Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 20:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If Volkswagen brings (and 100% sure , it will) the 1.0L MPI engine the NEW Polo will be a dead -on arrival product.

With the feedback it will get with this engine hope VW gives us the 1.0L TSI option with the New Polo.

Can build quality and looks outweigh drive-ability ?

Reviews from UK calls it a 'gutless' engine

Only hope is VW should launch the next Gen Polo GTI in the 150 hP guise.

Link

The gutless engine being talked about here is the one having 60 ps peak power and not the 76ps unit being brought here. The reviewer also talks about peak torque rpm value of 3000 as high, which when compared to TSI is completely true, but almost all the competition here has peak torque northwards of 4000 rpm.

The top speed of 100 mph or 160kmph is not too bad considering the gt tsi having a rated top speed of 190kmph. Even 0-62mph figures are not bad. This is not the GT edition we are talking about. I think we should look at the figures in the right perspective.

That said, it would be interesting to compare the torque and power curves of the 2 engines to better compare the real world impact of the changes

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th March 2018 at 12:51. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 20:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched at the same price

Another example of why you need to hire proper market surveyors! Although mileage is a crucial consideration in rural areas, VW is mostly an urban player. And urban buyers look for a balance- terrible back seat space and a lousy engine will put off 75% of buyers considering one in the first place.

On top of that I'm sick of seeing the same old Polo in all the 'new Polo' advertisements! Please VW, move on!
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 21:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
The gutless engine being talked about here is the one having 60 ps peak power and not the 76ps unit being brought here.----
Not true. The 1.0L MPI engine is available in UK in 2 power trims as entry level. In general the entry level trim is seen as under-powered.

Quote:
The S model has a single engine choice, the underpowered 1.0 MPI 60PS three-cylinder petrol. Match (which replaced SE), Match Edition and Beats models are available with that engine in 60PS or 75PS guises

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th March 2018 at 21:07.
Old 9th March 2018, 21:17   #34
BHPian

The article clearly says "The S model has a single engine choice, the underpowered 1.0 MPI 60PS three-cylinder petrol.".

It is the 3 other trims above the S model which have the 75ps option
Old 9th March 2018, 21:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The article clearly says "The S model has a single engine choice, the underpowered 1.0 MPI 60PS three-cylinder petrol.".

--
From the Article,

The entry level unit is borrowed from the up! city car, a 1.0-litre MPI normally-aspirated three-cylinder engine of either 59bhp or 74bhp.
Old 9th March 2018, 21:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just the way VW engine portfolio is positioned. There is a growing environmental consciousness in the West and they like to make a statement with a 1.0L Polo. And we Indians are a little late to the party, just when we started seeing some money to make a statement with a powerful engine, the trend of downsizing is underway I also feel VW scandal has had a deep impact on their future plans. They definitely want to earn some good karma.

If you are a driving enthusiast, grab what's available today. Tomorrow will be more about touch screens and less about machines.

I feel sad for the VW dealers. So much potential, but such hopelessness!

Last edited by androdev : 9th March 2018 at 21:34.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 21:40   #37
BHPian

Peace bro.

We both are exteacting our own interpretations from the article as the author has been mentioning the 2 states of tune in different ways in different sentences. The bottom line is we both would not want VW to go down the GM way and leave us high and dry

Let's hope this strategy works out for the best
Old 10th March 2018, 02:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Are we missing something that VW knows and we do not? I mean there is no obvious reasons to change an already average petrol engine, and with zero benefits in taxation as well. Was there some issue with the older Polo petrol engine, say like compliance to BS norms or even something to do to with emissions( I know its not a diesel) but just trying to understand other possibilities for this uncalled change.
Old 10th March 2018, 03:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen to replace its 1.2-litre petrol engine with 1.0L. EDIT: Launched a...

OMG! As a proud Jetta (running a tune of 175+ bhp) owner, it pains me to see such dimwit products being launched.

You don't need a top Strategy Consulting firm for this level of decision making - just common sense. Let's think of who buys a Polo today? It's certainly not the 'kitna deti hai' junta. So, your product needs even more differentiation, not 'me too' in its DNA.

They should have bought the basic TSI in its 95 bhp guise, and then the GT in its 115bhp one. Stop the NA altogether. VW should know all too well that it's cost structures will never allow its to compete, let alone beat, Maruti at a game it plays so well!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 10th March 2018 at 03:47.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 12:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Was there some issue with the older Polo petrol engine, say like compliance to BS norms or even something to do to with emissions( I know its not a diesel) but just trying to understand other possibilities for this uncalled change.
Getting ready for the new emission norms.

Quote:
The new engine is also lighter by about 18 kilograms and is understood to be BS-VI emission norms-ready.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 13:01   #41
BHPian

This is sad! Polo has been such an iconic car and mostly everyone going ahead for the polo probably ignores its cramped rear legroom, or below mediocre and diesel-like loud petrol engine against the drieveability, solid build, road manners and the charm of a global car. Even I have been aspiring to own a Polo ever since it was launched, looks like Tiago is more VFM now than even Polo when it comes to petrol.

Off topic, but probably I feel they may have plans to do a Ford (more expensive Fiesta selling alongside Fiesta Classic) with the New Polo in coming sometime (Its VW, so expect not before 2020-2025), hence they're moving Polo slightly down the ladder (or keeping it at the same place while other competitors move up)
Old 10th March 2018, 14:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Given VW's yardstick of using a 1.4L to power an Audi A4, a 1.0L in an Ameo can even be considered an overkill.

Last edited by AMG Power : 10th March 2018 at 14:33.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 15:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the views of the majority of the members here, I seem to be the odd one out , but being an eternal optimist, I'd hope for the best from this move by VW
Me and you both Sir !
I've extensively driven my friends 1.2 MPI Poloin the last year and the observations of many esteemed forum members are every bit right. Imho it is not that power starved but I agree it's not for spirited driving. Overtaking is a risky affair almost 80% of the time (rural Kerala roads). Don't know how 1.0 NA will fare until I drive one !

But somewhere in my heart I feel, it may turn tables for Volkswagen. In it's segment Swift is the king, but the recently launched pick of the masses already has a waiting period (as informed by the SA at Sai Service Cochin). People looking for alternate options might consider Polo now because the 'ditna deti hai?' part is now in an acceptable range. And the quality fit & finish plus kit on offer may appeal to them. Also for people looking at a car with a bigger heart 1.2l MPI's will be offered with discounts. If you're an enthusiast you've the GT twins or for the non enthusiast spirited driver, diesel 1.5l heart with discounts might pull his heartstrings. Or a guy looking for a beater car now has a car with better average and a solid build quality and over the next few months with even discounts pouring in !

I'm a proud 1.2l TDI owner who was advised by many that it's underpowered 3 pot diesel but here I'm 6 years later still loving her and still serving me as a beater ! Hope you prove me right Volkswagen !
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 09:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! That engine looks really lame on paper itself. No need to even wonder about how bad it will be out on the road.

It is really strange that the Polo lost many potent engines over the years in our market. The 1.6 petrol and diesels were gone and now this. While the rickety old 1.2 MPI cannot be really regarded on similar lines, this looks even worse.

For people sitting on the fence, all I can say is make your move before they do the same to the glorious 1.2 TSI.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 09:40   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Oh man!

For people sitting on the fence, all I can say is make your move before they do the same to the glorious 1.2 TSI.
True. The 1.0L TSI will replace the 1.2L TSI.

They will dilute the stock of the 1.2L TSI with the speculated AMEO GT TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks