Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 12:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: "Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why can't they just ask owners to put different colour number plates for each fuel type
Yeah, this was the same suggestion GTO made on another thread where this topic was discussed. Either the entire colour, or a neat 1" wide band on the side.

Given the idea is to make things easier for traffic police, it makes sense to place it with the number plate, so they can see everything in one place.

I think since this change is being done due to the NGT's prodding, it has its origins in the NCR. And with the NCR in the midst of a strict implementation of the HSRP, I'd think they went the sticker route as a cop-out, rather than risk the ire of asking people to get another change made to their number plates.

I think the intent is not for fuelling in the petrol pump (although that'll be a bonus), but for more RTO enforcement of vehicle ageing rules, and traffic police enforcement of traffic shaping measures (odd/even, waivers for hybrids, etc.)
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 08:42   #32
BHPian

re: "Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Yeah, this was the same suggestion GTO made on another thread where this topic was discussed. Either the entire colour, or a neat 1" wide band on the side.
How frequently attendant checks number plate before pushing the nozzle?

If this is such a rampant problem - change the nozzle design and make it unique to fuel type; also come up with some colour coding guideline for tank cap and/or area behind fuel lid - visual cues and design approach can solve such problems, not stupid sticker job.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fuel Type Sticker made mandatory by Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
How frequently attendant checks number plate before pushing the nozzle? .
While the Supreme Court has been guilty of overreach, I'm reasonably certain this latest edict is not because people are putting the wrong fuel in their cars.

The linked article has a reference to pollution in NCR, so it might be to assist in some pollution control measures.

Quite simply, a small tweak to the HSRP could accommodate this change.

A crude representation is given below: move the "IND" lower, put a coloured stripe for fuel type (e.g. orange for petrol, because it looks... orangey), and put in the year of registration. Putting the year and fuel type should allow for quickly assessing the vehicle, and a quick visual scan of the left side of the plate should answer a few questions - the age of the vehicle, the fuel it runs on, is it out of state.

Last edited by arunphilip : 17th October 2018 at 09:20.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why can't they just ask owners to put different colour number plates for each fuel type, and based on which only the fuel will be filled at the fuel stations? I think that would be a cooler.

We already have green for Govt, black for that, yellow for this..etc, it can be further confusing?

They could use even numbers for diesel and odd numbers for petrol for future registrations.. Delhi Govt will be happy too..

But seriously, why is SC getting in to all these?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:54   #35
BHPian

Judicial overreach. Don't understand the Modus operandi or the purpose of this ridiculous judgement. Another one after the infamous one on sunfilm ban. We used to have non polluting stickers before on windshield. We have engine details on back of cars .

According to old sun film ban judgement it had read that as per motor vehicle act nothing is allowed to be affixed on windshield or glasses of vehicles now continuing that same reading of the act this order is a violation of the motor vehicle act and should be challenged but again it's a time waster frivolous order.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Quoting my self from another similar thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...dshield-4.html (How to avoid sticking parking stickers on the windshield)

Some one should file a PIL in supreme court against this policy of forcefully blocking the visibility of driver with stickers on the windshield.
Careful with the suggestions. The next thing you know , SC will agree with stickers blocking visibility and make us drive with stickers on our forehead.

SC is clearly over reaching but this is happening because our legislators have not stepped up and refined the rules keeping in mind the exponential changes in the automotive industry. Some how common sense is a missing commodity these days. Sticker or no sticker is irrelevant in a country where children continue to travel in the front seats on laps. Why can't they work on that first?
chittybang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:19   #37
BHPian

Instead of mandating stickers these idiots should be making policies to kick off hybrid and battery electric production in the country.

On a side note, has anyone read the pollution control measures ofr Delhi?
They aren't ready to ban diesel generator use in the NCR because of "inadequate infrastructure".
Oh really? Whose fault is that now?

These people will let industries get away with any kind of dumping, but they'll make decisions that cause inconvenience to normal people because it creates a public perception that the government is doing something.
sleepyk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised no one has bought this one up yet - Throughout Bangla, a sticker with the slogan coined by CM herself 'Safe Drive Save Life' is mandatorily being stuck on every motor vehicle by police / other agencies as applicable.
It is supposed to reduce accidents (!).
Fuel type sticker seems rational in comparison to the above !

https://www.india-aware.com/national...drive-kolkata/

Last edited by blackasta : 17th October 2018 at 10:23.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

As per communicated by one of my Delhi based friends. They started giving these stickers with the HSRP number plate. Orange is the colour code of diesel. This is how it looks.

"Fuel Type" Sticker made mandatory by the Supreme Court-img20181206wa0018.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 13:40   #40

The windscreen will look more like the softboard from junior school rather than an important part of automobile in a few years, filled with stickers.

1. RFID tag
2. Car detail sticker
3. Fastag
4. Some random car manufacturer in built sticker
5. Office/hospital parking logo
6. Doctor sticker (in my case)
7. Residence parking sticker
8. Few other parking stickers
9. PUC sticker (Safe drive, save life)

Amen!!
On_the_drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
As per communicated by one of my Delhi based friends. They started giving these stickers with the HSRP number plate. Orange is the colour code of diesel. This is how it looks.

Attachment 1825511
Can you please confirm, when was this? I collected my HSRP only a week back, and there was no mention of anything like this? Thanks.
Old 6th December 2018, 14:13   #42
BHPian

I really wonder what purpose would be served by this measure. Sticker declaring fuel type is of no relevance when we are displaying PUC sticker in our car.

At most, a sticker on fuel lid can help fuel pump attendants to dispense correct type of fuel.

It would be great if we come to know the reasons for this step declared by SC.

However, this is yet to be implemented in West Bengal.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 06:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

This order is now being implemented with gusto from 1st October in NCR.

Stickers alone cannot be requested you need to request the whole set.

The irony of a green tribunal making everyone waste time and resources for no damn reason is beyond me. Like Tilak correctly pointed out, the poor attendant is overwhelmed anyhow. He will barely be able to register the sticker. Why not simply respect the current mfr design which has the fuel designation mentioned a couple of times - on the rear quarter glass and on the fuel cap.

This is beyond asinine.

If only we could post memes of the corrupt folks among Delhi police looking forward to milking hapless people this weekend. I am beyond livid at this mess. Makes me question everything else NGT comes up.

This is basic logic even a humble pump attendant will tell them is pointless. They should be mandated to spend 4 hours on the ground for every new idea to understand if it is even remotely doable?! Imagine the time and resource wastage happening NCR wide right now.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi...ZT5L2057L.html
Old 28th September 2020, 07:09   #44
BHPian

I wonder did NGT even considered the amount of polution & environmental impact it would cause to simply make all this stickers?

Paper, plastic, glue, ink, paint, machine to produce all these & fuel consumption for delivery logistics, further vehicles & machines involved in logistics, these things are anything but environment friendly.

Out of sight, out of mind type thing?

PIL was filed for PUC violation & govt of bengal simply didn't even attend a single hearing. Resulting into NGT ordering govt to make it mandatory for all vehicles to fitted with some network enabled electronic device to give road side traffic law enforcement officials information about violation on fly.

Somehow Govt of Bengal turned that ordered into a mandatory PUC stick on windshield

A year later, PUC centers are saying order is withdrawn & stickers aren't required anymore. Car owners are left to deal with half torn old stickers & glue marks in windscreen.

On one hand there is clear cut traffic law about keeping the windscreen free of anything to prevent obstructing drivers view yet govt themselves are ordering citizens to break that law.

Last edited by NaXal : 28th September 2020 at 07:11. Reason: Fixed formatting error
Old 28th September 2020, 11:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsure what the major fuss is about; I thought the MoRTH & SC had anyway specified a 1 October 2020 deadline for ALL existing older vehicles.

Like most EU countries, an interior sticker is a good idea which can easily identify my car even if number plates are damaged / stolen for whatever reason. They should have included tax paid details too, and implemented it along with the HSRPs in one go. The colour coding is to immediately identify non-compliant vehicles. Purely as an example, at a toll booth if a vehicle is belching black smoke but tries to pass itself of as a petrol/hybrid based on the illegal numberplate, it can be easily caught out.

I got mine by default in my June 2020 purchase, and think it's a great move to force the millions of illegal number plates off the roads.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th September 2020 at 11:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks