Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 14:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Well the damage will soon be reflected in the sales and analysis thread for the last quarter.
A friend of mine who was about to buy a Polo last week decided to drop the plan when he got to know about the 1.0L engine being dished out with some cosmetic changes. Instead, he bought the Toyota Liva dual tone petrol.
Old 9th April 2018, 14:18   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Well the damage will soon be reflected in the sales and analysis thread for the last quarter.
Sales of Polo seem to have picked up ( 2053 Vs 1470 units) , but is too early to speculate it being due the power-train change.
Will need to await a couple more months to see the effect of the engine change on sales figures.

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th April 2018 at 14:20.
Old 13th April 2018, 17:56   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Ameo 1.0 Pace launched at Rs 6.10 lakh, 1.2L unit discontinued.

The 1.0-litre motor is a 999cc, three-cylinder unit delivering 76hp at 6,200rpm and 95Nm torque at 3,000-4,300rpm.

The new engine is said to be BS-VI emission norms ready. The new engine is mated to a five-speed manual gearbox, and there is no petrol-automatic configuration on offer.
The Ameo is also available with a 1.5-litre diesel engine with an optional DSG transmission.

Quote:
Volkswagen has also launched the Ameo Pace. Like the Polo Pace, the Ameo Pace is based on the mid-spec Comfortline variant but comes with unique bits like a faux carbon-fibre spoiler, black outside mirrors, alloy wheels and cruise control. The Ameo Pace has been priced at Rs 6.10 lakh (ex-showroom).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th April 2018 at 18:03.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:26   #79
BHPian

Has anyone actually test driven the new Polo? I'm looking for a car for my dad, and the Polo has some crazy discounts right now. He enjoys his Nano, so performance is not that much of an issue. I'd go and take a test drive, but I don't want to be pestered by them for years afterwards. (They're still calling me from back in 2016 when I went for a TD of the Ameo, asking me if I'm still in the market for a car).
Old 16th August 2018, 21:28   #80

We have bought a Polo 1.0 for my better half. She loved the TD. We drove this on the steep slopes of Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. I had to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised by the way VW has tuned the torque in this engine. It is flat and therefore pulled 5 of us with AC up the slope in 3rd gear without much struggle. Our previous 1.0 liter Zen could never do it. As a result, gear changes in city are reduced as it pulls well at low speeds.

I was left scratching my head when we did a 60 km roundtrip after purchase and got a mileage of 19.1 kmpl with onwards journey without AC and return with AC. Very impressive mileage figures.

The low end torque and mileage are what impresses most. In city, it is very easy to drive. It is not a car that I love. The engine bay is mostly vacant and there is zero underbody protection. I need to get a plate installed under the engine.
aquashankar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquashankar View Post
The engine bay is mostly vacant and there is zero underbody protection. I need to get a plate installed under the engine.
Hi, my wife also loved this car. We are going to purchase the car. Have you installed any underbody protection? Please share the images and expenses.
sallubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:48   #82
BHPian

Without any offences to the previous posts and opinions of the members of this forum with regards to the performance of 1.0 polo and the strategy of Volkswagen group, i took a test drive of the swift 1.2L and the polo 1.0L back to back today. And i am excited to say that the new engine of Polo does not lag anywhere in any department. Add to that the build quality of Polo. Was pleasantly surprised and very happy as well. I drove both the cars(swift and polo) on the same stretch and have found that while the swift got unsettled on even the slightest broken road, the polo was very mature. It absorbed all the bumps with ease. The NVH levels were quite less compared to the Swift. Even though the car is heavier than swift by almost 150 kgs (variant to variant), the pickup was almost at par. At the speed of 85 kmph, i had to keep watching the speedometer to believe that i was actually doing 85. The fuel efficiency as per my driving style went upto 14.2 on the short stretch that i drove. Just to add a comparison, the swift also was showing the similar fuel efficiency on the same stretch. Around 3 years back, when i test drove the polo with 1.2 engine, i was disappointed by the performance then but not this time. Also it is a well known fact that the fit and finish of European cars are any day much better than the Japanese products.

You actually have to drive this car to believe it.
su1978 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:09   #83

I have taken test drive for i20, Swift, Polo & Liva in Chennai. Though i20 has the lightest handling but Polo and Liva is quite matured when you are picking up your speed (Though overtaking in Polo needs a proper pre-planning ) but it's quite a pleasure to drive the Polo in traffic due to flat torque and it easily moves in 3rd gear without any hiccups.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th December 2018 at 12:26. Reason: Typos.
sanky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 21:41   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Some Facts:

VW 1.2 MPI
0-100 Kmph - 14.1 seconds
Top Speed - 165 Kmph

VW 1.0 MPI
0-100 Kmph - 14.3 seconds
Top Speed - 174 Kmph

1.0 MPI has wide torque band 95 nm from 3000 rpm till 4300 rpm which wasn't the case with earlier 1.2 MPI.

1.2 MPI torque peaked at 3750 rpm of 110 nm.

Those extra wide rpm will aid over drive ability of car.

Judge a car on basis of overall performance. I think 1.0 MPI will be same as 1.2 MPI if not better from performance numbers.

Thank you so much for this post. Really helped put things in perspective.

So, on paper this is a terrible engine, yet in real-life its almost similar to the engine it replaces. Not sure how much of an issue the lack of torque will be, though.

I'm currently in the market looking for a small, well built, Naturally Aspirated petrol manual hatchback, in either Red (red =/= maroon) or Yellow colour. Rear seat will be un-occupied, so is not a concern.

Which leaves me with Polo 1.0 MPI and the Tiago 1.2.
Any idea on how these two engines compare? I mean the tiago review wasn't exactly kind either, with the reviewers saying they would rather prefer the now discontinued 1.05 RevoTORQ diesel.

Last edited by turbo : 10th October 2020 at 21:52.
Old 11th October 2020, 17:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Any idea on how these two engines compare? I mean the tiago review wasn't exactly kind either, with the reviewers saying they would rather prefer the now discontinued 1.05 RevoTORQ diesel.
Test drive cars over all sorts of roads and for longer duration. You will get your answer.

If I was offered a choice between Tata or VW; my pick will always be VW. As its more driver oriented and feels great to drive.

7 years Extended Warranty offered by VW. Nothing much to worry.
Old 13th October 2020, 14:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Thank you so much for this post. Really helped put things in perspective.

So, on paper this is a terrible engine, yet in real-life its almost similar to the engine it replaces. Not sure how much of an issue the lack of torque will be, though.

I'm currently in the market looking for a small, well built, Naturally Aspirated petrol manual hatchback, in either Red (red =/= maroon) or Yellow colour. Rear seat will be un-occupied, so is not a concern.

Which leaves me with Polo 1.0 MPI and the Tiago 1.2.
I own a Tiago 1.2 Petrol since 2017 and I have driven the VW Polo 1.0 MPI as well. So I think I am in a position to give you a clear answer to your question from my point of view.

If you are planning to choose between Polo 1.0 MPI & Tiago Petrol the Tiago should be your choice. Both cars are 4 star rated when it comes to safety and Tiago is not a flimsy built at all. It is a very strong car, but might not be VW strong but very close. As far as I understand, the VW Polo 1.0 MPI shall be expensive compared to the XZ+ version of the Tiago. But you will be getting a lower variant of Polo in 1.0 MPI whereas XZ+ is the top version of Tiago and it comes with all the latest offerings. Climate control AC, Reverse Parking Camera, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, 15 Inch alloys etc. Also, the*width of Tiago is slightly less compared to VW Polo and that makes it easier to drive around in the city. So as the ground*clearance, probably a bit better with Tiago and nothing substantial though.*

On top of that, TATA is much cheaper to maintain than a VW. Tata cars actual service interval at 15K Kms or 1 year but in the middle, at 7.5k Kms / 6 months you will have a check-up during the warranty period.

The performance of 1.0 MPI Polo might not be as good as Tiago Petrol mainly due to the heavyweight of Polo. (pretty much similar weight for both cars) That could be a problem when accelerating and once it started moving, it shall be fine and will take you from Point A to B without much of driving excitement.

Tiago Petrol engine is not as bad as it was projected. That definitely is not a bad engine. It has enough power for city rides and for occasional highway trips. I had done 1200+ Kms highway trip on the car with a full load and 4 people and it felt adequately powered.

When it comes to mileage figures, Tiago may score better as it will get around 15kmpl in the city and around 20-22 in highways. Well, that purely depends on how you drive.

On seat comfort, I think Polo may offer slightly better support. But I think the new Tiago has a better seat compared to the older ones.

Test drive both and finalise based on your likings.

If I am the one, I will definitely select the Tiago Petrol over Polo 1.0 MPI.

But if you consider the 1.0 TSI, that would be a totally different story.*
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed