happen, imagine how much attention they could get from the average guy who still thinks Tata means trucks.
I hope and pray that capable professionals evaluate this project. I was looking forward to the launch.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 12th July 2017 at 18:41.
Old 13th July 2017, 18:31   #117
BHPian

I think they should take this opportunity to project it as a proper electric sports car, much like how Tesla started their innings.
Old 13th July 2017, 18:46   #118
Team-BHP Support

Rs. 250 crores is 1% of (Tata Motors + JLR) operating profits. If the cost of development is only Rs. 250 Cr, then it is unlikely to the reason for culling the project.

Perhaps somebody at the top decided that Tata Motors should focus on core product development, and not get distracted by side projects like this one.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 22:51   #119
BHPian

I am not worried. The car is not that good looking. Also 187bhp is too less for a sportscar especially we are seeing hot hatches in Europe in excess of 300hp.

That said Tata should use this 187hp motor and create a hot hatch instead.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

Well, We have seen umpteen number of concepts from Tata motors that never saw the light of the day. We have been hearing about a sports division and sportier versions of Indica, Nano, Bolt and recently the Tiago too with no concrete evidence for a very long time too.

So the RaceMo being shelved should not surprise anybody. And I don't think there were people saving up money and waiting impatiently for this launch anyway.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks