Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2019, 02:31   #1261
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
So what exactly is happening here, is there some sort of a coating which is coming off or is the plastic getting broken or what. This looks really cheap, I guess thats how they nailed it on the pricing by using cheap quality materials.
Old 13th July 2019, 07:13   #1262

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
So what exactly is happening here, is there some sort of a coating which is coming off or is the plastic getting broken or what. This looks really cheap, I guess thats how they nailed it on the pricing by using cheap quality materials.

I think it is quite obvious that someone ( potentially a customer ) has MIs handled trying to tug away . It is obvious that the plastic has got roughed up. Some people are trying to create a poor image of MG without understanding some basics
madhavan1605 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 07:36   #1263
BANNED

Quote:
I enquired about the scratches seen bellow and the sales person did not have an answer. Second car in the showroom also had scratches but to a lesser extent. Seatbelt buckles were mysteriously removed on both these cars. I am concerned about the durability of the plastic parts used.
What is this part? Is it located between the seats? Is it some ergonomic issue with makes seatbelt buckle to scratch this area while applying seatbelt?
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 10:21   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears fibrous but it is not paint coat. It could be some kind of plastic layer on the surface. But the scratches are deep and they have exposed the core plastic material inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
What is this part? Is it located between the seats? Is it some ergonomic issue with makes seatbelt buckle to scratch this area while applying seatbelt?
Yes, between the seats (rear seats).
These were display cars (I forgot to check the demo cars). When I asked about it, the sales person told it could be because of people trying to snap the seat-belt on without looking and since the buckles are removed, the plastic part gets damaged. This is not convincing as I don't think people who are checking out a car inside the showroom would try to wear the seat-belts (that too rear seat belts). Even if they do, it should only result in minor scratches.
When I asked him about why the buckles have been removed, he did not have convincing answer either.
In general, plastic trims appear like they are prone to get scratched easily.

Last edited by Guna : 13th July 2019 at 10:23.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 10:45   #1265
Senior - BHPian

The discussion on plastics is quite unique to this thread, MG will be aware of the existing quality levels in Indian cars. I think people are interested in seat belts because they fear belts unlocking during an accodent as this is a Chinese car. The dealerships are patient enough to digest all nuisance because of brand image. MG quality levels will be definitely better than our No.1 manufacturer. Please share pictures of your findings, pictures speak more than words. All findings of our forum members can be thoroughly evaluated during teambhp official review.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th July 2019 at 10:50.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 11:32   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The discussion on plastics is quite unique to this thread, MG will be aware of the existing quality levels in Indian cars. I think people are interested in seat belts because they fear belts unlocking during an accodent as this is a Chinese car. The dealerships are patient enough to digest all nuisance because of brand image. MG quality levels will be definitely better than our No.1 manufacturer. Please share pictures of your findings, pictures speak more than words. All findings of our forum members can be thoroughly evaluated during teambhp official review.

Already posted here,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4619916 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)
Old 13th July 2019, 11:44   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Please share pictures of your findings, pictures speak more than words. All findings of our forum members can be thoroughly evaluated during teambhp official review.
One is right here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4616743 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)

My photo of mileage test is here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4616485 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)

and my video of the first of its kind uneven panel gaps is here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4616690 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)
Old 13th July 2019, 12:23   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not a coating, the plastics around these areas are generally soft without sharp edges. The term soft means not good quality but one which will not cut your skin. The damage to plastics is due to forcing a screw driver or a sharp object which chipped off the top layer. The sales person would have been told to exaggerate the fancy features, it is too much to expect them to answer questions about plastic quality. If we get enough pictures, our official review will be more informative.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 12:31   #1269
BHPian

The bottom-line is that the Car Manufacturers will never develop a perfect car and if they do, it'll be out of budget.

The dead/uncomfortable steering in Verna, weak high tensile steel in Baleno, hard plastics inside fortuner, worse ASS from VW, all lead to the same thing. And that is, if a car is in your budget and it's as good as advertised then surely you aren't looking in the right direction.

Its hard to believe that the plastic got scratches by simple use. The demo cars I saw in Delhi PPG showroom, had no scratches at all. So perhaps, it's one of those cars where either the customer or the SA people aren't handling it very well.

My $0.02
hiren.sharma is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:07   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavan1605 View Post
I think it is quite obvious that someone ( potentially a customer ) has MIs handled trying to tug away . It is obvious that the plastic has got roughed up. Some people are trying to create a poor image of MG without understanding some basics
That is an unwarranted allegation. I don't stand to gain anything by trying to 'create poor image' of MG or any other car. I am a potential buyer myself and it is natural that I share my observations on a forum like this.
PS: I may even end up buying the Hector if that's what comes close to meeting my requirements within the budget, but it is important to be aware of what one is getting in to.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2019 at 23:44. Reason: Typo.
Guna is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 17:04   #1271
Senior - BHPian

I have attached these images, please let us know which of the plastic part was damaged/had scratches. The scratched plastic part must be the seat recliner lever on the LHS. If you notice, the seat buckle is located just next to the recliner. As I had suspected, people have scratched the recliner repeatedly while trying to wear the seat belt.

Why anyone visiting to take a look at the car would damage this part? The dealership may be mandating compulsory wearing of seat belts for all occupants. Since Hector carries the image of a big car, the chances of taking a TD with 5 occupants is high. This is a design flaw if an occupant cannot lock the seatbelt behind his xxx.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190713164611.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_201907131646252.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-screenshot_20190713164506.png  

Last edited by deehunk : 13th July 2019 at 17:25.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 17:14   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Kerala dealer delivers 30 hectors in a single day & made it a history

https://www.rushlane.com/mg-hector-k...15464.html/amp

Kerala is not only god’s own country, but cars own country too

For sure our people are inclined towards tech-laden vehicles. MG is here to stay as it looks like with overwhelming response it’s gathered being a new company in our country. Not many companies have enjoyed maiden success like MG have made with their hector. Nice name by the way!
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-e63a00842b3d473690155a6f688a77c1.jpeg  

Last edited by Eddy : 14th July 2019 at 15:54. Reason: As requested
gururajrv is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 20:58   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have attached these images, please let us know which of the plastic part was damaged/had scratches. The scratched plastic part must be the seat recliner lever on the LHS. If you notice, the seat buckle is located just next to the recliner. As I had suspected, people have scratched the recliner repeatedly while trying to wear the seat belt.
If what you are saying is true, it is also example of a 'design failure' in addition to the possible selection of wrong grade of plastic for the purpose. They should consider this 'error' users are committing and fix the 'design' so that it fits in to their natural tendency/habit.

Last edited by Guna : 13th July 2019 at 20:59.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 21:48   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If what you are saying is true, it is also example of a 'design failure' in addition to the possible selection of wrong grade of plastic for the purpose.
Since you shared your experience on the forum, please confirm if this was the plastic part which was damaged/scratched. It is too early to comment on the quality based on test drive vehicles. Still the quality levels are better than No.1 manufacturer in India. The discussion on grade of plastics used in Indian cars can be done on a separate thread.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th July 2019 at 21:53.
Old 13th July 2019, 22:18   #1275
BHPian

Quote:

Why anyone visiting to take a look at the car would damage this part? The dealership may be mandating compulsory wearing of seat belts for all occupants. Since Hector carries the image of a big car, the chances of taking a TD with 5 occupants is high. This is a design flaw if an occupant cannot lock the seatbelt behind his xxx.
It's this part only. The scratches were deep as if somebody tried to carelessly remove something using a screwdriver. I don't think it's due to people trying to put in the seat belt and the seat belt was tucked in somewhere.
I have highlighted few other areas where the plastic quality is not good in my post. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4616743 (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L)
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks