Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 19:12   #1
BHPian

What are some features without which you won't buy a car?

What are some features without which you won't buy a car?-steering.jpg
We all have some things and features that we look for when we plan to buy a new car. I have few on my list. If I won't find these on a car, or at least the option to get these as retro fit or as an after market upgrade, I won't buy that car. Some of the features listed below are the ones that you have to experience once before you know how important they are.
  1. Auto adjusting and folding ORVMs
  2. Central Arm Rest
  3. Auto Air Conditioning ( Not for the Auto cooling feature per say, but the fact that the Auto AC comes with better looking dials unlike the simple AC)
  4. Rear parking camera ( Was not in my Polo but I got the pop out camera retro fit)
  5. A touch screen (Again retrofitted)
  6. Steering mounted controls (Very important)
  7. And of course all the safety features (Goes without saying)

What are your must haves in a car? I couldn't find a similar thread so started one. Moderator can delete this if there is already one or move this to right place.

Last edited by navdeep.rana : 5th April 2019 at 19:39.
navdeep.rana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 19:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are some features without which you won't buy a car?

Some of the functions without which I would not buy a car.

1. ABS.
2. Airbags for all passengers.
3. Auto AC.
4. Rear parking camera.
5. Good ground clearance.
7. Strong built. Would never invest in a Maruti as it's the weakest of all (patra cars).

My present drive is Ford Endeavour 3.2 L 4x4 AT Titanium.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 19:38   #3
BHPian

I've never experienced all the above-mentioned features (I drive a non-PS '04 Santro Xing), so I can live without them too. If I were to buy a new car today, I'd be happy if it had:
1. Power steering
2. ABS and dual airbags at the least
3. Adjustable headrests both at the front and rear

I can do away with standard stuff such as power windows, ACC, touchscreen HU etc, simply because I'm not used to all that and I'm pretty comfortable with my current setup.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 19:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

I guess the following thread carries the essence of this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4458876 (The Must Have Features in Your Next Car)
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 19:54   #5
BHPian

In this age, these are some essential features that I look for in any car (hatchback or sedan or SUV)
1) Power steering and preferably hydraulic or hybrid but not entirely electronic
2) Air Conditioning with vents that reach every seat in the car. Preferably separate control for rear seats, especially in big cars.
3) Central Locking: very essential because I am sure, I would forget locking one of the passenger door, sometime.
4) Temperature gauge, dis and other sensors on dashboard display - critical to sense the functioning of power train components.
5) Dipstick or transparency to check the fluid levels in engine, brake fluid containers.
6) Dual wipers on front windscreen
7) Rear wash and wipe - this is a safety and security feature. Preferably this feature should also be provided on sedans and not just hatchbacks and notchbacks.
8) Engines and Transmission that are affordable to maintain.
9) Disk brakes at least on two wheels.
10) Good Build Quality with respect to the external surface of the car
a) good thick gauge of sheet metal.
b) lesser curves on the sides of the car and therefore more straightlined and flat surfaces
c) lesser glass surface at lower heights and sides of the car (includes head lamp or tail lamp assembly curving and extending to the sides beyond functional necessity).
11) Adjustable headrests both at the front and rear
Important criteria for SUV / MPV
1) Rear Wheel Drive : I certainly don't like Front Wheel Drives on big cars and don't prefer All wheel drives since they are definitely complicated in its setup and also maintenance. Lesser joints and lesser components to transfer the power to the wheels the better.
2) Cars that give that they promise. For example, a 7 seater should be proper 7 seater and every seat of the 7 seats should have seat belts and full width and thigh support.
cs_rajesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 20:31   #6
BHPian

Just a few days back, I was in search of a car and this is the list of all those things I wanted in my new car. Out of 3 cars that I TDed, Ecosport Titanium scored highest (22/25 points) and I didn't go ahead to check other cars as they all would score less than this. I ended up booking the second Ford car in my family on 31st March.
Attached Thumbnails
What are some features without which you won't buy a car?-screenshot_20190326213753.png  

HarshGtR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 22:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Most important, Memory Seats for self driven folks.

Valet, relatives or friends drive your car, one press of a button and you get the desired seating position.

Auto HVAC, Auto Headlights, Auto Hold, Electric handbrake are others. Once you get used to them, there is no turning back.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 23:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a progressive thing. My first car, all I wanted was 4 wheels and a steering simply because I was a first generation car buyer. 2nd car only non negotiatble feature was power steering. By the third car, the must haves were more refined and that extended to my current car.

Simply put I will probably not buy a car that has less features than my current car. That will be non negotiatable.
Rajeevraj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Frankly speaking, I don't have any such prerequisite list of features for my new car.

I don't know how many will agree with me, but I am a typical Indian. So everything starts with budget. Once I am able to fix a mark, I start searching for most value for money car within that budget limit.

Features are all welcome but if budget isn't permitting, then I have to settle myself within what is available.

But just to keep my post on topic, I won't buy a car without A/C & Power Steering. There is another requirement, but thankfully it is not that widespread. Central Instrument console (Tata Nano, Chevy Spark, Toyota Liva, Tata Vista) is something I may never buy.

Thanks.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th April 2019 at 20:11. Reason: Typo. Tata Manu -> Nano
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:27   #10
BANNED

Owning the polo GT as my first car has made this nit picky (experience with Dad's creta is crap, feels like 5L car when paid 17)
Some small points, there's too many to list. The Germans seem to do it best for my needs.
1. Auto up down on all 4 windows
2. Backlit switches for everything. Polo has it.
3. Auto hold
The car that satisfies almost everything is the Passat in the <35L range except the most important bit, a turbo petrol.
Features like soft touch dash, airbags etc etc are all common place when you spend above 30L so that's not a differentiating factor. It's these little things that matter a lot in the overall owning experience of a car.

Example: 60L Lexus doesn't get backlit power window buttons, while the Crysta in the family has all 4 lit.

Nothing less than anything the polo offers. Even down to the fuel lid being connected to the door lock button.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 6th April 2019 at 00:30.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 01:21   #11
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Tachometer is the most basic feature why I would happily or sadly reject a car. I wouldn't touch the Kwid with a barge pole and rather go with the Alto K10 Vxi. Similarly, I wouldn't go for the Wagon R Vxi and rather compromise with the engine and settle for the Santro just so that I can see the needle dancing to my tune.

Of course, the only things which supersede the tacho are AC and power steering. So at the very core of it, I can live with a car as long as it has these 3 things. However, practically speaking, my list of basic requirements is slightly more elaborate. In terms of decreasing importance-

1. AC
2. Power steering
3. ABS
4. Dual airbags
5. Tachometer
6. Power windows
7. Bluetooth audio
8. Steering mounted audio and telephone controls
Old 6th April 2019, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

My list priority wise -
1. Chiller AC. A must for our hot and humid conditions. Automatic climate control will be a good bonus.
2. Central locking.
3. Airbags and Abs.
4. Power windows.
5. Driver side seat adjustment.
6. Adjustable headrests.
7. Rear parking sensors or Camera.
8. Good Ground clearance.
9. Good music system.
10. Bluetooth audio and controls on steering.

These are essentials. Rest all are good to have but not must to have.
Old 6th April 2019, 18:24   #13
BHPian

My priorities list would include all the creature comfort items such as-
Adjustable Armrest
Adjustable Headrest
Foldable RVMs
Power windows

Having said that I'd prefer not having any electrical bits and gizmos in my car as I prefer more simple mechanical old school stuff.
Old 7th April 2019, 00:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

My existing cars (all petrol) Beat LT 2010, Figo 2010 & Kwid RXE 2016

The most feature rich from above is Beat LT (even more after the mod https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post3286271 (Chevrolet Beat DIY - Unlocking Features in the Speedo console))

My next car should have
  1. 6 + inch touchscreen
  2. Android Auto
  3. 6 airbags
  4. 15 inch or more wheel size
Can live without, DRLS, Projectors, Auto headlamps, Auto wipers, etc.

If Ford India can provide Sync 3 as an option then New Figo TDCi Blu will join the trio.

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2019, 08:53   #15
BHPian

As one of our members has pointed out, car ownership is a progressive thing. Where when we buy the next car we tend to tick the boxes we missed with the earlier model.
If it was me looking at a new vehicle at this point , I currently drive a Creta and Fortuner both of them lack the sunroof and the apple play. Will definitely want a decent sized sunroof and connectivity options in the HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks