Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2007, 11:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

tata cars Have Tamilnadu passing too. [TN-??]

Last edited by tushky : 24th March 2007 at 11:53.
Old 25th March 2007, 12:23   #47
BHPian

the new sumo may be called phoenix
Old 4th April 2007, 10:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

some more pics guys. new tata sumo will have dicor engine i think. coz noise is same as tata safari.

Old 4th April 2007, 10:46   #49
Team-BHP Support

Gud find once again, Tushky.
The new Sumo appears a lot better over the one its replacing.
Old 4th April 2007, 20:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

great job tushky,

This looks much better, than the previous sumo.
Old 4th April 2007, 21:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Great job tushky

anybody has any idea on when its going to be launched
Old 4th April 2007, 21:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

And if you look closely on the latest pic the rim is that of a safari and not a scorpio and alloy to is from the safari 4x4
Old 4th April 2007, 21:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

thanks friends. look at the rear bumpar. stylish than the current simple one.
Old 6th April 2007, 02:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

I agree that this looks better than the one it replaces but, I dont find much difference dimensionally or structurally. Could be that the panels and doors are completely new. Interestingly this still has the short wheelbase with the large overhangs which has been the undoing of the Sumo at many instances at high speed. However, if they did that, they could not justify the Safari!
Old 6th April 2007, 03:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Front grille looks like the TL Sprint being sold abroad. Looks like it's going to be the new 'face' for the lower end of the Tata spectrum. ORVMs are off the present Safari. Looks like they will have space for rear fog lights, as is evident from the blank in the rear bumper of the second pic.

Rear or D pillar has been completely disguised. Exhaust canister is mounted the same way as the latest batch of Safaris. I think they are running the 3.0 Dicor. Also looks like they are testing full-load versions, with different trim levels, etc, from looking at the different alloys and the running board.

And is it just me, or does the rear still have leaf-springs?
Old 6th April 2007, 09:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yes,rear still have leaf-springs
Old 6th April 2007, 10:09   #57
adc
Senior - BHPian

new sumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Yes,rear still have leaf-springs
again great first pictures from your side, thanks a lot for your efforts. This sumo [phoenix] definitely look more personal than the taxi sumo. Do let us know how it looked when you saw it in flesh, meaning though we can understand by the photos, does it look better than what has come out in the snaps.

I almost bought the dicor this march but have held back with a lot of mental effort just to check out this phoenix and to see how it overuns the safari, particularly with the new 2.2 engine [definitely will hate the idea of a sumo like vehicle overtaking my new safari having the old 3.0 engine].

But with leafsprings and with such a big overhang it looks stability issues will be there - did you get a chance to speak with the test driver about any technical aspects?

Again thanks much for those snaps
Old 6th April 2007, 11:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

thanks ADC. New sumo really look handsome and macho that the current one. noise is much better than the current Truck like sound.interior is almost same as victa. a bit changed. i asked many times about technical aspects. but i got nothing.. it will not have rear spare wheel. tail lamps look like indigo.and please go and buy safari yar. or just wait and buy 2.2 lit. safari. sumo can never take place of Safari.
Old 6th April 2007, 11:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Even thought it makes the tail heavy I always feel the spare wheel on the tailgate is what SUV chracter is all about. Look how flat the Scorpio is without the spare wheel. I hope Tata stick to that. The new Sumo does seem to have some rounded edges compared to the earlier bread box design.

And I seriously hope they plonk in a DICOR engine.
Old 6th April 2007, 13:56   #60
adc
Senior - BHPian

new sumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
thanks ADC. New sumo really look handsome and macho that the current one. noise is much better than the current Truck like sound.interior is almost same as victa. a bit changed. i asked many times about technical aspects. but i got nothing.. it will not have rear spare wheel. tail lamps look like indigo.and please go and buy safari yar. or just wait and buy 2.2 lit. safari. sumo can never take place of Safari.
Yes definitely a safari is a safari, but with the 2.2 starting at 10.5+ lakhs, most probably, this is way beyond me. The phoenix most probably would be 5L so even living with the image downturn I do save around 2.5L at least. Also as I said a sumo just going pass by the safari and cutting across would not be quite pleasing.

But again with leafsprings the whole point of a new improved sumo with better handling is just out of question. It looks like I may eventually end up buying the 3 L dicor LX because basically my need is good highway vehicle with stability at 100+ kph - and it looks only safari can give such. However if by any remote chance the new sumo comes out with link suspension then the stability issue may change, though as you have seen it is highly unlikely.

Anyway we can just talk as much as possible now, everthing will only be cleared up in the next coming 3-4 months or so, with both the sumo and the 2.2 out - just have to hold on till then.

Again thanks for all your efforts on the new sumo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks