Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 09:11   #121
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhejit View Post
Tarik, on your point on hybrids versus proper EVs, I think the idea was that supporting hybrids would actually prevent manufacturers from pushing hard to develop full fledged EVs. It is only a matter of time. I suppose India became a full hybrid market, I would imagine it would be very difficult for it to then transition to EVs.
I mostly agree with what you say, but i firmly believe that hybrid's are a stepping stone towards full EVs. This is more true for developing economies like India where availability of electricity is an issue. Hybrids could have been given a free hand for at least 5-7 years, before jumping to EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hybrids help in an increase of mileage but not much beyond that. They spent a lot of time developing hybrids and Tesla came out of nowhere and instead of catching up, they are trying to defend Hybrids over EV.
Very true that automakers like Toyota have been caught off guard by the likes of Tesla but that does not take away the advantage of hybrids for developing countries. Give us a proper hybrid with 30-40% more fuel efficiency at 10-15% price delta over pure IC engine vehicles, and there will be many takers. A quick google search shows that EU accounted for around 250,000 BEVs in a market of over 15 million units (2018 data). Those economies are far more developed than us and yet the off take for EVs is so low. I am not denying that EVs are better and are bound to grow. My limited point is, Hybrids would have made better sense (and better adoption) for the next 5-7 years (or may be 10) and then EVs could have taken over from there.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:39   #122
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs

This things looks like a toned down version of a 'Midnight Club' MPV, so much bling! Though quite luxurious and a proper hybrid (with no help now under FAME II), the price is still staggering. Toyota's YTD Dec FY19-20 figures in this segment (UV5) are at par with the previous financial year-126 units against 119.
Pretty sure it would be doing quite well in the Chinese market where MPVs are being used by government officials (to carry them and their entourage in luxury). Perhaps a good option for E-class/5-series buyers who want a portable office.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 18:09   #123
BHPian

I had mentioned earlier in this thread and will stick to it. The Vellfire is certainly not worth the money they are asking!! It could well touch a crore in a city like Bangalore. I rode in them quite a bit in Malaysia and it is at best as comfortable as the carnival. To me atleast, it is nothing more than a longer innova with a better seat management.
veyron_head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 05:20   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I mostly agree with what you say, but i firmly believe that hybrid's are a stepping stone towards full EVs. This is more true for developing economies like India where availability of electricity is an issue. Hybrids could have been given a free hand for at least 5-7 years, before jumping to EVs.
The problem with this is, it does not address the chicken and egg problem between charging infrastructure and electric vehicles. Nor does it help in customers getting over range anxiety, awareness of EV, both of which act as a detriment to EV adoption. I don't think hybrids are a necessary transition between ICE and EV as they don't solve any issue which is holding back EV adoption in India.

Also, Toyota after missing the EV bus, is cheating customers calling their hybrids, self-charging electric vehicles (EU has banned them from promoting their hybrids as EV) .
Raghuwire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 20:34   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Vellfire draws the attention of Movie stars, white colour delivered to Mohanlal in Kerala.

Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs-toyotavellfiremohanlalactorbuys3.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs-toyotavellfiremohanlalactorbuys2.jpg

Link

Mod Note: Our Toyota Vellfire Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd April 2020 at 13:58. Reason: Adding report link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks