Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 00:26   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
JEEP Compass doing 2000 numbers for the second month in a row is appreciable. But I wonder whose share of business is the Compass eating into?

Incase you didn't notice. Endeavour's sales are down since last couple of months, Tucson numbers have fallen to double digits, Tiguan failed to impress and overpriced Kodiaq is almost dead on arrival with just 84 sold. Some D segment cars also loosing their turf I guess. That sums up the Compass sales pretty much IMHO.
rajamuneeb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 02:43   #32
BHPian

Re: September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Couple of addons from my end :
1. i was surprised by the swift numbers. Isnt the new one around the corner? I am wondering who are these people buying this outgoing model.
2. Ertiga is slowing loosing its shine. It's based on the outgoing Swift design. Anyone knows if there will be a facelift of Ertiga soon?
Old 10th October 2017, 06:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
1. i was surprised by the swift numbers. Isnt the new one around the corner? I am wondering who are these people buying this outgoing model.
2. Ertiga is slowing loosing its shine. It's based on the outgoing Swift design. Anyone knows if there will be a facelift of Ertiga soon?
I guess there are some people like me who detest the new Swift body language with it's Etios style tail lamps and Jaguar F style nose. No wonder the new Swift isn't selling much in Japan or Europe. The current Swift in comparison still has the feel good factor of being true to its heritage.

Ertiga will be replaced by a newer bigger and more powerful version by 2018 end. I believe proto versions are already undergoing testing.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 08:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I guess there are some people like me who detest the new Swift body language with it's Etios style tail lamps and Jaguar F style nose. No wonder the new Swift isn't selling much in Japan or Europe. The current Swift in comparison still has the feel good factor of being true to its heritage.

Ertiga will be replaced by a newer bigger and more powerful version by 2018 end. I believe proto versions are already undergoing testing.

Yes. I think the new Ertiga will be launched only after Maruti has their in house 1.5 litre diesel ready. This probably will be the first to get it.

Agree with you on the Swift design. The current generation looks way better than what's arriving.

Nice to see Verna back to where it belongs.

The Dzire continues to shock.

Kwid is now close to 10k numbers. That is really impressive.

Tucson,Tiguan and Kodiaq seems like a wasted opportunity with those premium price tags. If all of them were 3 lakhs cheaper they would have better sales numbers. Maybe the manufacturers do not want to sell them in high numbers. Using them as Halo products for their respective brands.

The D segment sedan space is almost dead. It is probably under 700 units. With the Corolla contributing to half that numbers.

This should lead to a lot more Suv launches. Hyundai small suv, Renegade and probably the Koraq.

Thanks Aditya.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Removing funny apostrophe caused by our iOS app
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 09:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of people just don't care enough. 2 people in my team (of 35) bought Swift in the last 15 days. They upgraded from Alto & A-star respectively and picked Swift. No comparison, nothing. People like Swift's legacy and they want to buy when they want to, refusing to wait or be disturbed by a facelift.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 10:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
A lot of people just don't care enough. 2 people in my team (of 35) bought Swift in the last 15 days. They upgraded from Alto & A-star respectively and picked Swift. No comparison, nothing. People like Swift's legacy and they want to buy when they want to, refusing to wait or be disturbed by a facelift.
Exactly, one of my neighbor upgraded to Swift from Alto and he never did any comparison nor considered any other car. There are lots of people out there who buy this way.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 10:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

The well overpriced Tiguan manages same sales figures as that of the cheapest Car in the World (Tata Nano).
The same Tata, works hard, burns midnight oil and gets good success with the Tiago, Tigor and Hexa.
If it 'invests' the same effort and injects some 'flair' into the Nano now, it could bring in extremely good numbers! Why shy away from putting in the effort then?

On a side note, lets welcome the new sales king of C-Segment sedans. The new Verna.
(Okay, we need to wait for 2-3 months to see if can sustain).

Last edited by abhishek46 : 10th October 2017 at 10:36.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 10:42   #38
BHPian

I will reserve my opinion regarding 2 cars at this stage - Verna and WR-V. In both cases, the OEMs are trying to reduce backlogs from initial booking frenzy. Another 3 months from now for WR-V and 6 months from now for Verna will be the right time to pass judgement on this cars.

Dzire numbers are insane for the second month running. It was not entirely unexpected though.
feluda86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 10:43   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
If they move Ertiga to the new light weight platform, chances are there for it being a bit more wider, but if it grows in length, it should be launched as a new model and not as a replacement of the current version. One of the main reasons of Ertiga's popularity in cities is its ability to carry 7 people even when it is of the size of a big hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Dzire numbers are shocking. But where are those cars ?
Clearly, a question of density of the car on road. A car selling 5000 units per month for 5 years (total on road units: 3 lakhs) will be more "visible" on roads than a car selling 30000 selling for 6 months (total on road units: 1.8 lakhs).

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th October 2017 at 10:47.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 10:54   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A huge round of applause to the entire auto industry for crossing the 3 lakh mark . Congratulations to all.

The Compass selling over 2,000 units for the second month in a row is encouraging. Remember the saying "there's no problem that a good SUV cannot solve"? 2,000 Compass' is equal to the gross turnover from 6,000 - 7,000 midsize hatchbacks, something FCA could only dream about. With a single product, FCA might have exceeded the total revenues of the likes of VW India (or matched it).

Also note that the profit margins on 20 lakh cars are fat, unlike the wafer-thin margins on 6 lakh hatchbacks. I'm guessing FCA easily has a 15% margin on the Compass, compared to the industry average of 5 - 6% on mass market hatchbacks.

The upcoming petrol & automatic variants will only expand the reach of this sexy SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Indian Passenger Car market explained in one picture. Talk about lion's share
Witty, intelligent, smart! Thanks for the post. It's stuff like this that makes Team-BHP so enjoyable.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 11:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
MSIL has always been street-smart with the way they've re-positioned some of their existing models. They launched the i-Create for Swift on August 29th, an exciting add-on for those shopping for the car in V trims (VDi/VXi). There's also the Alto Utsav, a decal (read sticker job) on the Alto 800 that appeals to many first timers. It is these clever tricks that help drive numbers.

I attribute this surge in Swift numbers solely to i-Create, and the positive MoM figure (+4.4% corresponding to an increase in 562 units) points to this trend.

Last edited by sleepyhead148 : 10th October 2017 at 12:02. Reason: Addition of the MoM percentage and difference in units numbers at the end of last line.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:24   #42
BHPian

It is interesting! On one hand, we have MSIL Hyundai etc selling massive loads of cars that are appealing to the buyer in many ways - price, design, features, peace of mind. Then we have Hyundai, Honda, Toyota etc selling premium cars also by good volumes, appealing for design, price, reliability, premium appeal etc. We also have FCA selling one heck of a vehicle at the right 'appeal' points.

And then we have VW and Skoda: Unappealing cars: Features, Engine/Transmission technology/Reliability etc at price points that are weird (Tiguan, Kodiaq, Passat now). Like neither here or there - upper end of the spectrum occupied by Merc/BMW/Audi. Obviously their balance sheets will be nothing to talk about.

Don't get this skewed business logic, I just don't.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2017 at 16:39. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this
RegularIndian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th October 2017, 13:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Compass selling over 2,000 units for the second month in a row is encouraging.
I was expecting better than this (~2800) given they already have more than 10K orders and had announced increase in production from 100 to 150 units/day some time back.
Old 10th October 2017, 13:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I was expecting better than this (~2800) given they already have more than 10K orders and had announced increase in production from 100 to 150 units/day some time back.
Ranjangaon is a common factory for FCA and Tata Motors. The Compass shares its factory floor with the Linea, Abarth Punto and Nexon. So the increase in production should be viewed with a pinch of salt.

The average figures will only be clear by the end of this year. Additionally, considering the nearly 15% profit margin that the Compass has, FCA bean counters will actual be happy with the current numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm guessing FCA easily has a 15% margin on the Compass, compared to the industry average of 5 - 6% on mass market hatchbacks.

Last edited by sleepyhead148 : 10th October 2017 at 14:20. Reason: Tiago and Tigor deleted from first line based on inputs by Lateesh. Apologies for the error.
Old 10th October 2017, 14:14   #45
BANNED

Maruti may see a slower growth in the near future, because of the following reasons:
  • They don't have entirely new launches in the short term.
  • I think the new one like Ignis is below their expectation.
  • The refreshed S-Cross and Celerio / Celerio X are not offering something that can make them a better seller than current ones.
  • The refreshed Ciaz can't gather anything more than current 6K per month, as Verna is there as a new car.
  • I don't think the DZire, Baleno and Brezza current sales numbers are maintainable because Maruti is now trying to clear the backlogs using the new plant, and once it is cleared, numbers will come down. Once the cars are available off-the-shelf, there may come some additional orders because of the ready availability, but it won't be entirely sufficient to retain the current numbers, IMO.
  • Nexon will give some fight to their B+, C cars.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed