Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 14:18   #46
BHPian

Re: May 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
Trend of SUV crazy country! Here are the numbers for MAY-2018.

NOTE:

-> Not considered Captur & Terrano since they are hardy selling. Kind of dead products.
-> Not considered classic products like Scorpio & Safari.
I thought I would see this in the post, but allow me to continue your chain of thought

Minus the vehicles not considered by you (Bolero, Sumo, Safari, Scorpio, Xylo, Terrano, Captur, Kodiaq, Tiguan, Tucson, BRV and Freestyle)- the total was 48,246 SUVs !

And if we include the sales figures for the abovementioned SUVs, the total is 66,011 !

That's 66,011 SUVs out of a total of 2,97,263 vehicles sold during this period. Amounting to 22.21% of total sales.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 22:15   #47
BHPian

Some observations:

i> Top 6 highest selling cars are all from Maruti Suzuki.

ii> In the top ten list Maruti and Hyundai scores 7:3. Will this ever change in India?

iii> With 11 models in the top 20 highest selling list, Maruti is the undisputed leader in the market eversince.

iv> Octavia has outnumbered Corolla

v> Jeep Compass is doing commendable numbers and it shows that if a company is really serious about our market, we won't disappoint.

vi> City is losing ground very quickly and is probably the most affected one by Yaris while Ciaz has outnumbered newly launched Verna. I'm surprised.

vii> Waiting for Fiat to exit the market.
Old 10th June 2018, 22:57   #48
BHPian

Interesting numbers alright, but the VW & SKODA ()1.05+0.48=1.53% market share, somehow doesn't ring right in the cities at least. Even in a relatively medium city like here in Coimbatore, the roads are full of Polos/Ventos/Rapids. The number suggest otherwise. Am I missing something?
Old 11th June 2018, 01:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel990 View Post
Interesting numbers alright, but the VW & SKODA ()1.05+0.48=1.53% market share, somehow doesn't ring right in the cities at least. Even in a relatively medium city like here in Coimbatore, the roads are full of Polos/Ventos/Rapids. The number suggest otherwise. Am I missing something?
The demand for VW, Skodas & Fiats are comparatively higher in the South India.
For e.g in Kolkata, as per what I've noticed a lot of people prefers Hyundai & Honda. Whereas in Maharashtra there are a lot of Maruti Suzuki & Tata vehicles. Similarly, in the hills of Himalayas they're too dominated by Maruti Suzuki cabs be it an Alto, WagonR or Celerio you will see them all.
In Bangalore & Chennai too there are a high number of VW Skoda & Fiat cars.
Our National Capital is a jack of all though again you will spot a lot of Fortuners, Innova, Scorpios and Dusters there owing to the avid fan following for SUVs up North & UP side.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 02:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
But still it's got a long waiting period. My friend booked the Amaze in Bangalore and the waiting period is minimum 2 months and that too a base model.

It is fairly common for new models. I remember the new City and Wrv had similar wait times for the first few months. Honda regulates the variants and fuel types tightly - the top end VX and base E have lowest production rates and hence the wait times are same as other variants even though the demand is low. When I booked my diesel Jazz VX, I was given 1.5 months waiting time (same as the VCVT at that time) and we knew the diesel only accounted for a small fraction of the Jazz's sales.
Old 11th June 2018, 06:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually this is something that has struck me long ago. Of course the sales pattern is different for the companies/models in the different regions/states.
I’m positive that the VW average sales percentage for example, for my city and state, is far higher than the national average considering the number of them on the roads here.

Last edited by wilful : 11th June 2018 at 06:09.
Old 11th June 2018, 09:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are not just commuter cars from point A to point B; they are fun to drive and thus stay on road for more number of hours compared to other cars. May be that is the reason why we tend to see them more ! Alternatively, we can't ignore their presence even when these machines are dated because they age well.

Whatever may be the reason; these are some of the well made cars on Indian roads !
Old 11th June 2018, 09:33   #53
BHPian

Amazing report as always.

Is there any place where we can get data on Used Car Sales from True Value? Would be really interesting to see how Maruti is doing in used car segment as well.
Old 11th June 2018, 15:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Actually this is something that has struck me long ago. Of course the sales pattern is different for the companies/models in the different regions/states.
I’m positive that the VW average sales percentage for example, for my city and state, is far higher than the national average considering the number of them on the roads here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
These are not just commuter cars from point A to point B; they are fun to drive and thus stay on road for more number of hours compared to other cars. May be that is the reason why we tend to see them more !
The Polo has been in market for 9 years and Vento-Rapid have been in market for 6-7 years. These are much older than competition. Add to that Polo sold during 2009 is not much different from a 2018 Polo baring minor tweaks. Even though they sell in small numbers now, back then they used to sell decently. The cars you see on road, are those that have been sold since 2009.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 15:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The Polo has been in market for 9 years and Vento-Rapid have been in market for 6-7 years. These are much older than competition. Add to that Polo sold during 2009 is not much different from a 2018 Polo baring minor tweaks. Even though they sell in small numbers now, back then they used to sell decently. The cars you see on road, are those that have been sold since 2009.
Plus, these cars are depreciation disasters and don't fetch much value in 2nd hand market. Hence, owners of these cars tend to keep these cars for longer than, say, a hyundai or a Maruti.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 18:29   #56
BHPian

^ Probably true. But I must admit that most of these VW cars have aged well. In chennai, I see a lot of Ventos with the old badging at the back which helps identify it as at least a 4 year old car. But other than that, the cars looks pretty much like new.

It's a pity VW is just doing cosmetic changes every month instead of launching an all new version.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 20:49   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how the Commercial Vehicles report card looks like for May .

Quote:
All the OEMs, including Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland, VE Commercial Vehicles and Mahindra & Mahindra have recorded strong M&HCV sales in the month. However, it is to be noted that manufacturers are benefiting from last year’s low base, when BS IV emission norms had come into effect and the sales were impacted significantly in the first quarter of FY18.
May 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-cvmay2018.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 00:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

The difference is amazing - all critics say its a better product, more value for money more features etc etc. But Ford Endeveaour sells just 350 vehicles a month compared to nearly 2000 a month for Toyota Fortuner, why is this ?
Old 12th June 2018, 00:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The difference is amazing - all critics say its a better product, more value for money more features etc etc. But Ford Endeveaour sells just 350 vehicles a month compared to nearly 2000 a month for Toyota Fortuner, why is this ?
Toyota seems to be Maruti of Suv/Muv segment. Look at the sales of Innova and Fortuner with respect to their counterparts, no one stands close to them.

Regarding Fortuner it is equally competent backed by Toyota's reliability. While Endeavour excels in most of the areas Fortuner still stands good on services, spares and fuel economy department.

Adding to this how many enthusiast we have on earth and are members of TBhp. Even members have one or the other reason to sideline Ford be it resale or missing manual transmission. Looks are subjective no point discussing that but I still feel Endeavour looks more macho and brawny in comparison to Fortuner's fluidic look.

Last edited by roby_dk : 12th June 2018 at 00:49.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 14:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The basic answer is trust.
Indians now trust Toyota blindly in the premium segment. I have seen so many corporates and offices using Fortuner for their senior executives to ferry them around. The design has always played an extremely important role in the success of the vehicle. Initially, it was macho now it's contemporary. People have always loved the Fortuner mainly for it's design and I don't know if people here would agree or not but they age really well.
Secondly, no other car even comes close when we talk about reliability. Most of the Fortuner buyers knows about Toyota's reliability or has experienced the same in Innova. That's the vehicle which has changed the game for Toyota altogether. When your 12 Lakh Innova (2007-08) can clock lakhs of kms then why won't a 25 Lakh Fortuner would infact it would be better!
I have seen so many Fortuners with such high numbers in the odo infact my neighbour drives the first generation Fortuner with 1.8 Lakh kms on the odo and even now it feels as good as new.
Talk to any Fortuner owner and most of them are extremely happy with their possession.
It has got everything a typical Indian buyer whether they stay in a city or a town wants, on top of that Toyota's After sales service along with the resale value are icing on the cake.
Even though I love the Endeavour for the plushness it offers along with that stance it possess but if I had to put in 30 Lakhs on one of these SUVs Fortuner too would be my pick as I know for a fact that I don't have to invest on a new SUV atleast for the next 10 years.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks