Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 07:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 17,030
Thanked: 39,886 Times
Default Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed

TATA HEXA Likely to be phased out in 2020.

Seven-seat Tata Harrier to replace Hexa.

The Hexa SUV will be phased out before BS6 emission norms kick in.

Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed-1.jpg
Quote:
Launched in January 2017, the Hexa is set to face the axe as its 2.2-litre diesel will not be made available for passenger vehicle applications post BS6. Although Tata has chosen to upgrade the 2.2-litre diesel to meet the stricter regulations, the unit will only be used for commercial applications
Quote:
Tata Motors believes the 2.0-litre diesel engine in its portfolio will serve well for the larger models in its passenger vehicle (PV) portfolio
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2019 at 07:32.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:19   #2
BHPian
 
padmrajravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 595
Thanked: 2,074 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA HEXA Likely to be phased out in 2020.

Seven-seat Tata Harrier to replace Hexa.

The Hexa SUV will be phased out before BS6 emission norms kick in.


That makes sense. What I don't understand is why they keep inventing new brand names. Names like Harrier can't even be used internationally because of copyright issues. Why can't the 7 seven seater Harrier be new generation Safari or Hexa ? Marquee brands are made of sub brands which live across tens of years - Like Land Cruiser or Discovery or even Corolla or Swift. Brand management and product life cycle management is some thing Tata still needs to get better at .

Last edited by padmrajravi : 4th July 2019 at 10:24.
padmrajravi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:20   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
giri1.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,254
Thanked: 2,370 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA HEXA Likely to be phased out in 2020.
So Tata's trend of washing their hands off models that don't sell well continues! People who think it will be extremely difficult to make this model BS6/Crashtest compliant should know that M&M's Thar has been revived to meet the requirements! Unlike Mahindra, Tata may not even need a new platform, they just need a new engine that can fit into Hexa!

Can't imagine owners who paid 20 big ones struggling to sell it in the used market.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:28   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 2,246
Thanked: 4,943 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
So Tata's trend of washing their hands off models that don't sell well continues! People who think it will be extremely difficult to make this model BS6/Crashtest compliant should know that M&M's Thar has been revived to meet the requirements! Unlike Mahindra, Tata may not even need a new platform, they just need a new engine that can fit into Hexa!

Can't imagine owners who paid 20 big ones struggling to sell it in the used market.
From Autocar's earlier post Hexa doesnot seem to comply with pedestrian protection. This warrants some structural changes and likely reason why 7 seater harrier makes more economic sense. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...forever-411363
PrideRed is offline  
Old 4th July 2019, 11:00   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
So Tata's trend of washing their hands off models that don't sell well continues! People who think it will be extremely difficult to make this model BS6/Crashtest compliant should know that M&M's Thar has been revived to meet the requirements! Unlike Mahindra, Tata may not even need a new platform, they just need a new engine that can fit into Hexa!

Can't imagine owners who paid 20 big ones struggling to sell it in the used market.

Pardon my ignorance, but would it not be the case with all the BS6 non-compliant vehicles ?

Even if the manufactures make the new models compliant with the latest emission norms, the people with the older models will find it difficult to sell their cars.
arundeepbv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 12:33   #6
BHPian
 
SpideyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 208
Thanked: 837 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Saw this article today which confirms Harrier 7 seater Buzzard/Cassini replaces the Hexa.

Quote:
The seven-seater Tata Harrier, or the Buzzard, as it was previewed at the Geneva Motor Show 2019, has been one of the highly awaited models from the carmaker and is scheduled for launch in early 2020. But in addition to expanding the Harrier range, the model will also replace the Tata Hexa, which will bow out as a result of the shift to the more stringent BS6 emission norms.
Source

I couldn't find the thread on 7 seater open, hence posting it here.

It's very sad to see a good product getting axed. I personally feel Tata should've sticked with Hexa. Of course there may be many factors considered before making this decision. Hope Buzzard/Cassini can cross the standards set by the Hexa by all means.
SpideyBoy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 12:49   #7
BHPian
 
rovingeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 337
Thanked: 900 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Its adios Hexa then. I still can't believe I'm writing this as just a couple months back I was test driving this awesome car and went very close to buying it.

Somehow, TATA's market response to competition (Hector/Seltos etc.) and to regulatory changes seems to be putting me off a bit. I'm just getting the feeling that TaMo is this fat elephant that just seems to be unable to react to anything and lacks any kind of vision at all.

Its just my personal opinion, but I feel TaMo should stick to making commercial vehicles only here on out. They've destroyed investor wealth enough and have broken the hearts of their followers and patrons enough number of times and in enough number of ways.

Again, just my personal opinion.
rovingeye is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 13:38   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,302
Thanked: 4,262 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
From Autocar's earlier post Hexa doesnot seem to comply with pedestrian protection. This warrants some structural changes and likely reason why 7 seater harrier makes more economic sense. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...forever-411363
Pardon my ignorance on this topic.

I was wondering how the stone-age Bolero, the Tempo Trax or the new Thar can meet the pedestrian safety norms but the Hexa in its current form, doesn't meet the norms. From the spy images, it seems the new Bolero hardly has any changes to its body shell.

Can anyone shed some light what the new norms require?
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RJ-02,DL,MH-12
Posts: 1,244
Thanked: 1,822 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
From Autocar's earlier post Hexa doesnot seem to comply with pedestrian protection. This warrants some structural changes and likely reason why 7 seater harrier makes more economic sense. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...forever-411363

If this information is to be believed, how come TML engineers never thought of it before launch of product? It is not Sumo which was launched several years ago; its Hexa, an almost new product in the Tata lineup - is there no one accountable for such goof ups in the company? How come even the TML shareholders are not questioning such blatant mistakes in the AGM of TML?
i74js is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 14:11   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Raipur
Posts: 224
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

How many numbers of Hexa i TML selling though? Regardless of how good the car is if the numbers don't show it then the company and shareholders don't care.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 14:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,870
Thanked: 11,925 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Its adios Hexa then. I still can't believe I'm writing this as just a couple months back I was test driving this awesome car and went very close to buying it.

Somehow, TATA's market response to competition (Hector/Seltos etc.) and to regulatory changes seems to be putting me off a bit. I'm just getting the feeling that TaMo is this fat elephant that just seems to be unable to react to anything and lacks any kind of vision at all.

Its just my personal opinion, but I feel TaMo should stick to making commercial vehicles only here on out. They've destroyed investor wealth enough and have broken the hearts of their followers and patrons enough number of times and in enough number of ways.

Again, just my personal opinion.
+1 really. I'm one of those disappointed fanatic Tata Motors patrons. So fanatic that my 3 year old son swears by the name of Tata motors and prohibits me from owning any other branded car. And I confess that I walked into a Renault showroom last weekend to inquire about the REALLY old Duster 4x4 because of apathy shown by Tata showrooms regarding my queries about the Safari Storme. Something that seems to be deeply embedded into their showroom staff's DNA.

Really they should quit the passenger vehicle segment for good since they are totally out of sync with realities & with Mahindra doing a great job, Tata brand is really being taken to the cleaners now.

Hexa
Aria
Winger
Sumo Grande MK2 / MOVUS
Safari
Magic / Iris
Tigor
Zest

There are simply too many products that were not cooked or marketed properly & were a huge waste of resources & classic examples of lost opportunities while competition kept selling inferiorly built / designed / finished products in exponentially higher volumes.

Any new car enters the market - a Tata car always is the first to take the beating & lose volumes. Doesn't TML have any person who does the root cause analysis for this? Or there really is no target to anyone about market sales figures / profit made by the company?

A supreme product like Hexa wasted due to incorrect market positioning, too much premium features which could have been properly analysed & priced before it became a failure in the market.

Now the Cassini to replace it? weird. Its not even from the same body style / segment for god's sake! Sadly its not the first blunder of this kind and surely not the last either.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th July 2019 at 15:01.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:58   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
So Tata's trend of washing their hands off models that don't sell well continues! People who think it will be extremely difficult to make this model BS6/Crashtest compliant should know that M&M's Thar has been revived to meet the requirements! Unlike Mahindra, Tata may not even need a new platform, they just need a new engine that can fit into Hexa!

Can't imagine owners who paid 20 big ones struggling to sell it in the used market.
I sold my Aria recently for 3.6L with just 75k on the odo. Just one year back I had offers for 5L.

I warned many friends against buying Hexa but some went ahead anyways. Once it is discontinued the resale value will plummet. Both are good vehicles, the Aria withstood bad and non existent roads during its life and continued to provide an excellent ride. I have nothing against the vehicle itself. Hexa has had better sales than Aria for sure but still but it makes no sense to keep a discontinued vehicle for long.
gb97ce6 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:13   #13
BHPian
 
SpideyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 208
Thanked: 837 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

There are simply too many products that were not cooked or marketed properly & were a huge waste of resources & classic examples of lost opportunities while competition kept selling inferiorly built / designed / finished products in exponentially higher volumes.

Any new car enters the market - a Tata car always is the first to take the beating & lose volumes. Doesn't TML have any person who does the root cause analysis for this? Or there really is no target to anyone about market sales figures / profit made by the company?

A supreme product like Hexa wasted due to incorrect market positioning, too much premium features which could have been properly analysed & priced before it became a failure in the market.

Now the Cassini to replace it? weird. Its not even from the same body style / segment for god's sake! Sadly its not the first blunder of this kind and surely not the last either.
Just couldn't agree more with you on this. Hexa is a definitely a fantastic revival of Aria from their stable. It competes with some of the finest automatics out there. When I go to the service center for my Nexon, I keep hearing that Tata's new products especially Hexa and Nexon made their job very easier. They say customers hardly come with issues which are challenging even after driving for thousands of kilometres.

I believe Hexa has almost everything to take over MUV from a segment beyond too. Expected it to gain exponentially but it just worsened month by month. This is definitely poor marketing strategy from Tata Motors. Throw this in Maruti's stable one can only imagine the monthly numbers it brings in.

With no Hexa or Safari, Tata lost their forte. It may not be showed in numbers but they showed us some true characters. Again, Cassini may not taste the success unless they do some brainstorming with their marketing strategy and taking it into the people very strongly apart from getting everything right. I'm very sure Hexa was neglected on this front.
SpideyBoy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:51   #14
BHPian
 
Garth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
From Autocar's earlier post Hexa doesnot seem to comply with pedestrian protection.
Shocked to read this. Its a brand new product and it does not meet pedestrian safety norms?
C'mon TML get your act together.
Garth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:53   #15
BHPian
 
Slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 331
Thanked: 336 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
...
Its just my personal opinion, but I feel TaMo should stick to making commercial vehicles only here on out. They've destroyed investor wealth enough and have broken the hearts of their followers and patrons enough number of times and in enough number of ways.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Couldn't agree more, If you cannot market a fantastic vehicle like Hexa something serious is wrong with the team, and unless there is some drastic action it's going to repeat till the end. Tata will keep launching really well made, technically sound vehicles and shutting them down in a couple of years. I own a Zest, I know.

I had heard a quote about TaMo during Ratan TATA's time.

Only people passionate about Tata Vehicles are Ratan Tata & the Customers.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 4th July 2019 at 16:55.
Slick is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks