Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th May 2019, 22:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

Thanks everyone for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I think this is mainly due to the fact that the Brezza when launched had a competitor in the form of 'Ford' Ecosport and not 'Hyundai' Ecosport. I am pretty sure that the facelift will fix this though.
I hope it does. I'd further like to add that I am completely in favour of parts sharing which MSIL does. Take LED fog lamps for example. I'm sure it costs a bomb and IIRC, its currently imported from Japan. If Maruti decides to give it in more cars, it would eventually become cheaper due to economies of scale, and would also result in better parts availability in future. Added benefit is that even smaller cars can get these features, improving Maruti's feature list compared to the competition. Maruti has got a huge benefit of being a market leader with huge scale of operation. My point is they should use that to their benefit, and eventually its the customer who stands benefited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
OT - if you want features in your Maruti, seems like Baleno is the car to get then.
Which is exactly the point of this thread! What if someone wants a Sedan, or a Crossover and he/she is ready to pay more. Imagine a customer spending 10Lacs on S Cross and still getting lesser features than a 8L Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Rear fog lamps in Xylo but not in Scorpio, what would you say...they all act weird.
Omission of Rear fog lamps is one of the craziest thing which almost all manufacturers are doing. Believe it or not, Maruti has removed rear fog lamps from its entire lineup. Cars like 2nd gen Dzire, Ertiga etc got it initially, only to be removed once they were facelifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Looking at the models discussed above, there could be only one probable cause.

Models like the Baleno, Ignis and S-cross are more like international models that are sold in Japan and Europe.

Whereas Ertiga, Brezza and Ciaz are more like developing market cars, especially Brezza which is an Indian specific model.

Reach adjustable steering wheel, puddle lamps are a given for developed markets, whereas rear A/c vents in small cars are more like an Asian market thing.
Going by that logic, shouldn't S Cross get puddle lamps? Its the most European Maruti you can buy today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I guess its all about price point. They (manufacturers) do their research, and have a fair idea how much customers are ready to pay for a particular product. Accordingly, they add or delete the features in the product.
Agreed, but how does that explain an 8 Lac Rupees Baleno deserving features, which a 10L S Cross doesn't? That's precisely what I wish to highlight. Shouldn't higher price translate to better feature list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What really, really gets my goat is the "rear defogger" which is such an important safety feature.

The base variants of many ~15 lakh rupee cars won't have them. However, the same manufacturer's 7-lakh rupee hatchback / sedan top variant offers that. In such a safety conscious world, how can you leave a 500-rupee rear defogger for the top variant only?
It won't even cost 500 rupees to a MASS Market manufacturer, Sir. I can never justify saving on such important features. Hope Maruti and other manufacturers see this thread and stop being foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
While other car manufacturers go with family face, Maruti goes with family 'power window switches' .
Guess you completely lost the gist of this thread's discussion. This isn't about ranting what's already there. It's about what's missing.

Quote:
It would have been better if they differentiate the different segments with different power window switches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For me, the only functional upgrade would be backlit switches and beyond that, I can't imagine differentiating across segments.
Precisely. A backlit switch would definitely serve a purpose. Other than that, there is no need of differentiating segments with differently shaped power window switches. Different segments can be differentiated on a million other factors, engine, drive-lines etc. In fact, this sharing is a nice thing to do if economies of scale and better availability of spares is concerned. Suppose a 2005 Swift owner needs replacement of those switches, he can easily get them even today without being a liability for anyone. If parts sharing can give better value, then why not!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 08:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Beyond this, I dont understand why this aspect is being harped about all over the place. Do you want bigger switches for bigger cars? Or more chrome for bigger cars?
Would be nicer to have a premium touch and feel to the switch gear. An all window auto up/down system could be the minimum basic they offer in their higher priced cars. At the moment, they only provide a driver window auto up/down.

The problem here is that Maruti takes the same switch gear from the parts bin across their entire offering segment from say 3-4 lakhs to 15-16L. Closely followed by their steering button, the fog lamp switches, head light levelling adjustment, etc.

I think they need to figure out how to differentiate it themselves.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 09:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The problem here is that Maruti takes the same switch gear from the parts bin across their entire offering segment from say 3-4 lakhs to 15-16L. Closely followed by their steering button, the fog lamp switches, head light levelling adjustment, etc.

I think they need to figure out how to differentiate it themselves.
Wow! You read my mind. I missed the word ‘quality’ in my previous comment. The current power window switches feel thin while operating. A better quality (read thick) power window switch would be a welcome move. Also I would love to see thick window glasses, and a slightly thicker horn pad. Another good thing that I would like to see across manufacturers is a proper tyre size starting from lower variants.

Note: I have a WagonR and Swift at home, so I am not a Maruti hater.

Last edited by pavi : 21st May 2019 at 09:29.
pavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 09:29   #34

As I understand, OP is providing evidence that there seems to be a negative correlation between price and features of MSIL cars and that it is inexplicable/surprising. I do agree. I know I am not providing any evidence to back myself but probably there is a positive correlation between the launch recency and the feature list?

S-Cross - 2013 | refreshed in 2018
Baleno - 2015 | refreshed in 2018
Ignis - 2017
Swift/Dzire (considering the major refresh as a fresh launch) - 2018/17

S - Cross, Ciaz, have not undergone major refresh/upgrade like the Swift/Dzire and Baleno? I do believe that a few years down the line, these cars (S-cross may be discontinued) will get a fair amount of gizmos and features in these as well. Arguably, it may be more palatable to incorporate the latest tech into a car when you are re-building quite a bit (from a cost standpoint)
ascension is offline   Reply With Quote