Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 21:55   #1381
BANNED

Somewhere I read that Jeep Compass does not have a remote tailgate lock release. If true, this could be a major hassle in india where every shopping or multiplex requires you to open the tailgate /trunk for security inspection.
Old 31st July 2017, 22:01   #1382
BANNED

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
Somewhere I read that Jeep Compass does not have a remote tailgate lock release. If true, this could be a major hassle in india where every shopping or multiplex requires you to open the tailgate /trunk for security inspection.
In pretty much every modern car these days, it is linked to the central locking, so if you unlock it(and allow the doors to be opened from the outside), you just need to press on a button to unlatch the boot. I've seen that all guards at the malls/hotels are familiar with it.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 22:03   #1383
BHPian

This is a well calculated move by FCA. Pricing a product with great brand awareness aggressively should work well.

This could just trigger price correction for XUV, HEXA, Tuscon, Santa Fe, Mu 7 and even Fortuner. Further TD's and interior details are the key. I just hope that base model should have enough bells and whistles to make it worthy of 20L.
Old 31st July 2017, 22:09   #1384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
The Jeep dealership in Kochi doesn't seem to be stocking or selling the Compass. A call today and Dad was directed to the Thrissur Dealership!

Wonder why Jeep would do that! Kochi seems to be a more logical choice especially when they have a showroom there!
Doesnt seem right. Pinnacle dealership seemed to be open the last time I passed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Did you check with Hyson or Pinnacle? I had gone to the Pinnacle Jeep showroom in Kalamassery last month. They had the Compass on display (along with the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee).
Yes, they have closed their older Fiat showroom and service centre and are focussing only on the Jeep. Smart decision.
Old 31st July 2017, 22:12   #1385
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I hope FCA doesnt do a ford and start increasing their prices.
I do not know if these prices are introductory or not but no doubt you will see a price correction sooner rather than later. My bet is right after Diwali !
Old 31st July 2017, 22:23   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post

Compass is a great alternative to overpriced vehicles like Creta, Tiguan, Tucson, MU-X and CRV, not to Hexa IMHO
But still Hexa is not selling much, and Creta is a big hit. In our market it boils down to Brand image. And we all know how tedious building a brand is.

I quite like Ford's effort in this regard (recent advertisements with reel life villains portrayed as normal/good individuals).

Coming to Jeep, Brilliant prices notwithstanding, Fiat should not have done the co-branding the way they have done within their showrooms, i.e. FIAT+ABARTH +JEEP under one roof. Although we enthusiasts love our Fiats, for mass market it is a failed brand (lets face it). And co-branding with a failed brand is a risky move IMHO.

I hope and pray that FIAT tastes success with Jeep!

I just love Compass and wish its still around when I can buy one!
Old 31st July 2017, 22:43   #1387

Confused !

While the jeep-compass-India site doesn't mention about any automatic headlamps in the "specification" section: (specs, screen shot below) ....

Name:  Screen Shot 20170731 at 10.11.41 PM.png
Views: 6954
Size:  165.3 KB

....in their "Exterior Section"(exterior), they hint about an automatically illuminating headlamp !! (Why hint? Me a bit confused!)

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screen-shot-20170731-10.10.01-pm.png

Thoughts?
dinkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:06   #1388
Team-BHP Support

You know I actually feel this is "correct" pricing for the Compass. It's got a unique positioning.

It's genuinely one of the most capable 4x4s around its immediate price range. The duster is aging, with a much lesser engine. Creta is not 4x4 and the Tucson although 4x4 (I think?) probably not as capable. XUV again not a 4x4 in same league as Jeep.

Having said that, Jeep is still a size too small to go head to head in the space department with Tucson. It's much better being compared with Creta on size.

It's found its perfect price point - at a rightful premium to the Creta and a rightful discount to Tucson.

Hexa of course is a proper 7 seat full fat MUV with 4x4 capability but that's a different product for another kind of consumer.

I think the Jeep has actually found a unique product niche at the RIGHT price point, specially when the 4x4 diesel AT comes in.

Bring it on Jeep!! I just hope reliability and service standards present an equally pleasant experience.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:51   #1389
BHPian

At the cost of repetition, sharp pricing by FCA! Never before a price release of a car which was launched around a month back would have generated so much enthusiasm. They should handle the car and the customers with kids glove, especially on the service part.

I really hope that this works for FCA the way Scorpio worked for Mahindra, Fiat is suddenly back in the business. Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra now have a credible competition from Fiat that they need to be wary of. I am sure that Fiat will update the pricing in the coming months and have a feeling that they will introduce Diesel AT as they would not want to miss on the AT customers.

Just a thought. Of Kotler's 4Ps, Fiat has got Product, Price and Promotion bang on the target. They now need to manage the Place (read showroom) properly to have the customers lining for Compass
Old 31st July 2017, 23:52   #1390
BHPian

I think the pricing of Jeep Compass is just about right, not too aggressive but everyone would have loved it to be a tad bit lower specially for the top variants I presume.

Also I don't see Compass denting sales of Hexa, XUV500, Innova or Fortuner. This is a folly and an argument we come up with at launch of every new vehicle. All these SUVs / MUVs have their own strengths and weaknesses and I think there are enough and more buyers out there.

While FCA has received 5000 bookings, I believe at least 20% of these 5000 bookings will get cancelled for multiple reasons - lack of specific feature, price not matching their expectation, delay in delivery, etc.

Come Diwali, I expect all manufacturers to come up with lucrative offers. However FCA will have its hands full and will continue to operate at current price. So if pricing is a consideration for anyone, I am sure other manufacturers will be able to lure customers.

Some of the positives for Jeep Compass
- Strong built
- Stunning looks
- Mechanically brilliant
- Safety features

Some of the challenges for Jeep Compass
- Limited FCA dealer network
- After sales service
- Resalve value
- Missing features

Will initially sell more than Punto & Linea but after 6 months will clock ~500 per month
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:57   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
While FCA has received 5000 bookings, I believe at least 20% of these 5000 bookings will get cancelled for multiple reasons - lack of specific feature, price not matching their expectation, delay in delivery, etc.
Many were waiting for the price. I am sure FCA would get much more new bookings now. Out of 5 friends who have booked Compass, only one has cancelled (reason is lack of Diesel auto / delayed launch). But, 3 more friends have decided to buy/booked Compass today
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:57   #1392
BHPian

Oh! wow, I feel that the Compass is decently priced by FCA India. Not a steal, at the same time it definitely isn't overpriced like the Creta. Speaking of overpricing, certain manufacturers will desperately be hoping that the Jeep does not sell well because if it does then they and their overrated/overpriced products will have to come from the clouds down to earth.

Personally, I'm in love with the looks of this bad boy. Brand Jeep might have a winner on it's hand. The awesome looks, features, engines and now the pricing makes the Compass a very tempting deal. I really hope Compass manages to do for the Jeep brand what Duster did for Renault and i20 did for Hyundai, ie, make a good impression in the minds of the buyers plus announce it's presence into minds of the Indian masses.

Last edited by tjacob : 1st August 2017 at 00:00.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 00:55   #1393
BHPian

Congrats to FCA for pricing it very competitively. All they have to do now is speed up the deliveries and have a decent ASS. This two if done properly will take them a long way.

This is how I believe it would turn up:

- Aam janta will be happy to settle with Creta. Just for the brand and goodies it offers.

- People with needs for a rugged AWD/7 seater can look into the direction of Duster, Hexa, XUV.

- People who were in dilemma between Tucson and Tiguan, I think have got the answers today

With this pricing they should get some decent numbers. It will be very interesting from here on to see how they price Renegade and the sub 4m SUV when the launch them.

Exciting times ahead in FCA camp ..!

Last edited by RJ411 : 1st August 2017 at 00:56. Reason: typo
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 05:10   #1394
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant pricing for the Compass. Came as no surprise to me because erstwhile FIAPL and now FCA has always undercut the competition with mouth watering sticker pricing coupled with decent to great packaging. Do scroll back in history for Punto and Linea launch threads and you'll see similar levels of excitement and flagwaving to declare it a block buster success.

There is however a difference this time. The product matches the quality or even exceeds it when compared to the competition it is placed against. It comes with a refreshed badge, great looks, a basket full of options to choose from and has safety kits included right from the base variant. Couldn't find a single review calling out the Compass as a boring car to drive. None of them reported significant quality issues on the product either.

While many may predict it to be a Creta beater, a Duster slayer or an XUV butcher, I feel it will be neither of the three. At best, it will poach on a few 10s or 100 buyers. Eventually, it will settle down to anywhere between 600-800 units after the hype curve around it subsides and initial deliveries finish. With 50 touch points and an equivalent number of service outlets, FCA has some more distance to go before it settles down and raises its marketshare.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st August 2017 at 08:35.
moralfibre is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 05:16   #1395

Mod Note: Duplicate post deleted. Please wait for moderator approval of your first 25 posts as a newbie member and avoid reposting identical content. Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 1st August 2017 at 07:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks