Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax

As per the report, it seemed to be a 'unanimous agreement' between the states and the center.

In theory, it's all logic that vehicles over two years old should be exempted from any re-taxation when moved from a state to another. That's the key takeaway from the reports. It really makes the movement free across states.

In practice, people would game it in the pre-owned car market. How cheap it would be to get a car from Dehradun to Pune or Bangalore?

However, the pros are vastly larger compared to the cons.

But the big question is - will it see the light of the day?
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
Maybe your idea can be built upon. Perhaps, it can be in the following manner
  • all vehicles can take upto a one week pass to travel without any additional fee. Longer than that will be chargeable.
Though there is merit in what you have said, any charges like your mentioned for private vehicles will build too many layers, give more scope for corruption, increase logistics, confusion. Private vehicles cant be charged, so any system will have to as simple as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
We are overthinking this. If the on road price of a vehicle in every state were the same (or almost the same), people would not have any incentive to go to other states and buy vehicle from there.
The deeper problem is the structure of the tax system - specifically, the road tax system and the MV rules. Some states want more revenue and have charged higher tax. They wont want to let of this.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

To be fair to the states, it is logical to have tax paid at the place where you drive the car, its just the process that is so cumbersome and end users feel the brunt of it as THEY are harassed by cops and not the state RTOs

I have posted the problem that I am facing while transferring the car from KA to MH in another thread. Not sure after so many years, why can't car owner's have a proper web portal to pay taxes and get certificates online just like we have it now for Tax payment and returns. We need another Nandan Nilekani for this.

The number of people buying cars in different states and getting transferred to other states is going to increase as more and more job opportunities open up across India. So, the best approach I feel is to have a proper user account for each car, wherein one can see the taxes paid and pay tax in new state through online portal and initiate transfer at the click of a button. That way owners can drive the car till the transfer is complete and they wont have to take the car to the original state for inspection to get a NOC, this activity will be done at any RTO/ Police Station and they can look up tax paid status before giving a clearance for transfer. This can also eliminate the need to re-register the car if current address is linked. Aadhar can be used for this.
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

First our states and powers that be need to unite for the common man for common good. ( Yes, I know this sounds laughable)

And it looks as if that might be a tough task. Know somebody who was moseying around the summit proceedings and the person says, that already rumbles of discontent have emanated from Kerala and Pondicherry.

While the idea on the whole is laudable, it's the political will to implement that idea, rising above petty local level issues and seeing the big picture that will truly make it happen.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:12   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

A central authority to register vehicles, provide licensing services, accept the road tax (which should strictly go into improving the infrastructure) etc is the need of the hour. State Police can be given access to this central database to identify and record offences against a vehicle/driver. Should not matter where the vehicle is from. Further the vehicle numbering should be changed to something random instead of being state specific - would also reduce the violence or road rage incidents we see against "outstation" cars.

Put the onus of keeping the address/email/phone numbers updated in the system on the user. Design a self service portal and require them to enter a random code sent to their address/email/phone every 365 days or so. If they don't do within a set time - cancel the registration/license.

But alas, there has to be an intent first for solving a problem. I guess these things will remain a pipe dream for private car owners - a group which doesn't have any lobbying powers in the higher echelons.
Old 24th May 2018, 15:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

Cars to become cheaper in Mumbai but dearer in Delhi

Not sure if this is posted earlier.

Buying a vehicle in states like Delhi could soon become expensive as transport ministry has suggested the highest tax of 12 percent as road tax under “one nation-one tax” proposal.Centre has pitched three tax brackets corresponding to price of the vehicle to be levied as road tax. Vehicles below Rs 10 lakh will fall under 8 percent tax bracket, those between Rs 10 to Rs 20 lakh will attract 10 percent tax and those buying car worth more than Rs 20 lakh will pay tax of 12 percent.

More details - https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...i-2575035.html
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 16:16   #52
Team-BHP Support

Any official updates on this @SILVERWOOD about this news? Hope this get's passed soon, already postponed for 2 sessions of the Parliament.
Old 24th May 2018, 22:10   #53
BHPian

Budget session of the Parliament was concluded in April I think. Monsoon session will start June-July till September.

Let's hope our dear leaders can pass some bills in between their sloganeering.

Cars are going to get cheaper in Bangalore. I might delay my decision to buy a new car until this law gets passed. There seems to be a broad consensus, so hopefully it gets passed.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:49   #54
BHPian

Yesterday, I had received this SMS from Toyota. Today, I called up the number.

The executive confirmed about the increase of Registration Tax in Haryana due to One Nation One Tax from July!

To check further, I went into the specifics and asked about the impact on Yaris. As usual with the Car Sales executives, he didn't know any further. He just said that the tax will be 15%. So, I asked a few more questions and tried to make sense from whatever he could tell.

To cut a long story:
1) Tax would be around 10-12% on C2 sedans. 15% is likely to be the top slab.
2) They are going to use VAAHAN portal for centralized tax collection all over the country. There was no further information provided about how this is going to work, or, to whom the tax will go.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax-1529820676686.jpg  

Last edited by atnyia : 24th June 2018 at 12:04. Reason: Posting from App proved disastrous. Post fixed on PC.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 14:52   #55
BHPian

Clipping from a local news paper Mathrubhumi. which reads as follows

Despite the resistance from Kerala state, Central government is going ahead with the one nation one road tax.

MORTH has called a meeting of transport ministers & transport secretaries on July 21 to take the final decision on One nation One road tax and will be effective from September 1 2018.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax-img20180713wa0034.jpg  

Drive Without Borders : One Nation, One Road Tax-img20180713wa0033.jpg  

LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 15:06   #56
BHPian

What happens to existing vehicles which, lets says, while registered in state x, is currently in state y? After this legislation is passed, would it be enough to just change the registration of existing vehicles which have moved state and not worry about the road tax paid to state x?
Old 13th July 2018, 19:44   #57
BHPian

I had gone to Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore to check the Verna today. I asked the sales person whether he has any idea about impending changes to the road tax rates. He said it is going to go up by a huge amount. I didn't discuss any further on this matter with him.

Probably this information is coming from the announcement made in the recent budget speech by the CM, who mentioned a proposed hike of almost 50% on "private service vehicles". I have provided a link to the news article which reported this. Now, I thought private motor vehicles and private service vehicles are different; I hope my understanding is correct. Would like to hear from others.

So either the sales guy is confused by the announcement or he's just trying to scare potential buyers into hurrying up the purchase. If not, then the "Uniform Road Tax" structure and that being proposed by the Karnataka Govt. are contradictory!
Old 13th July 2018, 20:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I had gone to Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore to check the Verna today. I asked the sales person whether he has any idea about impending changes to the road tax rates. He said it is going to go up by a huge amount. I didn't discuss any further on this matter with him.

Probably this information is coming from the announcement made in the recent budget speech by the CM, who mentioned a proposed hike of almost 50% on "private service vehicles". I have provided a link to the news article which reported this. Now, I thought private motor vehicles and private service vehicles are different; I hope my understanding is correct. Would like to hear from others.

So either the sales guy is confused by the announcement or he's just trying to scare potential buyers into hurrying up the purchase. If not, then the "Uniform Road Tax" structure and that being proposed by the Karnataka Govt. are contradictory!
You are right.
Private service vehicles include cabs and buses used by Companies for Employee Transportation.
The tax on them which is collected annually is increased by 50%.
There are no changes in the tax rates for private cars.

The sales person is providing incorrect information to pressure you into making a quick decision to book the car.

If the one nation one tax comes into effect. Karnataka will see a reduction in prices as we have one of the highest road tax rates in the country.

Last edited by speedmiester : 13th July 2018 at 20:24.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 12:14   #59
BANNED

I am all for it. Then the Road tax has to be centralized and like the GST we have a borderless India. You can move anywhere and transfer the car to a local address.
Old 14th July 2018, 13:53   #60
BHPian

Can someone enlighten me the tax applicable on used cars with this rule in force, say if you are buying it Maharashtra and changing the registration to Tamil Nadu or wherever. What kind of amount would be payable? Will the re registration be easier, I wonder, in this scenario.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks