Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 15:13   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Are people willing to pay 16+ lacs for this in 2017? May be Mahindra has done its homework and therefore this car looks like this. There seems to be a strong chunk of customers who love overdone bling and this contraption may look beautiful to them. All thats remaining is to further highlight the design by adding a chrome package
The top end S11, is just about a 1 lakh lesser than the the lowest spec diesel Compass. I am an old school fan of the Jeeps and the Scorpio (9th year in the running with no issues in the last 5 years).

Somehow M&M has managed to incorporate the bling and chrome which was earlier limited to the accessories both official and after market to the product itself which makes it too shiny for taste. I was waiting for this to be launched and now again the thoughts go back to the jeep which is definitely much more sober looking and refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
From the neat simple classy look of the original Scorpio to this wired quirky design! Mahindra designers have lost the plot.
As an owner of the 2008 VLX I completely agree, they brought in the Mighty Muscular version which made it meeker than the original neat design to a spate of cheap blingy chromed versions

Last edited by m_upreti : 15th November 2017 at 15:17.
Old 15th November 2017, 16:43   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are people willing to pay 16+ lacs for this in 2017? May be Mahindra has done its homework and therefore this car looks like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Despite what lot of us might think on how "primitive" the Scorpio is, it is doing very well for itself in the sales chart. Hence M&M will see limited value in bringing in dramatic changes as yet.
+1. They have managed to keep it relevant through these many years only because of such 'facelifts'. The Safari on the other end, thanks to TML's lethargic approach is all but forgotten.

The shape itself has remained the same since its debut, and the side profile is practically unchanged! Imagine the profits on that die - fully depreciated and now they get 12+lakhs for minimal inputs. Electronics are getting cheap - so M&M doesn't mind throwing in a plethora of sensors/gadgets to keep everyone busy.

Let's see how long we will keep seeing this rolling out of their factory. 15.5 years and counting, as of today.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 18:19   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
From the neat simple classy look of the original Scorpio to this wired quirky design! Mahindra designers have lost the plot.
Every bit a monstrosity this is. Why on earth Mahindra design team chooses to mess up when there are so many SUVs with simple neat lines and classy sober looks around? Compass is a great example.

Every model of Mahindra is sheer overdose on design. Simply overdone. Does Mr. Anand Mahindra ever gets to review these prior to release? Or at least see one from the distance? Or at least notices the criticism in the forums and media?

Or do they at Mahindra think Indians do not like sober looks? I am unable to understand what goes in their minds.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 18:31   #109
BHPian

I lost faith in Mahindra designers when i spotted this on the roads.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-160116.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2017 at 07:57. Reason: Correcting oversized image
Torqy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 19:10   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I lost faith in Mahindra designers when i spotted this on the roads.
Agree. They could have made it a "Mini Duster" by removing all the major quirks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-160116.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-160116_1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th November 2017 at 19:15.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:25   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Exterior & interior video of the S11 variant, courtesy Autobics channel on Youtube.

RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 02:26   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Are people willing to pay 16+ lacs for this in 2017?
The Scorpio has always been a value for money (in relative terms) car for its segment. but with the new prices, it is no more an easy choice.

The S11 variant's price is just <20,000 shy of Innova GX prices. Though the Innova breaks the 15L barrier and thus gets more expensive due to the higher road tax on 15L+ band in most states, the price difference would be still <1L.

The Scorpio S11 may have some more fancy features than the Innova GX, but by spending 1L more one can buy an I-N-N-O-V-A. And a stereo is the only significant feature missing in the Toyota.

The only attraction now in the Scorpio (for owners registering their cars in company name) is the availability of 2nd row bench seats in the 7 seat layout. 7 Seat Innovas come with 2+2+3 seating so the 5th passenger has to take the last row. 8 Seat variants are difficult to get registered as private vehicles if the owner is not an individual.

As robust and reliable a vehicle it is, the current prices push the Scorpio out of the comfort zone of many prospective buyers.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 11:16   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Even after all these improvements, I feel Scorpio as a brand is now looked down upon amongst the vast majority of urbanites in Tier 1 cities.

I can recall only one person who bought a Scorpio in the last 5 years amongst ALL my friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Even that fellow was freely laughed at both in his face and behind his back.

Mind you, it will be a raging hit everywhere else!

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th November 2017 at 11:35. Reason: Typo
Old 16th November 2017, 11:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Looks like some Toyota design engineers have been hired by Mahindra. I mean how can anyone approve this? Making nice looking SUV might be difficult. But making decent looking one is not. And it requires extra effort to design something this outrageous.
Old 16th November 2017, 13:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

I can recall only one person who bought a Scorpio in the last 5 years amongst ALL my friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Even that fellow was freely laughed at both in his face and behind his back.
Yes I know. We take so much pride in laughing at Indian products or people buying Indian products. I see all the negative comments only in respect of Tata / Mahindra cars. Premium cars may break down, roofs may leak, transmission may fail but no problem. It's a premium car after all.
pgsagar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 13:52   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

My post was specific. Apart from the stellar engine, the Scorpio is not relevant in Tier 1 India any more. There is no USP at all.
Old 16th November 2017, 15:17   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Even after all these improvements, I feel Scorpio as a brand is now looked down upon amongst the vast majority of urbanites in Tier 1 cities.

Mind you, it will be a raging hit everywhere else!
I am sure many people in Tier 1 cities will find Scorpio relevant to their needs/choice. If you laugh/make fun of other people's choices it speaks more about you then thier choice.
JediKnight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:44   #118
A M
BHPian

Actually the Scorpio has very less competition this side of 20 Lakhs. A cousin owns one for the past 7-8 years and close to 1,90,000 KMs, and is looking for a replacement. Has tried XUV and the Compass but is not satisfied with Compass' compact size and says the seating position in both XUV and Compass is not as commanding as in the Scorpio. He is not too keen on the Hexa for some reason I don't understand. So is settling down for the 140 bhp Scorpio.

Last edited by A M : 16th November 2017 at 15:51.
A M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My post was specific. Apart from the stellar engine, the Scorpio is not relevant in Tier 1 India any more. There is no USP at all.
The USP is Ladder-frame, 4wd with Low-range. When some of us utilise our Scorpios the way they should be, many of us are from Tier 1 India, other people draw their jaws in disbeleif, and getting that reaction out is a priceless feeling.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 21:28   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like I've touched a raw nerve here. Anyway, each to their own.

I leave this thread permanently with a last NCAP video: https://indianautosblog.com/2016/05/...sh-test-232081

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th November 2017 at 21:29. Reason: Formatting
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks