Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 12:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harrier: 5 year / unlimited km extended warranty coming as Tata tries to revive sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post

- All disc brake setup (this segment desires it even if the stopping power of present setup is enough. Harrier looks odd-one-out in this segment)

- An option of AWD (if they have used JLR chassis, they had all the possibilities to offer an AWD for this SUV)

- Option of TC (If they can source engine from FIAT, they could have sourced the TC too, there would have been takers for a 2 litre diesel with a proven old school TC)
Let me reply to you

1. Harrier most likely will not get the rear disc setup not at least for the forseeable future but the cassini will.

2. Like I have mentioned in another thread again the answer is No.

3. Hyundai sourced TC is coming in a few months time with BS6 engine.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:30   #47
BHPian

Re: Harrier: 5 year / unlimited km extended warranty coming as Tata tries to revive sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.. an automatic gearbox (not offering this was really stupid) ...
I see this as a major reason. I know 5-6 potential customer waiting for an AT model. They will most likely shift toward MG, if an AT version is not launched within 1-2 months.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Let me reply to you

1. Harrier most likely will not get the rear disc setup not at least for the forseeable future but the cassini will.

2. Like I have mentioned in another thread again the answer is No.

3. Hyundai sourced TC is coming in a few months time with BS6 engine.
This is my ask buddy and may be expectation of several other forum members. So this is just a feedback for the product / manufacturer.

Trust you are not the official spokesperson for TML in India; therefore please do not use the terms like "answer is no".

Let the manufacturer have feedback, introspect and take an informed decision.

Last edited by i74js : 9th September 2019 at 14:41.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 15:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my ask buddy and may be expectation of several other forum members. So this is just a feedback for the product / manufacturer.

Trust you are not the official spokesperson for TML in India; therefore please do not use the terms like "answer is no".

Let the manufacturer have feedback, introspect and take an informed decision.
Hey I am definitely not the official spokesperson for TML but I have my sources. That's why I said that Harrier platform is not getting a 4WD system for the foreseeable future. I am not saying it will never get one, but if it does get one it won't happen before its midlife refresh.
Old 9th September 2019, 18:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
The famed Hyundai quality is a myth. My 2014 Verna's seat chassis(both front seats) are covered in rust, car had a coolant leak right from day 1, the dreaded steering column rattling issue is also present from the first day & there is a constant squeaking sound from the driver side c pillar & its some welding issue which I understand is present in mostly all cars. For both the steering and c pillar issue i didnt bother to follow it up with Hyundai as the service centre denies there is even any sound. The plastic, fit finish etc which has been glorified since years is good no doubt but its just that, good not anything out of the world. My 6 lakh Tiago has overall better quality interiors than the million rupee Verna. Those who say that the Harrier's interior quality dosent even match that of the Santro are either saying without seeing the car or just plain ignorant. How is a manufacturer able to get away with such grave issues and still sell thousands of cars?

Sorry to say but according to me Hyundai is the darling of Team Bhp. They make what i like to call 'make up wali cars'. They focus only on the interiors and gadgets and that's where the good things end. i have driven the santro, i20, verna, elite i20 and all of them had pathetic driving dynamics.

The niggles in the Harrier shouldn't have occurred in the first place and the manufacturer should be criticized but saying that its a write off is not done. Car sales in our country don't work like some of the members here think. If Harrier's sales have nosedived because of niggles and quality issues how come a new entrant like MG receive 28k bookings for a Chinese junk car which which has been involved in numerous breakdowns not niggles or teething problems but complete breakdown in the middle of the road.

The 'aam junta' is concerned with 'Sunroof, touchscreen, air purifier, car starting with remote' and not with ride, handling, safety or mechanicals and that's why brands like MS, Hyundai rule here and new ones like MG are received well

I second the above post! My better half's family are Hyundai fans for a decade. From the humble Santro to Verna and now Creta. Their explanation barring 1st Gen Santro- Hyundai cars look modern, steering is light, easy to use. That's about it! The two year old Creta has cabin noise from I don't know where, driver side door is showing rust, and the refinement of smooth infamous 1.6 CRDi is gone. It sounds as rough as a VW diesel engine. Every car has it's pros and cons, but like trinity said poor Tata gets a extra bashing, and based on 10 min test drives or just walking into a showroom and checking out the car? Everyone thinks they are either Mat from Carwow or Jezza absolutely not!
P.S. New Honda , Toyota , Skoda and VW are not forgotten in this. I don't know if any one has noticed all the Suzuki cars when you roll up or down the window the door pad breathes.
RevJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 19:04   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
I don't know if any one has noticed all the Suzuki cars when you roll up or down the window the door pad breathes.
Because Suzuki cars are so much ‘alive’ in the Indian market

Note: pun intended/pun not intended, the way you consume it.
Old 9th September 2019, 20:00   #52
BHPian

Why don't Tata do its homework properly and learn from past mistakes? Being an Indian company it must know that todays customer is much more knowledgeable. Add to that the reviews and comparisons by various experts on YouTube.
Maruti and Hyundai are very good at this specially Hyundai.
Warranty is secondary first comes the product.
Harrier has that potential to be segment best but no auto box, rust on disc brakes, no proper tuning and NVH of same engine used in comparison to Hector are turning back the potential customers.
Old 9th September 2019, 22:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hey I am definitely not the official spokesperson for TML but I have my sources. That's why I said that Harrier platform is not getting a 4WD system for the foreseeable future.
There is nothing called as Harrier platform.

Its engineered Land Rover D8 platform; Tata's nomenclature - OmegaArc
Old 9th September 2019, 22:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing called as Harrier platform.

Its engineered Land Rover D8 platform; Tata's nomenclature - OmegaArc
By Harrier platform I meant all the body styles that will be launched on the D8 platform in the future. Anyways enough of arguing just saying that "as per my sources" no 4WD for the foreseeable future.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 22:26   #55
BHPian

I visited the showroom for a friend reg. Harrier.. gimmicks aside like that wierd hand brake, I found it to be a decent package. Also I own the Nexon which is a very vfm product. Harrier didn't feel like VFM at all.

It didn't help that product was more of a beta version, but the biggest thing that is a non starter is the lack of auto variant.. people spending 20 big ones are ok to spend one or two more for comfort. Auto gear box is absolutely a neccesity in today's cities and screams upmarket unlike the sun roofs or the like..

I don't have a problem with Tata as a brand and my perceived ease of maintenance is loads better than the VW group with insanely priced spares.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 22:56   #56

I visited a Tata showroom to test drive the Tigor JTP and the product that was getting the most attention was the Harrier. I think the car still has the desirability factor. However, even my friend who was very impressed with the design and the space of the Harrier peremptorily declared that he would not spend 15 lakhs on a Tata car.

Public perception is indeed quite stubborn. I had shortlisted a Ford car in my search for a petrol hatch. Every single person I spoke to warned me about the high service cost and I had to sweat a lot to convince my family of Ford's recent attempts in this department. It takes quite a lot of consistent good work in terms products, sales and service to undo the harm that a bad image has done to a brand. Tata might do it in the next few years but it needs some real solid work from its QC, sales and service departments.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th September 2019 at 22:59. Reason: Adding paragraph break. Thanks
Spacetime is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 01:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Tata motors should learn. I know a few owners of Tiagos, Tigors and Hexa. They are satisfied (for the most part) with their vehicle. My friend remarked that the Harrier is going to have a similar fate as the Aria- not because of the market positioning, but more due to lack of finesse.

I'd call it a major SCREW-UP if you don't launch a premium SUV with an auto-box. Auto boxes have become the norm in urban India.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 01:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Its high time Tata ditch that ugly badge and design something modern. That badge gives me PTSD because it reminds me of their horrible products from 2 decades ago. They finally managed to build something that isn't sharing body lines with the Indica but that logo has to go. Its mostly associated with Tata's failures and not success.

Rebranding should be high on Tatas priorities if they want customers to willingly spend 20 lakh plus on a Tata badge
Nithesh_M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 01:56   #59
BHPian

The Harrier surely has road presence and is definitely a head turner. A 5 year/unlimited km extended warranty confirms Tata's faith and commitment towards the product. The lack of an Automatic and some niggles is surely hurting their sales figure. Tata should sort out the issues soon and have strict quality checks on the final product. I really want to see the Harrier increase its sales figure.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 08:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Harrier should have been launched with 5 year warranty from the beginning. And a 3 year maintenance. They did it when the Zest was launched. And the Zest had some success in the initial days of its launch.

When they came up with a very good steering setup 5 years ago for Zest, how come they messed it with Harrier?

A potential customer need to be assured that even if some thing goes wrong, they have a sympathetic and dedicated team of engineers to rectify the defect. Of course, much more dedication is needed at the QC level.

Tata should take a breather using the current slow down and cutting the production and sort out all the niggles and bigger problems the Harrier faces. Most problems seem to be concerned with quality of materials used in fir and finish with an exception of steering. Make time and effort to sort out all the problems and launch the vehicle with BS VI engine.

Last edited by simplyself : 10th September 2019 at 08:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks