Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 22:33   #331
BHPian

Re: A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post

The sound system is strictly okay, and not worth all the fuss they make at the dealership.
Congrats StevieG and welcome to the family. On the sound part, try going to Settings in Media, and then to Sound Menu. Over there, you'll see an option for Bluetooth Input and AUX Input Sound Levels. From what I understand, this is kept as Low by default. Change the same to high, and you'll see a significant difference in the sound output.
krishnadevjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:33   #332
BHPian

Friends,
I am happy to share I finally got the delivery of my Octavia Style 1.8 TSI Quartz Grey on Feb 4th

Post-booking/Pre-delivery experience:
-------------------------------------------
1. Like some of you, it was pathetic and the thing that most annoyed me was Skoda's communication (lack of ). After booking my Car on Oct 4th, I was quite patient for first 2 months and would call the Sale's guys on a weekly basis ( Vinayak Cars).
2. By December things got worse with no signs of delivery and no concrete updates. So I decided to take the matter to their higher ups and started making calls , writing strongly to Skoda customer care. After all this from Mid-Jan I started seeing some movement !
3. Again, there were arguments on price rise and I did not agree to pay the 2% hike and my line of argument was the delay has been totally from Skoda side. We finally agreed on a mid-path here and I paid 20K extra.
4. When the Car came to K.R. Puram, they did inform me and I went to inspect the car in their Yard. It was mostly external PD and checked for scratches etc and I took the VIN number and checked that it was Dec-2017 manufactured vehicle.

Delivery
-----------
Delivery formalities happened on Sunday Feb 4th. Everything went smooth here and did a thorough PD and got a dump of all features from Sales executive. I did get standard accessories like carpets, mud flaps, Car cover etc.

Driving experience
----------------------

1. It has been 5 days now since I took the delivery and I am loving it!
2. The car is super silent and extremely powerful. A big leap from my Honda City and am getting adjusted to both Automatic and big power jump
3. The Gear switches are very fast and I saw D7 reached at around 65-70 kms/h
4. Music system is good ( 8 speakers in this version ), with a bit of tweaking on settings you can adjust it to very good output levels.
5. I can't say I have found the best driving position yet, compared to my Honda City, so trying different options.
6. The Sensors are a bit annoying in Bangalore traffic, especially in peak hours, I have'nt turned it off though and want to keep it for sometime.
7. No AUX input option in my car. Apparently this and the Air purifier option is new from 2018.
8. Got FASTTag account at the time of delivery itself. I have also paid the Skoda 4 year maintenance charges, yet to get confirmation.
9. Any of you done any 3M treatment ? please advice what is an essential thing to try on.

Few Pics
------------
Attached Thumbnails
A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-img_20180204_120250594_hdr.jpg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-point-blur_feb092018_104529.jpg  

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-point-blur_feb092018_105815.jpg  

srikrishna717 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 18:57   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 Octavia heading to the Geneva Motor show with Digital Instrument Panel from Karoq.

Quote:
Skoda’s version of the Audi virtual cockpit and Volkswagen Active Info Display is listed in the Czech configurator for the Octavia, priced at 8,900 CZK (€350). Given these circumstances, it’s more than obvious that Skoda will officially debut this feature at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show
A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-2018skodaoctaviagetsdigitalinstrumentpanelfromthekaroq123437_1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 22:20   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Great! Expecting this to trickle down slowly to India to the highest Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq variants.
Old 12th February 2018, 22:34   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great! Expecting this to trickle down slowly to India to the highest Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq variants.
Eh, VW might keep this an Audi specific feature in India just to distinguish Audi's premium-ness over Skoda and VW variants. Although retrofits of the "Virtual Cockpit" in the Kodiaq/Tiguan are already happening in India.
Old 26th February 2018, 16:56   #336
BHPian

Hi All,

Have been contemplating between Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K and Corolla Altis 1.8 VL AT. Although the Octavia is way ahead of the Altis in every department but the infamous DSG is somehow a mental barrier in the decision making process. Any inputs on the current scenario of the Skoda cars in this respect?
Old 3rd March 2018, 07:15   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Congrats StevieG and welcome to the family. On the sound part, try going to Settings in Media, and then to Sound Menu. Over there, you'll see an option for Bluetooth Input and AUX Input Sound Levels. From what I understand, this is kept as Low by default. Change the same to high, and you'll see a significant difference in the sound output.
Thank you sir, that changes things
Now the audio sounds much better, but is still overhyped for the sound quality. The tweeters in the front doors are spectacular though, and aid sound separation quite well.

On another note, I just completed 1k km today, and had a 6 AM airport run. So like any sane person might, I tried out the S mode on the DSG, and it was SCARY. I don't feel as comfortable pushing this car as I did with my Civic, whose steering feedback levels were something else.. However, the acceleration on the Octavia will put a smile on one's face. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this engine is very very refined, and makes the power delivery feel effortless. This is a car that can go very fast, but wants you to drive in a mode sedate manner.. And I'm on board with that.

For people that don't use CarPlay (all of us I presume, given the lack of navigation) or Android Auto, and have phones that support Qi charging, I highly recommend getting a wireless charging mount. I purchased one for $20 and it makes my life easier everyday.

You can get one here for a decent price: https://www.fasttech.com/search?qi%20car%20mount

I also got myself a Michelin 12v tyre inflator, which I suppose is strictly optional, but does help with the regular upkeep of the car.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what engine oil to purchase please? I know the manual sleeve mentions Castrol Edge, but that brand seems to have a lot of variants, which one does team bhp recommend?
Old 13th March 2018, 22:28   #338
BHPian

Hi guys I'm looking to either put 3M or VKool on my car. Can anyone give any suggestions or advice on the same thanks.
Old 13th March 2018, 23:59   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I just completed 1k km today,

can anyone tell me what engine oil to purchase please? I know the manual sleeve mentions Castrol Edge, but that brand seems to have a lot of variants, which one does team bhp recommend?
Congrats on your new wonderful ride!

As per your oil query, you have just completed a thousand kilometers, any reason why you're thinking about oils so soon? You have still 14k kms more to go. Why not enjoy the ride?
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:14   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
Hi All,

Have been contemplating between Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K and Corolla Altis 1.8 VL AT. Although the Octavia is way ahead of the Altis in every department but the infamous DSG is somehow a mental barrier in the decision making process. Any inputs on the current scenario of the Skoda cars in this respect?
This is dated so you may have made a decision. That said, I went through the same agonizing. Finally, after checking with at least 15 people, have booked the L&K 1.8 TSI. The DSG issue was prominent for me and I grilled everyone at Skoda about it as well. Finally got my doubts assuaged enough to buy it. Core for me was the TD. After that, there was no way I’d buy the Altis or Elantra.

Not sure which dealer you’re talking to but all dealers are also offering a 4-year service package that covers all scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance including consumables and wear and tear items apart from the regular stuff on the 40k package. Ask about it. Price is 90-100k depending on dealer.

Meet the SMs and take detailed views before deciding. If you’re on a budget that limits you looking higher, the Octavia is the Best Buy out there as a car.

PS: I have a Corolla which I’m replacing with this. Was in no doubt that I didn’t want the Altis.
imidnightmare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 09:14   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Did you try the Skoda OneApp? I just used it. Connect your car using apple carplay and start the app.
Trying to get this to work on Android but Android Auto takes over every time. Any ideas for a workaround?
Old 16th April 2018, 21:29   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Trying to get this to work on Android but Android Auto takes over every time. Any ideas for a workaround?
For Skoda Oneapp, need not connect on the USB. You can switch on the Mobile hotspot on the mobile and then switch on the mobile/wifi hotspot in the vehicle. Then the connection gets established between the vehicle and the app and data transmission starts. Try this and confirm if it works. Else will post with step by step pictures.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:34   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
For Skoda Oneapp, need not connect on the USB. You can switch on the Mobile hotspot on the mobile and then switch on the mobile/wifi hotspot in the vehicle. Then the connection gets established between the vehicle and the app and data transmission starts. Try this and confirm if it works. Else will post with step by step pictures.
I have tried to connect the Oneapp using mirror link with the USB cable and it did not work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ by the way.
Can you please provide steps as you mentioned?
Old 17th April 2018, 10:40   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
I have tried to connect the Oneapp using mirror link with the USB cable and it did not work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ by the way.
Can you please provide steps as you mentioned?
I use a Note 8. I had the mobile hot spot switched on, on the mobile. Then followed the below steps

Note : This is as per Skoda Octavia TDI Style Plus 2.0 MY17

1. Go to the Menu and setting on the head unit. Select system settings - > Mobile device data transfer and select the option (tick it) and select "Allow" against Use Apps to operate

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225428.jpg

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225435.jpg

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225440.jpg

2. Go back to settings and scroll down. You will be able to see an option WLAN. Select it. Then need to scan and your mobile hot spot will be visible. Select it and enter your password (of mobile hot spot) and it should then connect.

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225458.jpg

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225516.jpg

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-20180416_225524.jpg

3. Once you are able to see the connection, in the head unit you should be able to see the WiFi symbol.

A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking-screenshot_20180417103311_file-manager-hd.jpg

After this, just switch off the car completely and restart again to check if the WLAN connection is getting connected automatically. Then open Skoda One App. It should show as connected. Settings in Skoda One app are easy to configure.
Karvel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 17:11   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

@Karvel,

I have a Octavia MY2016 without the WLAN option :-(

HAS to be USB connection for me at least.

Most Viewed