Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 12:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2017 at 13:28.
Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:18   #6
BHPian

Cool! Good stuff mods!

Nexon's 2772 is a good number to kick-off the first ever batch out! Tiago is killing it out there with its 8300 odd dispatches! Tata Motors is flying high these days.

Good to see Verna pulling in the 6000+ numbers. Hyundai's big 4 are pulling good weight out there - Creta, Verna and the i10s and the i20s!

More slurp to come in the next month with Diwali dispatch numbers!!
cingsman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the report,

Some Observations to note:

-Maruti Suzuki Dzire at 34,000+ copies is now the new benchmark. Dzire is bound to shock many in coming months, with 40k+and counting bookings, with additional shift in production watch out for shocking numbers! As indicated this now includes the Dzire now opened to tour operators.
Vitara Brezza, Baleno are the other cars to the high pitch sales contribution, drop in Celerio is the effect of its facelift launch.

-Hyundai gets back the C sedan crown beating Honda’s City by a whisker. Too early to say its leadership position and will crystallize in the coming months. Its hatchback i10, Elite and its ‘SUV’ have contributed to its September growth.

- Mahinda does good numbers in Sept, except for Xylo/Nuvosport/Verito. XUVis now the king of SUV’s

- Tata looks good at the growing numbers of Tiago. Too early to verdict the Nexon. Tigor and Zest has mediocre success, infact Tigor could be termed as a dud seeing the volumes of its peers. Hexa too is at the bottom of the segment. Nexon numbers seem low as they had sufficient time for building stock.

- Honda hold on to its City volumes and WRV seems to have given Honda a boost they needed. Jazz is seeing a poor sales when compared to Maruti and Hyundai’s offerings.

- Good for Fiat/ Jeep as Compass garners its volumes. But Linea and Punto doing pathetic volumes bring the question- will FIAT have only brand JEEP, going forward?

- 146 units of the Tiguan seem to be okay considering its pricing. VW will be happy if they can sustain at this number.

- Interesting to see Skoda’s Octavia numbers. Its RS is a smash hit with all its allotment for India being sold out. Not much of hopes on Kodiaq due to its pricing and brand Skoda.

- Ford is awaiting its Ecosport facelift, can it cross the 5k mark hence? Over 56% of Ford’s sales in Sep’17 was contributed by Ecosport . Can this number be sustained with Honda’s WR-V, Tata’s Nexon yet to peak in sales?

Segment leaders,

1. Entry level hatch,
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-hatch.jpg

2. Premium Hatch,
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-pre-hat.jpg

3. Compact Sedan,
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-compac-sed.jpg

4. Sedan,
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-seda.jpg

5. SUV (Pseudo)
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-csuv.jpg

6.MUV
September 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-muv.jpg

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2017 at 13:58.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:47   #8
BHPian

Verna is back to No. 1 spot in the Executive sedan segment clocking 6054 units in Sep'17. The City @ 6010 units and Ciaz @ 5603 units trail behind.
Seems Verna's volumes are incremental since rest of the sedans and CSUV volumes remain consistent.

The mini Elantra looks along with the Sun roof, Ventilated seats and the 6 speed AT are doing the tricks .

Honda should be worried since the price difference, for instance, between the ZX CVT @ 15.54 lacs and the 1.6 SX Option AT @ 14.79 lacs is 75K. For 75K less, one gets a bigger engine, better gearbox (read as zero rubber band effect), ventilated seats and fresh looks. The pricing is despite Verna losing out the excise benefit due to the 1.6 engine. Shows how much 'premium' Honda charges.

The Tiguan trumps the Tucson - 120 Vs 86. The AWD might help Tuscon to an extent.

Tiago + Tigor = 10086 units , time for TATA to pull the plugs on Nano, Indica, Vista, Indigo, Manza and Bolt. Together they have managed only 645 units, a sheer waste of management bandwidth and production capacity.

JEEP consistent with the 2K mark, hope the dealers don't take the success to their heads and ruin a game changing product with lackluster dealership experience.

34305 Dzires , you must be kidding!!! growth over 30K volumes (Aug'17) is mind blowing.

VW moves 39 passats???

Chevrolet R-I-P...

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 9th October 2017 at 13:48.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:55   #9
BHPian

34K+ deliveries in a month for Dzire! I used to wonder the profit Toyota was making based on high deliveries and margins on Fortuner and Innova and now I think MSIL has one entry in the club. Dzire numbers are higher than the total deliveries of third ranking Mahindra. It will indeed be a happy diwali for MSIL.
Verna numbers are encouraging and competition is good. Hope this trend continues.
autobahnjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dzire Dzire Everywhere and not a Dzire to Buy
34 K Dzires. Its practically raining Dzires since the last two months. The car was a super hit. MSIL did a fabulous job of repackaging it. No denial that it is the best looking CS launched in India till date. Waiting time is already nudging 4 months for some variants.

Verna: What a turnaround. From a paltry 600 pieces to 6000 pieces in 2 months. The facelift is really encouraging. City may have difficult days ahead and would look forward to various discounts in the coming months. Ciaz continues its steady sales. The facelift may tilt it in its favour again. The C space is surely hotting up and the fight is between three very capable cars. May the best WIN!!

Bolero
Didnt expect the Bolero to sell the way it did. The rural space is going through a downturn. Yet, to its favour, The Bolero is just nudging the Top 10. Can it sustain is a bigger question.

Baleno:
Reaching spaces where no premium hatches have ever thought. The 17K consistent mark and a healthy 4-5K sales difference over its nearest rival Elite i20 is sure indication of its success and likeability.

Tiago & Tigor
Tata is back. 8K from a particular car is something they havent seen in a long long time.
Yet, the change in ideologies have worked. Nexon and the Hexa are also on the anvil of making it big.

The Fringe Players
Skoda needs a resurrection. Its was once a good aspirational brand. Now, its all goes down the drain, or rather its service centres. They need to pull up or exit.

Fiat: Jeep success is a long over due one. They should have succeeded in the Palio. Or Punto or Linea. Yet, they failed. Service woes, wrong tieups, lackluster sales team all to blame. Jeep now gives a platform. Pls. consolidate and move forward.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2017 at 16:48. Reason: typo
arnabchak is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:09   #11
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the report.

My 2 Cents

1) Has Hyundai breached 50K sales before? If not, its a first. At 41-42K they were running at 85-90% production. So I assume they are now at almost 100% production.
2) Toyota maintaining a steady 2k units for Fortuner is unprecedented. Is there any vehicle above 30L which has even sold this consistently? I see at least 1/2 new registered vehicles almost every other day.
3) Tiguan has surprised VW it seems. Mumbai and Hyderabad sales are the top two. Also heard that dispatch has already been reduced to accomodate Kodiaq production and will be normalised by early next year.
4) 2 Steps forward 1 Step back seems to be the motto for Tata. TIGOR is a surprise dud and it shows clearly how market is heavily leaning towards Petrol is sub 4m cars(Except CSUV). Even common public seems to be put off by mediocre 3-pot engine.
5) TATA needs to give a respectable send off to Indigo/Indica rather than continue this painful death.
6) Nissan-Renault-Datsun together has put up close to 15-16K units. Wonder why they planned it in such a way that partnership is eating into each others pie.
7) Sudden spurt in Scorpio dispatches. Wonder if something is cooking there. With adequate monsoon, Mahindra will be hopeful for Bolero dispatches to be consistent.
8) One look at C1 Segment graph will give you the complete picture of Dzire domination. In the last one year, only once has another vehicle crossed 5K mark in that segment-Xcent. On the other hand Dzire dispatches came below 10K only during facelift launch. Dzire is undoubtedly the Bahubali of cars
9) Pretty damn good show by Verna but lets not get carried away. These are initial dispatches. With almost 1000 odd dealerships, they would have sent at least 3-4 cars per showroom for test drives. That itself is around 4K. The booking numbers put up by Hyundai are indeed good news and I hope MSIL is going to up it's game with the first Nexa iteration of Ciaz next year. Good times for us!

Last edited by RaghuVis : 9th October 2017 at 14:14. Reason: Point Added
RaghuVis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:22   #12
BHPian

A few observations from my end:
  1. 2772 is a really good number for the Nexon to debut at. It should go upwards in the next 3-4 months, going by the sentiment it has generated in the market. Tiago, at 8300, is also good news. Good days for TML ahead.
  2. Verna takes top spot from the City by just 40 units. That's a photo-finish right there.This C2 segment is going to be interesting to watch as there is no clear winner among these two and the Ciaz. The Verna does appear to be the more bang-for-buck product, especially with the engine options.
  3. Figo twins see a significant jump MoM from August. This could be due to the festive sales. They do need the Ecosport facelift to work for them.
  4. Bolero, at 8600 units, remains Mahindra's bread and butter product. The Power+ variant seems to have worked in their favour. It'll be interesting to see how things shape up for M&M with the TUV and KUV getting facelifts.
  5. Compass seems to be settling at the 2k mark, a number that'll make a lot of people at FCA happy. Especially considering something as amazing as the Abarth Punto just sold 1 unit in September.
  6. Grand i10 is really benefiting from the numerous dealer-level discounts that are offered. Free insurance, exchange benefit and an attractive cash discount (not to mention a corporate one along with this), seems to keep the numbers steady. Mind you, a majority of these i10s on the road are the Sportz and Sportz(O) variants (a fact that I corroborated with my SA from a local dealership - Of the 70 odd units sold last month (by her and another colleague), 50 were Sportz and Sportz(O) having automatics). Hyundai is riding on its success and the relative success of i20, Creta and the Verna.
  7. MSIL numbers are staggering. The sheer volumes of the Dzire, Baleno and Alto are a testament to brand loyalty. With Diwali around the corner, and facelifts for Celerio and S-Cross launched, it could be anyone's guess as to how much the bean counters at Manesar would be laughing come October. I'm interested to see how the new S-Cross would be received by in-market buyers considering that the 1.6 MJD is now history and the 1.3 is a SHVS engine.
  8. Also interesting would be the October numbers for Renault and Skoda considering the fracas that they've created with the C(K)aptur and Rapid Black Edition respectively. It would be amazing if they post even half decent numbers compared to September. An unmitigated PR disaster at best, that could now snowball into a potential legal tussle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As indicated this now includes the Dzire now opened to tour operators.
Further from point 7 and what volkman sir has mentioned above, is there a way to know the percentage of Tour S among the 34k Dzires that were sold? Because, despite these staggering numbers, I don't see many facelifted Dzires or Tour S in the city. Additionally, it'd also make for a great metric considering the Tour S avatar is a pre-facelift Swift Dzire. I can echo similar statements for the Hyundai Primes, which are basically pre-facelift Grand i10s and Xcents.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Automobile sales has reached new heights, crossed the 3 lacs mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
With almost 1000 odd dealerships, they would have sent at least 3-4 cars per showroom for test drives. That itself is around 4K.
Hyundai dispatched 4779 units of Verna in Aug'17 which would have accounted for test drive and display vehicles. This month shipment is purely customer cars.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had recently visited a MASS, the service center was flooded with Brezza's and new Dzire's. No wonder they are the hot favorites. Brezza has turned out to be the new swift.

Apparently, noticed a shift in the buying trend. Brezza, Ertiga and Innova are the new rural favorites, while the city slickers are still holding on to the Wagon R's, Celerio's and Alto's.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:39   #15
BHPian

Staggering numbers by MSIL indeed, and Dzire is specific. But for some reason, being in bangalore, I have only spotted 3-4 Dzires till now. Where are these cars on roads?

I am sure it is a success story and the numbers could be coming from all places but Bangalore, but could there be even a small chance of channel stuffing here for the festive season. Highly unlikely though, but just don't see that many of them on roads.

Great story for TML too with Tiago touching 8K. The Horizon Next campaign seems to be creating a positive impression with the people for sure.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed