Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:12   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
In the case of the Kia, we are talking about 3 engine options and 4 transmission options. That adds up to a total of 12 (3x4). Moreover, it would also be a supply chain nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
I dont think there will be 12 (3 x 4) Engine - transmission combos. As far I understand there will be 3 engine options which will be availabe in manual as well as respctive trasition for each engine (1.5 petrol - iVT, 1.5 diesel- 6AT, and 1.4 GTDI-7DCT) so all together 6 options. Correct me if I am wrong.
+1. There are only 6 options available as correctly pointed out my member rapid_fire. Each engine is available with a MT and a respective AT transmission ( specific for each engine).

I can only think of 2 reasons for this. First that they have tried to bring the best gear box and engine combination to our market and hence mated different gearboxes and engine options.

Second is that they are bullish and very serious about our market. Infact they have gone on record in saying that they are too late in arriving here and need to play catch up now. Hence coming out all guns blazing translates into a lot of confidence in the Brand from a customers perspective.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:45   #377
BHPian

In Bangalore, Advaith Kia coming up near Lalbagh and then JSP with their 2 branches in Marathalli and Hosur Rd. There is also news of Metro KIA near Lingarajpuram Flyover.

Spoke with folks @Advaith. They're expecting the car for display by 10th July and booking to start 15th onwards.
Full launch expected around mid Sept.
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:19   #378
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGopkrsna View Post
I sat thinking why would someone chose to replace a Japanese car with a Korean one, that too a new entrant. And then the search started to understand the KIA engine quality and issues to see if it is going to be reliable and after all will it be a wise choice to choose KIA. Then I googled KIA engine reliability, nothing assuring so far, if not anything else I only happen to see many engine related issues and recalls by them for the same in North America particularly.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ki...res-2019-01-16
Reliability is one thing which am also keen to know about Kia as a brand? Can some of the Kia owners across globe comment on this. I can live without flashy colors or chrome lining. But fuss free experience to an extent is always preffered for which the mechanical is very important.
Will the relationship with Hyundai help Kia or are they just 2 competing brands?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd June 2019 at 10:27. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:31   #379
BHPian

Saw the first look or rather, going by Autocar standards, the review on TV yesterday night.

Definite positive are the rare right combination of models at the get go. Kia hasn't been stingy.

One aspect where Indian automotive will again go against the tide is pricing. Whilst everywhere Kia is priced lower than Hyundai, it will be the other way here. To me the car looked a little over-styled but that's purely my opinion.
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:23   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGopkrsna View Post
Now with all that being said, I would like to open up the topic of discussion on KIA engine quality and reliability. Since this car is never tried and tested in India, how do we decide on investing (the same question goes for MG Hector too)? How would one choose to invest in an engine that is never tried before? Is KIA going to use the Hyundai engines? If so, are Hyundai petrol reliable (My lookout is for petrol) I never had much positive feedback on Hyundai petrol engines from friends. Please let me know.
I'm replying to you only because of close to 15 years of driving Hyundai petrols across 3 different engines - 1.1, 1.4 and 2.0. One thing is common between them - refinement, refinement to a level where one'd think that the engine is not running at all when at idle and upto low revs of 2-2.5k. Refinement that I certainly found on par, if not superior to the Japanese competition. I've driven a Honda City, we've owned a Maruti when I was a kid, I've sat in Toyotas and looked at the competition when deciding on a new purchase - the consensus with the folks invariably comes back to Hyundai. Their quality levels and refinement mean that the only upgrade left to do is into luxury cars, if not within their portfolio. No Japanese car felt like that by a mile.

Of course this being a forum for automobile discussions, we cannot read just one point of view and consider it as gospel truth. There are far more Japanese automobile fans who stick to the Honda/Toyota/Suzuki ideology and drive their cars for decades. The Koreans are about 2 decades younger to the automobile manufacturing than the Japanese but its a known fact that they're the fastest growing in history.. almost thrice the pace of growth than the competition given its late beginnings.

I cannot speak for MG, but I'd say that KIA are here to compete aggressively not only with Toyota or Suzuki but most with Hyundai themselves (the dealers aggressively undercut prices with that of Hyundai in U.S). The engines are mostly shared in terms of specifications and layout (most engines have a dual H/KIA logo on the plastic plate).

As for long term reliability, I again cannot claim to know it too well since the most I've driven a car is 60+k kms before exchange, but there are ownership reports of Hyundai engines going into 2L kms with ease and the max being around 4-5L or so and still running (first gen Elantra). The normal Indian usage pattern is no more than 10-12k kms per annum, with that usage the engines will easily last 15 years (given the 15 yr scrapping policy). In terms of fuel efficiency, yes, they are not fuel efficient.. part of it is due to the heavier body-shells and thicker sheet metal but for sure they aren't fuel efficient with the lows going to about 8 and highs at 12-13 with highway around 15-16. Comparable Hondas and Toyotas may give 10-15% more easily depending on driver. ALSO, and this is one thing to keep in mind - Hyundais deliver torque very early, mashing the throttle at high gear is guaranteed to make them labor and sweat.. gentle throttle inputs deliver much better results. Japanese tune their engines to deliver torque very late which makes them rev friendly but also slightly irritating in city conditions. I prefer instant torque any day.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:46   #381
BHPian

Autocar interviews KIA motors global CEO - Han Woo Park

Excerpts from the video:
- The next two KIA models are going to be SUVs/MUV
- A new launch every 6-9 months after Seltos
- Customer satisfaction and brand building the first priorities since they're very late to the marlet
- Invested in the diesel technology with BSVI compliant engines
- No apparent plans of launching hatchbacks yet
- The Anantapur facility is capable of manufacturing hybrids/ev's
- EVs will be introduced when the market is ready for it (infrastructure and regulations)
- Hopes to sell 30,000 Seltos in 2019 (September to December)

P.S: Not a great interview by Hormazd. Could've asked about the warranties, after sales support, dealer choices, parts/technology sharing with Hyundai. Positioning vis-a-vis Hyundai, Seltos vs next gen Creta. KIA seems to be in it for the long run, in a better position to crack the market than MG, IMO

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd June 2019 at 12:36.
Mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:09   #382

Kia definitely has managed to grab a mind share. All the moves by the company to a large extent has been spot on. Just the final piece in the puzzle - PRICE.

As a bangalorean, i request for another piece of vital information : Ground Clearance. The scientific ways in which the speed mounts sorry road humps are laid along with the prevalence of road craters here makes ground clearance a deal breaker.
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:01   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
far I understand there will be 3 engine options which will be availabe in manual as well as respctive trasition for each engine (1.5 petrol - iVT, 1.5 diesel- 6AT, and 1.4 GTDI-7DCT) so all together 6 options
As per various reports coming in by the Automotive Media, the 1.4 GDi will only be available in an Automatic transmission. The 1.5L engines would get Manual trims in both the diesel & petrol avatars.
Old 22nd June 2019, 14:14   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehead View Post
Kia definitely has managed to grab a mind share. All the moves by the company to a large extent has been spot on. Just the final piece in the puzzle - PRICE.

As a bangalorean, i request for another piece of vital information : Ground Clearance. The scientific ways in which the speed mounts sorry road humps are laid along with the prevalence of road craters here makes ground clearance a deal breaker.

Someone please give me the good news that its more than 200 mm.
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:14   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Autocar interviews KIA motors global CEO - Han Woo Park
30000 care in just remaining 4 months of 2019 in tough market conditions for Rs.15 lacs car, with relatively new brand is going to be an impossible task.

Harrier's monthly sale is average 2000 nos and it has certainly more market buzz due to Range Rover platform and other end Kicks sales for month of May is just 79 pieces.

God Bless Kia,if they have such a business acumen

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2019 at 17:58. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:24   #386
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
It makes ZERO sense to launch this car in India. This is a much fancier Creta, with more gizmos.
But then, whats wrong with the creta in the first place? It looks pretty modern and decent. And it sells. A LOT.
And what is Kia? Its an all new brand, that has zero appeal or fan following in India.
It doesnt have the history, it doesnt have the pedigree.
Whats Kia's USP? Gizmos? If I wanted those, I'd get a Hector.
In India, Kia = ?????
Fancier Creta? Have you driven it to know that it's just like Creta?
Q) What's wrong with Creta?
A) Have you seen a top end Creta Automatic with 6 airbags?
Creta sells a lot. So what, nobody should introduce cars in that segment?
Kia has zero brand appeal!
As if Hyundai had big brand appeal when it launched!!! What's the sales of brands with appeal, VAG, Ford, GM?
Kia doesn't have pedigree?
Really? Where do you come from!
Apple had no pedigree when it launched in 70's
Amazon had no pedigree when it launched
Ford had no pedigree when it launched
Not even a single brand is born with pedigree, that's what one builds!
Kia's USP will be proper top end automatics in Diesel and Petrol!
You buy Hector or whatever makes you happy, don't deride Kia for putting in a proper effort .

Another funny thing I notice is when manufacturers don't give proper top end automatics, everyone cries foul. Now when Kia gives three automatics, then also many questions their decision. Really! What's wrong with you guys? Either you appreciate manufacturers for giving top end automatics in Diesel and Petrol versions or criticize for not doing that.

You can't criticize Kia for giving all possible options, how they manage their production line is their headache, as long as you guys are not asked to help them out with that. None of us are losing money or time if Kia is having too many combinations of Seltos to produce. On the other hand you will have fewer excuses to say your desired combination isn't available!
The Rationalist is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:57   #387
BHPian

KIA isn’t getting most things right, as far as I am concerned. Their adverts are building their presence very well, and the general perception among the people that I have interacted with is that Kia is a premium brand, and to be honest, it shows in the products. The Kia products seem more premium than the Hyundai counterparts and they look absolutely drool worthy. As far as engine and transmission options are concerned, I would say that they could limit one of the models (options) to purely made-to-order basis based on the forecast that they very well could make with the resources and the data that they can get, and that they most probably have got already. The product seems absolutely bang on for the aspirstional kinds and I don’t think the urban buyer would be put off by the pricing, which I am sure would be above Creta (would be pleasantly surprised if it’s not). The 1.4 gdi has good reviews but the 1.0 gdi has insane levels of turbo lag and I hope the 1.4 is better in that regard. I think this car will be a success.
Old 22nd June 2019, 17:07   #388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Fancier Creta? Have you driven it to know that it's just like Creta?
Fact check time.
A) This will have the same engines as the next-gen Creta.
B) This will be based on the same platform as the next gen Creta
C) There are three engines on offer. Two 1.5 (Petrol and Diesel) and a Turbo Petrol 1.4
D) Both the 1.5 make less power than the 1.6 in the Creta. Talk about taking a step back.

Quote:
Q) What's wrong with Creta?
A) Have you seen a top end Creta Automatic with 6 airbags?
No. And want to know why? Because its just too expensive. The SX Automatic petrol costs 13.75 Delhi ex-showroom.
Add a 6 airbag option and its 15 lakh ex-showroom. Who, in their right mind would spend that much. On a creta.

Quote:
Creta sells a lot. So what, nobody should introduce cars in that segment?
People should. Not a new player, owned by the market leader (Hyundai owns Kia). What does Hyundai gain? NOTHING.

Quote:
Kia has zero brand appeal!
As if Hyundai had big brand appeal when it launched!!! What's the sales of brands with appeal, VAG, Ford, GM?
Hyundai launched in 1998. When there was no competition. And they launched with a Santro, not a 1.8 million beefed hatchback. And their next product was the Accent. Miles ahead of anything comparable.

Quote:
Kia doesn't have pedigree?
Really? Where do you come from!
I come from the realms of realism.

Quote:
Apple had no pedigree when it launched in 70's
Amazon had no pedigree when it launched
Ford had no pedigree when it launched
Not even a single brand is born with pedigree, that's what one builds!
For all these success stories, there are atleast ten thousand that failed.

Quote:
Kia's USP will be proper top end automatics in Diesel and Petrol!
You buy Hector or whatever makes you happy, don't deride Kia for putting in a proper effort .
Thank you for giving me permission. I'll buy a Jeep Compass Longitude Petrol AT. Costs 19 Lakh ex-showroom. Creta with 2 airbags SX costs 13.75. Creta SX(O) would cost 15-ish, and add kia premium (LOL paying a premium for the Kia brand, a brand that is considered cheaper than the Hyundai in EU and USA ) it will atleast be 16 to 16.5 ex-showroom. If you want to pay that much for a 115 BHP kia, please go ahead. I'll skip. Oh, and its(it = jeep compass) a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What is the criteria? Engine displacement? Because the turbocharged + variable valve tech engine of the Compass certainly produces some impressive figures otherwise - 163ps, 250Nm.

To put that into perspective -
  • Creta 1.6 petrol produces 123ps, 154 Nm.
  • Tucson 2.0 petrol produces 155ps, 196Nm.
  • CRV 2.0 petrol produces 154ps, 184Nm
  • Or even the Fortuner 2.7 petrol that develops 166ps, 245Nm.

Woefully inadequate now?

Quote:
You can't criticize Kia for giving all possible options, how they manage their production line is their headache, as long as you guys are not asked to help them out with that. None of us are losing money or time if Kia is having too many combinations of Seltos to produce. On the other hand you will have fewer excuses to say your desired combination isn't available!
I can criticize Kia for positioning the brand the way they have positioned it.
I can criticize Kia for giving it 1.5 Engines, which are less powerful than the ones in the current gen Creta.
I can criticize Hyundai for launching the Kia as a premium brand.

And to those of you who are still reading, well, if you want a 115 BHP SUV for 16-ish lakhs, using 1.5 Litre engines that are less powerful than the current Creta, please go ahead.

To me, the brand positioning makes ZERO SENSE.

Last edited by simeonovitch : 22nd June 2019 at 17:13. Reason: added details for clarity
simeonovitch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 17:21   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1. There are only 6 options available as correctly pointed out my member rapid_fire. Each engine is available with a MT and a respective AT transmission ( specific for each engine).
Thanks for re-emphasizing the point I was making. A member was worried about figuring out which engine to mate with which transmission. I was reassuring him that we need not break our heads on it. Kia will do it for us.

That being said, I am honestly hoping that they do bring in the engines with the announced bhp rating and don't tune it to please the "kitna deti hai" herd.
Old 22nd June 2019, 18:00   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

KIA SELTOS Tvc,

volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks