Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 16:39   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 owner coats his car with cow dung to beat the heat

This is really amoosing. That Cowmaflage is really top notch. Herd of "cooling through paint" technology? It is a real thing. Those who criticize it, are udderly wrong.

On a serious note, does it really help? I doubt it.

Last edited by VaidhiR : 4th June 2019 at 16:43. Reason: Added more text and removed auxilliaries.
VaidhiR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 16:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So a couple of vehicles coated with cowdung in a country of 1.3 billion is far more safer then the absolute idiot next to you in his vinyl wrapped car in the present Delhi heat of 40+ C. Which many here don't think is as hazardous or worse.

Vinyl does not stench or pose a public health problem. Vinyl is not used as a fuel in rural households.

On that matter, how is cow dung or urine any better than horse manure or urine? I don't mean to stoke any religious discussion, just want to ask about other real world benefits.
D4d-maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 16:52   #48
BHPian

I don't think science would have much to do with this stunt. Although cow dung is often used in the villages to coat the walls and flooring. i remember someone in my childhood mentioning it was used to cleanse the place. I had giggled then at the concept.
Sadly these stunts are just done for attention and everyone commenting on it seems to be helping this individual. That includes me. The best scenario would be if ppl do not forward or share these kind of news. On a side note, Matt green does look good on the XUV.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 16:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

So, Vinyl stickers became eco friendly on this thread. What else are less hazardous and not deadlier than cow dung?
Old 4th June 2019, 16:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
& what happens when it rains ??
During rain, water gets collected in pot holes and cow dung falls off vehicles. Both together will make our road best fertile land in India. You can also direct this mixture flow in to storm water drain and then in to nearby agricultural fields to help farmers.

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th June 2019 at 16:58.
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:20   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Vinyl does not stench or pose a public health problem. Vinyl is not used as a fuel in rural households.
Dried cowdung does not stench or pose a health problem.

Quote:
On that matter, how is cow dung or urine any better than horse manure or urine? I don't mean to stoke any religious discussion, just want to ask about other real world benefits.
Ease of Availability. Why stop at horse, why not elephant dung. Wait that's religious too.
Spitfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dried cowdung does not stench or pose a health problem.

Ease of Availability. Why stop at horse, why not elephant dung. Wait that's religious too.
Unless you count a host of pathogens like eg tetanus as a problem.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/660...32713ece44.pdf
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:35   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I remember how, in the 80s & early 90s, one would see Padminis & Ambassadors with some kind of mat on their roof to keep it cool. Owners would even pour water on them. But then, the cars back then had very poor air-conditioners (or no air-conditioners at all).

With even entry-level cars today boasting powerful air-con systems, is there really a need for this kind of nonsense? And in this sunfilm-less era, if the gentleman really wanted to keep his cabin cooler, magnetic sunshades would be far less of a headache - related thread (Magnetic Sun Shades for windows - An alternative to sunfilm?):
Mahindra XUV500 owner coats his car with cow dung to beat the heat-img_20140324_173335.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remember how, in the 80s & early 90s, one would see Padminis & Ambassadors with some kind of mat on their roof to keep it cool. Owners would even pour water on them. But then, the cars back then had very poor air-conditioners (or no air-conditioners at all).
That is a principle called evaporative cooling - using the wet khus or simply coir if you're feeling cheap mat and the drop in temperature provided by evaporation of the wetness to cool the car roof.

Amby and Padmini already being rust magnets, a little more on the roof wasn't as much of an issue at all.

Cowdung doesn't cool anything at all.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:43   #55
BHPian

I changed my mind about the whole thing. I think that this *particular* person is just doing this for media / social media coverage:

1) to promote his business (note the stickering on the rear glass), and/or
2) to feel good (what makes TikTok popular)
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So a couple of vehicles coated with cowdung in a country of 1.3 billion is far more safer then the absolute idiot next to you in his vinyl wrapped car in the present Delhi heat of 40+ C. Which many here don't think is as hazardous or worse.
Vinyl Wrap is equally stupid in terms of how it looks and the risks it entails. But I don't quite get the point you're making about "x does a stupid thing. y does a stupid thing. But people are calling y stupid. Go call x stupid please"

The one thing I can say is Vinyl film doesn't carry harmful bacteria and other pathogens the way cowdung does.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 18:25   #57
BHPian

Someone sent this to me on Whatsapp

Mahindra XUV500 owner coats his car with cow dung to beat the heat-inkedimageuploadedbyteambhp1559652889.661097_li.jpg

I really don't know what to say about these guys.

Last edited by akunchala : 4th June 2019 at 18:30.
akunchala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 18:41   #58
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2019 at 21:19.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th June 2019, 19:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I changed my mind about the whole thing. I think that this *particular* person is just doing this for media / social media coverage:

1) to promote his business (note the stickering on the rear glass), and/or
2) to feel good (what makes TikTok popular)
Of course he is doing it for fame. Problem is the wide Media coverage it gets without a hint of humour, as it has elicited in a sensible forum like ours. It is reported as if this is a great innovation based on our ancient knowledge
CoolFire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:27   #60
BHPian

Cow dung is now increasingly becoming the material of choice for a variety of uses starting from medicine. There has been an enlightenment of sorts that has happened to a lot of folks of late regarding the infinite benefits of bovine excreta.

It is without doubt a material of choice for various applications several decades ago when dung was probably the best possible material available. For example it was used for flooring in old houses. But that was because no other viable and cost effective material was available at that time, and not because it provided "health benefits" as some people now claim.

The world has moved on and we don't need to go back to the era when we lived half civilized. Perhaps if some people do not stuff their skulls with too much dung, they would be able to think and act better.
blacksport is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks