Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 17:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?

Almost all of the Honda City Versions when they came initially looked abrupt. But after a couple of months they seemed better . Even the current generation of Amaze from the rear was like that initially but looks good now.
RaSing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Though the previous-gen Innova was remarked to look boxy, dated and van'ish, for me it still beats all its current and erstwhile competitors - Marazzo, new Ertiga, BRV, Hexa,'14 Xylo. Infact I prefer it over the Crysta as well. The proportional design is timeless.

The 3rd facelift (2011-14) is the pick of 4 variants during its tenure. It makes a mention in Crysta's official review as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-innova_3_facelift_1.jpg  

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-innova_3_facelift.jpg  

anthusiast is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 18:11   #18
M35
BHPian

I hated this one car due to its exterior design when it got launched fresh in the market. Would you believe it; I own one now and it IS the most loved car that I have ever owned.
= Skoda Yeti

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-dsc_7505.jpg
M35 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 18:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Off the top of my head, has to be Ritz. I hated the rear of that thing initially.
Spot on! The Ritz was the first car that came to my mind when I saw this thread title. The rear looked odd initially, and people always used to make fun of the rear hatch design, that somebody kicked it from the rear.

But with time, I, and most others too, have warmed up to the design. Sad that the car isn't being made anymore. Such a lovely car, and one of the better built ones from MSIL.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 18:23   #20
Team-BHP Support

1. Bolero, when it was launched after stopping Armada
2. The first gen Baleno due to quirky rear lights
3. Civic in 2006, it looked too futuristic
4. Safari storme rear end as they removed the tailgate mounted wheel. Got used to it now
5. Pajero Sport as it replaced the evergreen Pajero SFX
6. New Fortuner, but slowly liking the looks of it
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 18:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

The New Swift!

The car had borrowings from Redigo, Beat and whatnot. But the car has started to grow on me, especially in the Red color.
Old 18th February 2019, 19:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be the First Generation Swift and Skoda Yeti.

I hated the way Swift looked when it was launched but warmed up to it over a period of time so much so that it became my first car in 2009.

Similarly Yeti when it was launched, I was taken aback by the oddball shape. However as time passed I started liking the straight lines. The quality on the inside as well played a big role in improving the over all image.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 19:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

- Old Maruti Zen
- Old Maruti Baleno

Going slightly off-tangent, there are some design elements of certain models that I hated initially. But now I love it!

Chrome elements: I now like those chrome coatings on the front grille and just above the rear number plate. Chrome wheels and extra chrome accessories are still no-no.

Lexus front grille: Still looks a bit like Darth Vader in the photos, but looks amazing when you actually see it on the road.

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-6.e8.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 19:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The list of cars that i initially hated and later on liked are:
  • Santro
  • Innova
  • Ritz
  • Ignis
  • XUV first generation
  • BMW X1

I have also tried to list out the reasons that I could think of as reason for this:
1. The competition at the time of launch of a particular car were better looking. But over time, newer cars becoming uglier, it looks better. When Santro was launched, M800 was better looking. But over time, newer cars got uglier, making Santro pleasing to the eye.
2. Another reason probably is that the facelifts make the older version look better looking (XUV5OO for example).
3. The third reason that I can think of is that once we experience a car, it changes how we look at it. After I sat in the Innova, I started liking it.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 19:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Strange as it may sound, its Baleno's design which did not impress me much when I decided to buy it. I felt stance was too squat like and Alloy wheel design was a Joke. I had to buy it since that was the best VFM option in Petrol hatchback category.

But over a period of time, I started to like interiors and after numerous photos clicked during road trips I started to like its looks from some angles.

New Toyota Fortuner : Didn't like the bull like look initially, but after looking at it on several occasions in flesh, felt it gave great road prescence.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 20:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am the only one who liked the looks of the Ritz, Ignis and Yeti from the first go. Even bought a Ritz Zxi and currently replaced it with a Ignis Zeta. Yeti I like the old design rather than the new one. The ones I don't like the looks of, I never warm up to it I guess.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 22:02   #27
BHPian

Back in the day, Tata's Indigo Marina was an eyesore and I really hated it's egg shaped design, until I finally got to sit and watch my friend's dad's Marina, and the impressive bootspace it offered made the "Egg Shape" rear sensible to me.
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-download.jpg

Second one has to be Fiat's Sienna and Uno. Hated the way they looked, gave a very uglyish feeling, but over the years i have began to appreciate Fiat's solid build quality and turn a blind eye to their seemingly dull designs.
Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-b0978b98dab0632608a37b852f12275c_large.jpg

Car designs you didn't like initially, but then warmed up to?-1a35e63b6b00455f9031b87dba3c1d61.jpg.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2019 at 18:38. Reason: Typos
Skyline_GT is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 22:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
From the top of my head I can think of the original Skoda Yeti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I hated this one car due to its exterior design when it got launched fresh in the market. Would you believe it; I own one now and it IS the most loved car that I have ever owned.
= Skoda Yeti
These were my thoughts when I read the title of the thread before opening it. My brother owns one. He went to the dealer to book it even before it was launched after seeing it in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
The 3rd facelift (2011-14) is the pick of 4 variants during its tenure.
My +1 to this.

In addition my list would be:
- Laura Facelift.
- Mercedes C-Class (2nd Gen) facelift.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 23:28   #29
BHPian

Swift - really hated the looks when saw it first in 05 !

A decade later, succumbed to the lure of it
Old 18th February 2019, 23:41   #30
BHPian

The earlier gen Skoda Superb. The rear especially spoiled the looks for me. But eventually, the overall proportions and imposing front end made it look palatable, even a head turner on occasion!

The last gen Accord too was just too busy a design, and seemed a big step down from the earlier models when it was launched. But eventually, it has somehow turned into one of the better looking sedans one can spot on the road.

Maybe the shrinking presence of D plus segment has something to do with the phenomenon
avisidhu is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks