Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 15:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

May 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: May 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Few Points

1. Why is Abarth shown as Zero? A Bhpian had got delivery of Abarth Punto last month.

2. Good start for Freestyle. Hope the numbers increase in coming months.

3. New Amaze has got very good numbers. Highest ever sales for Amaze in a month, I believe. I would wait to see the figures for next few months as Honda is known to produce high numbers of new launches and dump them to dealers.

4. Hyundai is doing business as usual. Grand I10, Elite I20 and Creta are the major players.

5. Maruti Suzuki remains unchallenged in Indian automotive scene. Very strong sales with more than 54 % market share. S-Cross face lift did good numbers too, once again proves it's all about looks here in India. Baleno sells little more than Swift even with much lesser number of dealers.

6. Tata is doing well with Tiago, Nexon and Tigor.

7. Decent numbers for Yaris, considering it's available only in petrol. Let's wait for next few months to get clear picture.

8. Nothing impressive from Renault, Nissan, Skoda and VW. They need to bring in more models at competitive prices.

9. Number 3 and 4 spots are taken by Mahindra and Tata.

10. Out of top 5 cars sold last month :
Maruti : 5/5

Out of top 10 cars sold last month :
Maruti : 7/10
Hyundai : 3/10

Out of top 25 cars sold last month :
Maruti : 13/25
Hyundai : 5/25
Mahindra : 2/25
Tata : 2/25
Honda : 1/25
Toyota : 1/25
Ford : 1/25

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th June 2018 at 15:45.
Dr.Naren is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Thanks for sharing.
Great start by the Freestyle. Hopefully Ford will get the success it deserves. On the other hand, the Aspire is dying. The pace at which consumer preferences change in India is astonishing. A product can't survive even 5 years before the sales taper off.
Nissan1180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Few Points

1. Why is Abarth shown as Zero? A Bhpian had got delivery of Abarth Punto last month.
Aren't these factory dispatch numbers and hence cannot be related with end-customer deliveries? The manufacture month of the Bhpian's car might be April or before.

Regarding the numbers, duster desperately needs a better facelift and the numbers for XUV seem to be settling at the same units as the previous gen. But Hexa's numbers seem unchanged despite the XUV's launch. Had expected the numbers to fall to 500-600 units. But looks like these numbers may settle/increase when all the excitement dies down.
TATA need to learn marketing from Mahindra and Renault. Or bring back the team that designed them for the Safari!

Also, if you have BRV, WRV, Captur, etc as SUVs, not sure why you would call a capable off-roader (Hexa) as an MUV! Just by the side profile alone and conveniently discarding 4X4, GC, drive modes, Hill descend/assist, etc?

Last edited by abhi7013 : 7th June 2018 at 16:11.
abhi7013 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Aren't these factory dispatch numbers and hence cannot be related with end-customer deliveries? The manufacture month of the Bhpian's car might be April or before.
It was April 2018 car and the sales figure for Abarth is Zero since last couple of months.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:32   #10
BHPian

• Ruthless domination by Maruti. Maruti's top 2 cars outsold the entire Hyundai portfolio. Other than Gypsy, all Marutis sold more than 4000 cars, and that includes cars marked by us as Maruti's pricing failures, such as Ignis and S-Cross. I wonder if there is a brand (not just automobile) which enjoys such domination in a market as large and diverse as India.
  • Hyundai is continuing a solid run, focussing on themselves.
  • Amaze and Freestyle have had a good beginning. Amaze seems to have impacted dispatches of other Honda models, as they all witness a fall. Would be interesting in the coming months whether such a run continues.
  • Ecosport also seems to be holding on to its territory well against Nexon. In my opinion that is market showing maturity in making choices that aren't solely governed by prices. Bodes well for us as consumers in getting good quality vehicles.
  • Tigor was earlier looking like a not too successful vehicle, but has pulled up quite well in the recent months.
  • Only 700 D segment sedans were sold last month. Should Honda bother bringing the Civic to India?
autorahul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maruti - tightening it's grip by having 7/10 top sold models.
Hyundai - second fiddle with 3/10 top sold models.
Ford - Ray of hope with 3K+ Freestyles against average of around 1K Figo - now only if they transfer the learnings into the facelift figo / aspire, that may help them to find their footing in the intensely competitive hatchback / CS space.
Honda - Amazing debut by the new Amaze - have to see if they can hold on to these numbers. Also, are these numbers cannibalizing lower variants of City?
Tata - Tiago / Tigor / Nexon driving the company which is a good sign. Indica / Indigo has flatlined, and the plug shall presumably be pulled for Nano soon. Next on line is I guess Bolt. Zest is keeping it's nose above the water due to taxi sales.

Last edited by blackasta : 7th June 2018 at 16:34.
blackasta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:39   #12
BHPian

Wow!

7 cars doing 5 digit sales figures, while 8th one (Omni) approaching the mark!

Out of which 2 (Alto and Dzire) are well ahead of 20K mark and two more (Baleno and Swift) on the verge of it.
I simply fail to understand this.
Well done Maruti Suzuki.

Being just 30-50 K apart in terms of price, Baleno and Swift doesn't seems to have eaten into each others pie, instead both are growing.

I think rest of the manufacturers should quit their shops and leave the market.
Because this Nation wants Marutis, Marutis and only Marutis, it seems.

Astounding figures seems have made me go crazy.

Such poor numbers for Ford Freestyle despite of being priced very well and offering many features never seen in its segment. Expected much more than this.

Last edited by DriveOnceMore : 7th June 2018 at 16:57. Reason: Added a comment about Freestyle
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:45   #13
BHPian

Thank you for sharing the detailed sales report as always @Aditya.

The month of May also saw the largest number of launches so far in 2018. A total of 16 car were launched. (incl facelifts, ltd editions, et al.)

1. Tata Nexon AMT

2. Mini Countryman

3. Mercedes AMG E 63 S

4. Nissan Terrano Sport Edition

5. Maruti Vitara Brezza AMT

6. Maruti Ertiga Limited Edition

7. Ford Ecosport S

8. Honda Amaze

9. Hyundai i20 CVT

10. Hyundai Creta Facelift

11. Lexus LX 570

12.Mercedes AMG SLC 43 Limited Edition

13. Mercedes AMG GLE 43 Limited Edition

14. Mini Cooper Facelift

15. Mahindra TUV 300 Plus

16. Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Last edited by Flyer : 7th June 2018 at 17:02.
Flyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

So much of difference in sale # between Endeavour and Fortuner, almost 6x. With such numbers, is this product a commercial success in India keeping aside rave reviews it gets everywhere. The numbers are going to suffer further if there are any further price increase with 2019 facelift.

Jeep numbers are getting down. XUV numbers are impressive given the newer version & hope it keeps clicking in that region. Creta crossed 10k+ wow!
Surprise is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 17:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I really would not talk about the bigger picture because the top-20 interests me more!

If at all there is one thing to realise from the sales charts and the models setting it on fire, its all about refreshes! If you are a lame duck, India is not a place to sell your cars The buyer sentiment is a whole lot different from elsewhere.
  • Dzire, Swift, i10 Grand, Amaze, Ecosport, S-Cross to think of. They have remarkably ensured either to hold-on to their positions or retain it after a while. Goes to show how product makers are serious about not wanting to lose their customers to competition and they indeed work hard to refresh that product to meet or exceed what the competition is giving

• Then comes the Tata's stalwarts of Nexon, Tiago & Tigor : If you look at these products, they speak volumes about the quality and design. It is heartening to see people picking them in good numbers and only going to retain those numbers for a long time now. A wonderful comeback!
The rest of the toppers are mostly those who will be hard to knock off from the top 20 any sooner:
  • Bolero keeps the utility segment happy with its frugal characteristics ideal for small towns and villages (bad roads and abuse)
  • Eeco is the rich man's Omni with an Air-Conditioner and a more powerful engine catering to small towns and villages again
  • WagonR is still seen as a practical hatch with boxy dimensions and large (tall) cabin and glass area that is actually a boon for many
  • Brezza and Creta : One reason; Just because Ecosport is a Ford (This presumption still remains and Freestyle would make that change, hopefully). Reason 2: I drive an SUVheeee at an affordable price!
  • Alto : Will remain the first car for many (Like how toothpaste is still Colgate)
  • Celerio : I can stretch a little bit within the same show room if I am looking at the Alto and buy something better/bigger?
  • Innova Crysta : Do we need a reason? Keeps the faith, relentlessly

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2018 at 17:44.
paragsachania is offline   (25) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks