Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 14:49   #91
OSH
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs

Overdrive India's first drive review is out.
Quote:
On the whole, the Scorpio retains its old-school feel while feeling more modern and car-like to drive with its higher performance and new, vastly improved transmission. Better brakes are a welcome change too, while the ride quality didn't let me complain, on the test track at least. The reverse camera is a value addition though Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are not on offer just yet. Mahindra tells us it is working on offering the connectivity though. We expect the refreshed Scorpio to be priced in the same region as the outgoing version. Given its changes and improvements, the Scorpio which is billed as one of the original Indian SUVs, continues to offer a likeable feel to those looking for an old-school SUV.
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-2017mahindrascorpiofacelift18.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-2017mahindrascorpiofacelift16.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-2017mahindrascorpiofacelift5.jpg

Click here to read the entire review.
OSH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 15:20   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Features across variants of the new Scorpio facelift:

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-untitled.jpg

What's new:

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-1.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-2.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-3.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 15:28   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

They have done away with 4wd on the base variant and the blue shade.

But, why did they change the variant naming convention? From even to odd, some numerologist behind it?
Old 14th November 2017, 17:33   #94
Senior - BHPian

Albeit the car looks old school, it still has retained its looks (somehow the new grille design with split boxes in between reminds me of Compass - not to my liking) - outgoing model had better grille design which kinda added to the imposing stance - IMO.

Mahindra’s planners are pretty proactive in ensuring they don’t lose out on competition and keep Scorpio brand living for few more years. This is where they score against Tata by keeping the car to date with the trend by giving it mild life upgrades in every 2-4 years span. This is how Scorpio is still living despite being a durable machine. Infact my observation tells me they follow this routine upgrades for each of their products. The list for Scorpio upgrades is pretty extensive list, as I read it here.

Feature list - pretty exhaustive, although few are existent in the outgoing model and the main mechanical upgrade comes in form of 6 speed transmission and power bump to 140bhp.

List:
Enhanced low-end torque
New 6th Generation Borg Warner Turbo Charger
New easy shift 6-Speed Transmission
New Refinements in NVH result in a quieter cabin
New latest generation braking system with 9.1 Bosch ABS
New front grille with chrome inserts
New alloy wheels
New ORVMs with integrated side turn indicators
New fog lamps with a chrome bezel
New tailgate with chrome applique and an aeroblade wiper
New lens for the LED tail lamps
New redesigned footstep on the rear bumper
New clear lens turn indicators and chrome highlights in the headlamps
New skid plate
New upper and lower grille mesh design
New look air extractors
New plush faux leather seats with faux leather wrapped steering wheel and gear lever
New roof mounted sunglass holder
New mobile holder slot and bigger cubbyholes
New reverse parking camera with dynamic assist
New 1-touch lane change indicator
New auto window roll-up
Projector headlamps with static bending technology and LED eyebrows
15cms (6”) touch screen infotainment with Bluetooth/ CD/ DVD/ USB/ Aux
GPS navigation in 10 languages
Driver information system
Steering mounted audio & cruise controls
Cushion suspension & anti-roll technology
Shift-on-the-fly 4WD system
Intellipark
Electrically adjustable ORVMs
Tyre-tronics
Micro hybrid technology
Rain & light sensors
Gear shift indicator
Voice assist system
Hydraulically assisted bonnet
Dual Airbags (Passenger + Driver)
ABS
Panic brake indication
Collapsible steering column & side intrusion beams
Engine immobilizer
Anti-theft warning
Seat belt reminder lamp
Speed alert
Auto door lock while driving

Source: Motoroids

Unlike Safari, though the build & ride quality is good, with reliability still being questioned, Tata is not focusing on their decade old legend in keeping the features in check. Probably they’re more busy in focusing on their new line up. But I strongly feel they should’ve given an in-depth look at Storme once before the new gen comes sometime in 2018 or 2019! Or they’re laid back because they got the tender from government for bulk safari deliveries to our army
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:36   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
But, why did they change the variant naming convention?....
Odd numbers to go with odd styling?

This iteration looks like a cheap toy compared to the first two generations of the Scorpio, before they started messing with the design.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:51   #96
BHPian

The chassis is fairly modern as it was introduced in 2014 but the body shell is over a decade old. This product and name deserved a thorough overhaul of body shell in the interests of safety at least as the chassis is modular and did not need a change but sadly looks like Mahindra want to milk it as long as they can with minimum investment.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 18:03   #97
BHPian

From the neat simple classy look of the original Scorpio to this wired quirky design! Mahindra designers have lost the plot.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-96401361ce494a62b489afe2ed20b780.jpeg  

John is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 22:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

Its time the Global NCAP crash test this one too. I really want to see if Mahindra actually did anything on the safety front after the previous test showed this:

ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 23:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
From the neat simple classy look of the original Scorpio to this wired quirky design! Mahindra designers have lost the plot.
I completely agree to your statement. Designers @ Mahindra are trying to over do their cars, more so in the recent past. Take all their facelifts for the matter, the already busy KUV100 got busier design elements in the facelift. The last facelifted XUV500 got worse from the original version. The out going Scorpio was already a design disaster and the facelift joins the list.

Seems like they got bored with cheetas, tanks and beetles and they choose to take inspiration from the Jeep brand. Bang, the idea was born and they put the Jeep like slates on to Scorpio's grill. CTRL+C and CTRL+V is not new to Mahindra and you all know how the Xylo got chopped to give birth to Quanto which when didn't sell much was rechristened Nuvosport with some modifications.

Looking at the variants, I am puzzled to see a 75bhp engine being offered on a 2 ton monster. Who is the targeted segment for the S3 which has no safety equipment nor a powerful motor.

Coming to S5, it doesn't make sense either but atleast has some basic safety.

I simply can't understand their product strategy. Only thing I can make our was that they wanted to price it below 10 lakhs. But would that strategy work for the segment. I hardly can imagine a 75bhp engine pulling a fully loaded Scorpio. Isn't power a fundamental requirement for a people mover?

Last edited by Jude300 : 14th November 2017 at 23:50.
Jude300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 00:30   #100
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs

I fail to understand the logic Mahindra applies while updating a vehicle in their stable. The "so called" new scorpio still has the same weird ergonomics, is super crampy for its size and is going away from its original masculine looks to a el cheapo attire.

I really want to know how does it fair on safety parameters as opposed to the previous model, although my heart knows the answer and so does any sane guy. At the price point it sells, i really feel its a zero VFM proposition and their are many options one can go for.

This comes from a scorpio owner (twice from year 2005-2008) which was way roomier and had better ergonomics and made sense at the price it was bought at that time.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 05:39   #101
Senior - BHPian

Are people willing to pay 16+ lacs for this in 2017? May be Mahindra has done its homework and therefore this car looks like this. There seems to be a strong chunk of customers who love overdone bling and this contraption may look beautiful to them. All thats remaining is to further highlight the design by adding a chrome package
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 05:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

So saying its got an updated engine is not enough now a days, nothing rocks my boat like a "6th generation turbocharger and 9.1 ABS"!
That said, it is a little too old school for my tastes. Rain gutter channels in an SUV costing almost 20 million Indian rupees sold in 2017! The size of the dashboard compared to the outside dimensions is still hilariously comical and it doesn't look like its better build either and still has too much bling and too many tasteless styling elements. Someone really needs to tell Mahindra designers that less is often more.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 06:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
That said, it is a little too old school for my tastes. Rain gutter channels in an SUV costing almost 20 million Indian rupees sold in 2017!
It's 2 million INR actually!

Old wine in weirder bottle. Has always been cramped and will continue to be. But has managed to achieve a 'certain' cult status owing to movies and hence will still get buyers. In the end, Mahindra still manages to go laughing to the bank.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 13:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

The facelift does not look bad to me at all. It does freshen things up a bit.

I was a huge Scorpio fan, but now I have to agree that the vehicle does look dated now. It needs an all new body and not just minor nips and tucks.

That can give M&M a chance to address it's shortcomings - ride, space, ergonomics, NVH and safety.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 13:42   #105
Senior - BHPian

Despite what lot of us might think on how "primitive" the Scorpio is, it is doing very well for itself in the sales chart. Hence M&M will see limited value in bringing in dramatic changes as yet. Having said which, they have done absolutely well to deliver what the market wants - which is -

1. a more modern dash layout
2. decent safety equipment
3. good comfort features
4. excellent city driveability
5. probably more consistent A.S.S.

All the above have been executed much better than Tata has done for the Safari ( probably the only competitor for the Scorpio )

With the upcoming Innova rivaling MUV from M&M, I get a sense, they would then build the next gen Scorpio on that platform as a monocoque SUV than continuing any further with the ladder frame approach ( which I feel - 5 years down the line will not find favor with most urban car buyers ). Monocoque will also give the flexibility to bring alternate drive trains ( pure electric, hybrid, petrol etc ).

Lets wait and watch. Until then, this platform will continue to be flogged.

Last edited by narayan : 15th November 2017 at 13:47.
narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks