Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:44   #376
BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Hi All

I was wondering on how to switch on the Adaptive Frontlight System in 1.8 L&K Octavia. I live in Delhi and do not see much difference in light geometry while driving. Also, have to manually switch on high beams when I want a longer throw. Should the AFS not turn on high beams and adjust the geometry automatically? Am i missing something?
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:30   #377
Senior - BHPian

Dear Anuj, please go through the manual once. Any car manual details the usage of the features and you should find everything there.

AFS doesn't have any switch, you just leave the headlights in Auto and forget about it. Octavia doesn't have auto high beam assistant so you will have to manually turn on the high beams. AFS will bend the lights as per steering inputs at speeds up to 40 kph. Same goes for cornering fog lights. You'll notice this only in pitch dark situations, because on well lit roads you may not be able to tell the difference. The spread of the lights stays wide till up to 40 kph, and narrows down a little bit as the speed increases till about 90 kph. It tightens up for farther luminance at EU motorway speeds i.e. >120 kph and that's the max adjustability it offers. Honestly they're not Matrix LEDs like on the Audi so never expect so much

I tend to keep the light in Manual mode with high beam because I barely cross 100 kph at night on the highways and that offers a much better illumination of the road ahead. There are tons of videos on youtube to educate further.
Old 7th March 2019, 19:00   #378
BHPian

I have booked a Skoda Octavia at Vinayak, Mahadevapura, Bangalore last week. Looking at this thread and other reviews my choice of the Octavia model is a minority i.e., 2L TDI MT Style!! During the course of this booking journey, checked out and negotiated with both Vinayak and TAFE, finally deciding to go ahead with Vinayak. Customer experience has been good with both dealerships. Even the Skoda customer care and response to queries have been prompt. Delivery time is 5-6 weeks with a promise of a faster actual turnaround time! Fingers crossed on this!
The Single factor for me to chose Skoda is experience with my present VW Vento mainly the understated looks/Design, build quality and no VW option to upgrade to!
3 criteria to finalise on the Octavia model are:
1. Old fashioned attraction to MT which I am unable to get over. Add to it the unavailability of TSI MT!
2. Better mileage and savings on a long term. Most suitable upgrade from a 1.6 TDI as per my opinion.
3. Last but not the least "Budget". The Superb TSI MT was a serious contender but the cost overruling it :-(
Would love to hear feedback on this decision and any answers I can provide to prospective Octavia owners!
Santosh.Kat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 22:53   #379
BHPian

@Santhosh.Kat, what's the on-road price offered? Did they offer any discounts? Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 8th March 2019 at 23:11. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 8th March 2019, 23:40   #380
NH6

@Santosh.Kat
I too am considering Style TDi MT after 6 years of Vento HL 1.6TDi.

AT is tempting. Still unsure of DSG despite 6 years warranty. I liked L&K 1.8TSi. Final decision tilted to MT reading Dq200 issues and Sunroof rattles.

Please let know the discounts offered and availed. Thanks.

Last edited by NH6 : 8th March 2019 at 23:55.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:47   #381
BHPian

Love the car! It’s easily the top pick of the segment. But when you hear the 3 magical letters, the whole world comes crashing down The 1.8 TSi DSG is seriously nuts!
But my pick, of course, will be a certain 227 bhp petrol. In Race Red please.
Old 15th March 2019, 23:43   #382
BHPian

@simplysaj @NH6 ORP is 27L and discount around 50k. But yet to receive the VIN. It's been 2+ weeks post booking now. Reading in the newspapers that TCS has been removed effective Feb'19. But the road tax has increased and also some new tax in Bangalore. Will know the exact price only at time of delivery. I have also opted for 4 years SMP and B2B insurance so that's a additional 70k
Old 20th March 2019, 03:46   #383
BHPian

Hello everyone, just booked the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K for my wife. Some takeaways from the various cars we test drove in this process :

Elantra : Seemed like an able city sedan but the lack of ISOFIX seats instantly made us reject the car. The Creta and Verna both get this, so it just seems like an arbitrary decision by them.

City / Verna : wanted more space in the car.

Creta : Top end Automatic variant only gets 2 airbags but manual gets 6 ? what nonsense.

I don't understand what logic, if any - is used when car manufacturers decide which trim gets what features.
Old 20th March 2019, 06:52   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviationshark View Post
Hello everyone, just booked the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K for my wife. Some takeaways from the various cars we test drove in this process :

Elantra : Seemed like an able city sedan but the lack of ISOFIX seats instantly made us reject the car. The Creta and Verna both get this, so it just seems like an arbitrary decision by them.

City / Verna : wanted more space in the car.

Creta : Top end Automatic variant only gets 2 airbags but manual gets 6 ? what nonsense.

I don't understand what logic, if any - is used when car manufacturers decide which trim gets what features.
Did you consider new Honda Civic ? Although it is not as powerful as Octavia, peace of mind is where it trumps the Skoda.

It has everything you have asked for. And is also cheaper then Octavia (3 lakhs).
Old 20th March 2019, 10:51   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Did you consider new Honda Civic ? Although it is not as powerful as Octavia, peace of mind is where it trumps the Skoda.

It has everything you have asked for. And is also cheaper then Octavia (3 lakhs).
Yes I did but getting a dated engine, combined with the fact that the city has a bigger boot than the civic and the civic’s lack of rear seat comfort (all of us are over 6 feet) made it a weak contender.
Aviationshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 17:37   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviationshark View Post

Well, firstly I congratulate you on choosing a great car. Its a very sensibly made car, if you ask me.

Coming to the trim logic, I think that buyers like you who first look at what you want/need in a car as a choice before the cost factor are scant in this country. Almost everyone else is only comparing costs between trims first before looking at other things. So as a result the manufacturers design the trims accordingly.

If course it's stupid and a nonsensical way of doing things but all they are concerned about is to sell more and being "market leaders" in the bargain. If there are 6 airbags on the top end Auto it would shoot up the price higher than a cheaper competitor, so....

Enjoy your Skoda. Happy times ahead :thumbup:
Old 20th March 2019, 17:40   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Well, firstly I congratulate you on choosing a great car. Its a very sensibly made car, if you ask me.

Coming to the trim logic, I think that buyers like you who first look at what you want/need in a car as a choice before the cost factor are scant in this country. Almost everyone else is only comparing costs between trims first before looking at other things. So as a result the manufacturers design the trims accordingly.

If course it's stupid and a nonsensical way of doing things but all they are concerned about is to sell more and being "market leaders" in the bargain. If there are 6 airbags on the top end Auto it would shoot up the price higher than a cheaper competitor, so....

Enjoy your Skoda. Happy times ahead :thumbup:
Thank you for your kind words. I agree about the car, it appealed to me with it's performance and the wife found it appealing with the virtual cockpit and seat comfort.

I am hopeful for a day, not too far into the future, when manufacturers will let us choose and customise cars to our preference. I would have happily paid additional amounts to avoid the beige interior. I understand they do it to give the illusion of more space in the interior but it's horrible to maintain, especially with dogs in the house.
Old 20th March 2019, 20:09   #388
BHPian

Skoda has re-introduced the cappucino beige colour in the octavia, which was available earlier only in the pre-facelift model. This colour replaces the silver.
Attaching a few pictures sent to me from the SA.
Another detail which went unnoticed with the latest revision of the model by providing (virtual cockpit) is the addition of an 8-way electronically adjustable passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails
A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-whatsapp-image-20190320-7.55.53-pm.jpeg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-whatsapp-image-20190320-7.55.55-pm.jpeg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-whatsapp-image-20190320-7.55.57-pm.jpeg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-whatsapp-image-20190320-7.55.58-pm.jpeg  

Vinay23 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 09:45   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Skoda has re-introduced the cappucino beige colour in the octavia, which was available earlier only in the pre-facelift model. This colour replaces the silver.
Attaching a few pictures sent to me from the SA.
Another detail which went unnoticed with the latest revision of the model by providing (virtual cockpit) is the addition of an 8-way electronically adjustable passenger seat.
Wow. The colour looks great.

That's one thing with Skoda. You have a constant change. Not like other cars where the features change only once in 2 or 3 years. So you always know your new car has something additional than the car already on the road for 6 months . 8 way adjustable passenger seat is a good addition.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 13:16   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree :-)

I feel that until the technicians physically open up the container and tally the contents, Skoda India has minimal idea of the specs of the vehicles inside.

Not a great fan personally of the C. Beige or the Nardo Grey but like the constant change. For example, I was sure no facelift Octy came in Rio Red like my 2016 Octy. But saw one last month!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks