Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 17:40   #46
BHPian

Re: The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If only Jeep can now add an automatic at around a lakh more to the Limited Plus it will be a killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
How excruciatingly painful to watch the launch of a car with such great features but without AT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Absolutely!

Jeep should be getting atleast an additional 40% of prospective customers just with this! AT is a must-have for the premium segment these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Now, when the AT variant will be launched, the prices will shoot up by more than 1 Lakh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
They should have included automatic as well in this price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneet_ag View Post
Let's not forget for 27L on road in Bangalore the Limited Plus still does not have a cruise control and an automatic transmission.
Above comments by revered BHPians on the AT made me recheck my facts!

But, Automatic IS available on the Limited Plus!!

In Petrol guise with a 7 Speed DDCT, Dual Dry clutch (is not counted?)

Haven't done a Test-drive, but mated to a 160bhp/250nm engine, it should be no slouch.

For an urban-driving oriented transmission set-up, a petrol engine should not be a stumbling block.

Knowing that it gets you the entire safety gamut (ABS, EBD, TCS, ESC, Hill Hold, 6Airbags etc. + all the creature comforts too!

A debate is welcome.
Old 27th September 2018, 18:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Haven't done a Test-drive, but mated to a 160bhp/250nm engine, it should be no slouch.
Err.. Team-BHP did an official review of the Jeep Compass Petrol AT and that review is languishing on Page 4 on that sub-forum. Gives you an idea, not many takers for the Petrol AT. Couple of points from the reviewer and GTO's comments would tell us why :

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-petrol-review.jpg

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-gto-comments-petrol-.jpg

Edit : Link to the Petrol AT Review : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-3.html (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review)

When I heard that Petrol AT was coming in the Limited Plus trim, I revisited our official review to re-read the comments, while quite a few of the negatives have been addressed, the major ones have not been and perhaps FCA wont be able to.

So the wait for the Diesel AT / Trailhawk continues.

Cheers,
Uday

Last edited by uday.ere : 27th September 2018 at 18:36.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:26   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But, Automatic IS available on the Limited Plus!!

In Petrol guise with a 7 Speed DDCT, Dual Dry clutch (is not counted?)

For an urban-driving oriented transmission set-up, a petrol engine should not be a stumbling block.

Knowing that it gets you the entire safety gamut (ABS, EBD, TCS, ESC, Hill Hold, 6Airbags etc. + all the creature comforts too!

A debate is welcome.
You have a point but it doesn't take away the fact that diesel AT is almost a necessity in this segment. It's not looked at as a city errand petrol AT but more as a versatile long distance cruiser. DCT gives cold feet to many if high mileage is involved.

The way I look at, panoramic roof clearly gives it a very high upmarket/luxury feel and MT is totally detested by prospective buyers in this segment.
Old 27th September 2018, 18:44   #49
BHPian

Let's not forget that VW Tiguan comes with 140 Hp Engine whereas JC comes with 170 Hp Engine.

Agreed Tucson also has similar power but it doesn't have that gorgeous panoramic sunroof.

With all this, JC still undercuts price of both competitors comfortably.

In my personal opinion, ride + handling package of JC is tough to beat.

Diesel+AT combination would only add to its appeal and reach though it comes with an incremental price. It'd be the car to buy in this segment unless Harrier crashes the party.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 18:51   #50
BHPian

The Compass is definitely VFM in the new Limited Plus trim. Before the Plus trim came only the Sport variants were truly VFM, but that has now changed.

In the 20-30L segment, I do not see a real credible alternative to the Compass. A Tucson maybe, but not the XUV or Hexa.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 21:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs

Quote:

I have test driven the Petrol auto and it is no where close to the diesel. The diesel manual itself is down to 134 hp and 279 Nm Torque on the dyno. Not sure of the transmission losses on the petrol. The motor is no where close to the diesel 2.0.

I clock a lot of mileage and petrol somehow just does not work for me as a daily beater. My Punto has done 130 k in 5 years. At the current diesel rates and the price difference, I would break even at the 50-55k KMs on the Compass. Assuming there is a 4 lakh OTR price difference. That is hardly half the way into the car ownership.

And no 4*4 on the Petrol.

At this price point a diesel auto especially in an SUV would work wonders for FCA.

Attachment 1802698

Attachment 1802699

Courtesy Race Dynamics dyno.
Attached Thumbnails
The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538062283.688970.jpg  

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538062344.664022.jpg  

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 27th September 2018 at 21:16.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 05:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Agreed Tucson also has similar power but it doesn't have that gorgeous panoramic sunroof.
While Tucson misses on the sunroof, it has some very nifty features such as Auto hold and front parking sensors that are great for every day use. In fact I would say that the sunroof is just a initial feel good feature and is something that I would be happy to skip given its long term reliability issues. I have hardly used the sunroof a couple of times in my BMW X3’s 2 years ownership and I no longer get fascinated by it - maybe it is just me though.

Also Tucson is a genuine 5 seater whereas the compass is a comfortable 4 seater car.
Old 28th September 2018, 06:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

While I have not driven the Jeep Compass as yet, I have travelled quite often in one as a close friend has the Petrol Auto. It feels great on the inside. My friend is extremely happy with the car, and loves how smooth the engine and gearbox combo is. Of course, like me, he runs only 7000-8000 km per year, and hence is not bothered about fuel prices that much. Am sure the Limited Plus will attract customers like him. Agree there would be a wider audience for the diesel auto - just wonder where it would take the pricing and whether folks would consider it dead on arrival as a result.

Last edited by Hayek : 28th September 2018 at 06:29.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 23:15   #54
BHPian

Good opinions! just wanted to defend the current TBhp Car of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Err.. Team-BHP did an official review of the Jeep Compass Petrol AT and that review is languishing on Page 4 on that sub-forum. Gives you an idea, not many takers for the Petrol AT.

So the wait for the Diesel AT / Trailhawk continues.
Yes no arguing with verdict, but still 30% of Compass' sale is for Petrol (~8,000 takers last year) and also wins our poll for the being the better AT Overall.. Owner comments are mostly good for the AT.

Compass Petrol Share (Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018))

Compass Petrol Vs Competition across segments (The Petrol AT Battle: Jeep Compass vs others)

Agreed that the Diesel is a gem, but within the company is keeps, the petrol nearly matches with the almost double sized Innova 2.7L in bhp and trumps it on torque...while smothering out all others.

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-petrolcompassspecsheet.jpg

So just saying that it quite suits the need of the urban buyer who appreciates features, safety and build quality.

On the same note, I am also in line for the Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You have a point but it doesn't take away the fact that diesel AT is almost a necessity in this segment. It's not looked at as a city errand petrol AT but more as a versatile long distance cruiser. DCT gives cold feet to many if high mileage is involved.
I am not saying that Diesel AT shouldn't come, but just highlighting for somebody looking for city comfortable usage, a capable AT exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I have test driven the Petrol auto and it is no where close to the diesel.

Courtesy Race Dynamics dyno.
Got it! But aren't transmission losses are more or less same for all power-trains? Comparing apple to apple, Compass petrol at crank is quite powerful as compared to other petrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
While Tucson misses on the sunroof, it has some very nifty features such as Auto hold ..

Also Tucson is a genuine 5 seater whereas the compass is a comfortable 4 seater car.
Hmm.. Compass too has auto-hold and automatic parking brakes..as standard

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...ss-P-AT-02.jpg

The Jeep Compass Limited Plus. EDIT: Launched at Rs 21.07 lakhs-milind.jpg

Space wise, yes compass is compact, but tucson isn't way ahead

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-tucson-15.jpg

As per the Tucson official review, the AC Vent and Transmission tunnel intrudes the middle passenger's turf.

Compass for reference

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...compass-14.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
.. a close friend has the Petrol Auto. It feels great on the inside. My friend is extremely happy with the car, and loves how smooth the engine and gearbox combo is. Of course, like me, he runs only 7000-8000 km per year, and hence is not bothered about fuel prices that much. Am sure the Limited Plus will attract customers like him. Agree there would be a wider audience for the diesel auto
Aptly Put! Let's be fair to FCA for giving us new model updates every now and then to keep the Compass interest rolling, because as is common knowledge, after the Diesel AT there is no new model till 2020!

Last edited by SDP : 29th September 2018 at 08:02. Reason: Please upload the images to your post or provide a URL for those. No image tags please
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 06:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. Compass too has auto-hold and automatic parking brakes..as standard

Space wise, yes compass is compact, but tucson isn't way ahead

As per the Tucson official review, the AC Vent and Transmission tunnel intrudes the middle passenger's turf.

Compass for reference

Interesting piece of info. For some reason, the auto hold wasn’t working on Compass petrol AT in D mode when I took the test drive. May be there was some additional setting as I don’t remember seeing a dedicated Auto Hold switch in it.

Also, I practically found that it was a squeeze for 3 adults to sit in the back seat of a Compass whereas 3 adults could easily be accommodated in the back seat of Tucson. With reclining seat backs, it makes things more comfortable in Tucson.

Last edited by SDP : 29th September 2018 at 07:58. Reason: Removing images from quoted post
Old 3rd October 2018, 05:01   #56
BHPian

Good info, I guess it's a matter of time Hyundai adds a sunroof. They have it in foreign markets and can be integrated easily.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:33   #57
Team-BHP Support

Autocar India takes a look at the Compass Limited Plus -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed