Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 22:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford testing a Figo crossover? EDIT: Now revealed as Freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I tried searching on this and the ACI review mentioned smaller sized pistons so my guess is that it's not just stroke but different bore and hence different block. Though this seems counter intuitive as reducing the stroke would be the easier option.
Probably a case of me jumping the gun and inferring the obvious.

The 1.2 is claimed to be derivative of the 1.5 in all reports, and ACI claims it's the same block. Did they possibly mean 'shorter' pistons?

Quote:
Built in Ford’s state-of-the-art engine plant in Sanand, the 1.2 Dragon, like the 1.5-litre unit, is also an all-aluminium, three-cylinder, twin-cam one and shares the same block. Cubic capacity is scaled down to 1,194cc by using smaller pistons. However, unlike the 1.5-litre unit, the 1.2-litre engine doesn’t get a balancer shaft that helps smoothen out the natural vibrations of a three-cylinder engine.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2018 at 22:43.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs

Looks better than some of the other cross attempts by fellow manufacturers; though strictly a (slightly) aggressive looking hatchback and not a Pseudo SUV. A S version of this (similar to the Figo S 1.5) with all the safety pack added in should be brilliant.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:26   #18
BHPian

This is just a raised Figo.What were Ford even thinking when they started to design this?

They should not take shortcuts in design,rather think out of the box and come up with funky designs like Tata,Kia and others.

With Kia coming full throttle,Ford will need to think hard.
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A S version of this (similar to the Figo S 1.5) with all the safety pack added in should be brilliant.
+1.

Pull out the roof rails, and you get a sporty looking hatchback. With the competent engine range - should have to go to match the show as well. I am liking the design more than the normal Figo hatch. The new wider grill, subtle black cladding all around - tends to give it a more planted stance than the hatchback, with the only real sorepoint being the roof rails. Hope it comes in RED.

As for India's first CUV? I dont know whom they are trying to fool! This is one of the least differentiated designs among all other such earlier attempts at hatch to SUV conversion, so they should just avoid such cheesy taglines.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd February 2018 at 08:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Probably a case of me jumping the gun and inferring the obvious.

The 1.2 is claimed to be derivative of the 1.5 in all reports, and ACI claims it's the same block. Did they possibly mean 'shorter' pistons?
Damn confusing ain't it. Same sentence has "shares same block" and "smaller pistons". Contradicting themselves.

I think you are probably right it's the same block but pistons wont be shorter but taller to reduce the displacement / stroke. The con rod will be longer and piston should be different.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Ford claims to have stiffened the suspension compared to the Figo.
If they have maintained the same spring tension of the Sport variant, it should be alright.

Seems a bit of a grown up Figo. I do like the looks.

The real gain with this variant over the others is the new Touchscreen entertainment system and the slight redesign to the dashboard.

Might just get away with the 1.2l Dragon due to the light body and chassis.

It is good that they included some form of roll over mitigation.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

If the revised Figo gets the same changes (minus the pseudo-CUV cosmetics), it would be a very compelling option in its segment.

Tweaked grill & suspension, new alloys, ICE and a new petrol motor. It's pretty much a new car by most other manufacturers' standards.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

In my view the styling especially on the front looks more mature and balanced compared to standard Figo. Infact this should be a facelift for figo also.

Interiors look the same except for the new touchscreen which kind off seems plonked in and we need to see more pics, to understand how well its integrated or looks like a after thought. One area were Ford has gradually lost the plot is with instrument cluster. First they came up with Figo/Aspire with its plane jane old design, then worst disaster with ecosport and now carrying the same design in freestyle as well. Look at hyundai in comparison and these look from 90s.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:32   #24
BHPian

The Car looks good and the gunmetal alloys also look attractive. If priced sensibly(which Ford did with the new Figo), I think that this car will cater to those who like the Figo but are worried about the ground clearance.

One thing for sure is that this car definitely looks like a 'hatchback on stilts' and not like a compact SUV by any angle.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Am surprised this is slated for a Q2 launch!! Why showcase it so early if not launching soon! Again, not revealing the interiors? What's Ford up to!!

But am happy they have been trying meaningful new stuff rather than sticker jobs. And even better considering they will offer 6 airbags on at least the top variant. How I wish they also had a top variant for the S variant!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
96ps and 120 nm from a 1.2, 3 pot naturally aspirated engine seems pretty stressed. Am I wrong here?
I have fair reason to believe Ford's UK engine development team has upped the game to Japanese standards with their new Dragon series. The revert to a torque converter & proposed AMT on the 1.2 is to ensure costs stay low.

Stuff like 90 degree placement of Ignition coils, integrated intake manifold was first seen on Baleno/other Hondas, but Ford have managed to keep the rawness of a cast block engine while being aluminium IMO. The Hondas & Suzuki's revel in high revs, but suffer from low down torque. These dragon engines have overcome that problem too. Technological improvements with results that matter, atleast when it comes to low down torque
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

Interesting effort but I'm just wondering if offering a Freestyle S from the outset would have been more impactful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
This is just a raised Figo.What were Ford even thinking when they started to design this?

They should not take shortcuts in design,rather think out of the box and come up with funky designs like Tata,Kia and others.

With Kia coming full throttle,Ford will need to think hard.
But that is the exact nature of these "Cross" versions. You look at Cross Polo vs. Polo and Punto vs. Avventura. There's a marginal difference in the engine output (if any) and the height/length (raised).

Our roads and a fascination for "butch"/SUV looking variants have created an entire segment: compact SUVs. If a nominal change (read: a new variant with minimal investment) can lead to additional sales, you can't fault the manufacturer.

This doesn't mean that Ford shouldn't do better with the Figo though.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:07   #28
BHPian

I like this car. Just a major omission is projector headlamps. Why on earth did they skip on those? And as far as purchase decision goes, the petrol engine is key. Performance figures are definitely better than the current crop of 1.2 petrols in market. Hope it is reasonably fuel efficient as well as that is of importance to buyers in this segment.
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear seat of the Freestyle, pic courtesy Akash1886 @ TAI.

The Ford Freestyle. EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 5.09 lakhs-20180131_133651.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Flop on day 1 .. Sorry to say this but i cant see anything which makes it sell here in India. Car looks like Figo only and there are hardly any differences from outside. Figo is already not doing great here and its almost a flop car now when you see numbers of cars like Baleno, Swift, I10 Grand etc.

It can give fight to cars like Honda Brio, Fiat Punto
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks