Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 15:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

If this move was to improve the mileage, then the competition (K12, 1.2Kappa, 1.2 iVtec) has much better, efficient engines with proper 4 cylinders ( of course more powerful than this or even the outgoing 1.2MPI)
As it is the 1.2MPI doesn’t sell much, wonder who will buy this. Time, efforts and money totally wasted by VW.
Old 9th March 2018, 16:24   #17
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Somehow I feel VW strategy is repeat of GM. The engine and car choices are horrible. VW in India might become a Skoda show.
Old 9th March 2018, 16:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very nice way to go for VW.
You slot yourself in the Wagon R Category with a 1.0 lt engine.
If you cant compete(with the Swift and the likes), I digress(and stay a "King Nothing" in a segment below).
Old 9th March 2018, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

So polo now has the smallest and largest displacement engines in it's segment, NA1.0 and explosive 1.8TSI looks more like shooting in the dark than some well thought strategy.
Old 9th March 2018, 17:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Here is Autocar UK's review of the Polo 1.0 MPI:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...10-2017-review

As per above, performance figures are inline with the outgoing car.

Top speed 106mph
0-62mph 14.9sec

But, most importantly, here is the summary:

Quote:
Should I buy one?
There’s not likely to be a huge difference in price – say £550 - between this engine and the turbo version, and even more of an incentive to choose the extra power is the turbo motor’s superior fuel consumption.
A marginal 550 pounds in money, is the difference between 1.0 MPI and 1.0 TSI.
But still, VW chose to bring in the cheapest possible mill.

This is not foolishness, this is suicidal.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 9th March 2018 at 17:22.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 17:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

There isn't a 1.2 NA nor 1.2 TSI in VAG's latest global line up any more. Hopefully the 1.0 NA engine will be followed by the 1.0 TSI, in which case these engines do become contemporary with their global line up. Or maybe I am just being optimistic about VW
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 17:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Thats a very nice way to go for VW.
You slot yourself in the Wagon R Category with a 1.0 lt engine.
If you cant compete(with the Swift and the likes), I digress(and stay a "King Nothing" in a segment below).
To begin with, (keeping the cars aside) the 1.2L 3-cylinder petrol engine from VW is not competent enough to match the Suzuki K10, let alone the K12 series. The mid range punch of the K10 can put few other 1.2L engines (including 4 cylinders) to shame.

But, I still have a tinge of optimism about the new 1.0L from VW. If the engine is lighter compared to 1.2L, then the lack of power could be made up in terms of weight loss, which leaves only the bottom end torque as a grouse.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th March 2018 at 17:50.
Old 9th March 2018, 18:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Damn!!! I thought even if the 1.0 comes it will be the TSI, but 1.0 NA petrol engine pumping only 95NM in a supposedly premium hatch. What would happen to the drive-ability of the heavy car(POLO) now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
... The mid range punch of the K10 can put few other 1.2L engines (including 4 cylinders) to shame.
I drive the K10 in my 2010 Estilo and agreed the mid range is great but the bottom end just sucks. 90NM feels less even for the 860kg light car. With AC running, clearing even mid-sized speed breakers in 2nd gear without stalling is an achievement. Imagine what would happen when u try that in the Polo now with this new engine.

Maruti and Hyundai would be going

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th March 2018 at 18:12.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 18:30   #24
BHPian

Wow! This makes an already power-starved car, now torque-starved!
Bad move!
Old 9th March 2018, 19:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The brochure reads - "The Polo's engine has been crafted carefully with utmost precision, to deliver amazing fuel economy while still giving you every bit of power you deserve!" What an insult to the Indian consumer given that this the is lowest power output in its class. The consumer will show you what you deserve

I recently got my GTI and GT TSI serviced at different VW service centres and it was a sorry sight to see the same old Polo and Vento platform cars all over the place. Felt sorry for the dealership actually. The pride and superiority complex that was once a hallmark of a VW centre, is cleary gone and is now replaced with gloom and drudgery. With decisions like this they will now have find a place to hide their faces!
Santoshbhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 19:17   #26
BHPian

I think it must a move which VW must have been forced into making this shift. I dont think VW offers anywhere else on the globe which makes it even more difficult and nonviable to continue with 1.2 NA engine with the ever dwindling polo numbers in India.
What this does is gives VW space to fight another day and keep the model alive.

What i also see happening is later on the 1.0 ltr TSI coming in(85/109 hp tune) which means maybe the 1.2 GT tsi could be on its way out.
Hemicuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 19:34   #27
BHPian

I am still hopeful for this engine. 2 reasons:

1. The average Indian consumer has the "kitna deti hai" mindset. The FE becomes the prime factor dictating the purchase decision. An improvement in FE may bode well for the market.

2. While the absolute torque figure is reduced from 110N-m to 95N-m, the torque curve is quite flat. While it had an earlier peak of 3750rpm, now the peak ranges from 3000 to 4300 rpm. This should result in a better mid-range performance and better in gear acceleration resulting in lesser gear changes.

3. This 1.0 mill is said to have better NVH characteristics than the outgoing 1.2 one which should result in a more comfortable ride

4. The weight has gone down by 14 kgs which along with the increase in power by 1ps would result in an improved power/weight ratio by about 2%. While its not much, at-least it doesn't move in the negative direction.

Considering the views of the majority of the members here, I seem to be the odd one out , but being an eternal optimist, I'd hope for the best from this move by VW
niteshbids is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, what are those guys smoking ?
I had test driven the 1.2 Petrol back in 2013 and the car felt sluggish loaded with 4 passengers on the flyover of ORR in Bengaluru, though the gear shifts and other mechanicals were spot on, I wonder what is going to happen with even lesser torque. OK, no problem if you fit the car with a smaller engine, but why arent the prices reduced

I think there will be enough space in the engine bay of this Polo to fit another 1.0L engine to give a 2.0l engine, a good assignment for Mechanical engineers
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
To begin with, (keeping the cars aside) the 1.2L 3-cylinder petrol engine from VW is not competent enough to match the Suzuki K10, let alone the K12 series. The mid range punch of the K10 can put few other 1.2L engines (including 4 cylinders) to shame.
Well, that's streching it a bit too far.
The 1.2 MPI has much better poke in bottom and mid-range that the K10, which is arguably more jerky in it's power delivery as well.

Quoting from TBHP official review:

"Net net – is this engine superior to the A-star’s K-series – you bet! Is it a match to the Ritz and Swift 1.2 4-cylinder K-series – no chance. "
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 20:33   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If Volkswagen brings (and 100% sure , it will) the 1.0L MPI engine the NEW Polo will be a dead -on arrival product.

With the feedback it will get with this engine hope VW gives us the 1.0L TSI option with the New Polo.

Can build quality and looks outweigh drive-ability ?

Reviews from UK calls it a 'gutless' engine;

Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price-vw.jpg

Quote:
The S model has a single engine choice, the underpowered 1.0 MPI 60PS three-cylinder petrol
Quote:
The entry level unit is borrowed from the up! city car, a 1.0-litre MPI normally-aspirated three-cylinder engine of either 59bhp or 74bhp. Be warned, though, it feels markedly underpowered, especially the 59bhp example, thanks to just 95Nm of torque at a relatively high 3,000rpm

Quote:
The 1.0 MPI engines take at least 14.3s and as much as 15.5s to drag the Polo from 0-62mph, with top speeds struggling to surpass 100mph

Only hope is VW should launch the next Gen Polo GTS(Sport) in the 150 hP guise.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th March 2018 at 20:47.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks