Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harrier: 5 year / unlimited km extended warranty coming as Tata tries to revive sales

This should've been done during launch, now what's the use when all the hype has died down !?

I had been suggesting Tata to offer long term warranty as a confidence building measure since a few years including last year when I booked the Harrier online.

If this was offered at launch, SO many would've happily accepted even their "Beta version" Harrier during that launch hype.

I'm not saying it's a lost cause now, but if they're expecting big numbers then IMO they should temper it down to 5-7% additional sales.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th September 2019 at 15:06.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:25   #17
BHPian

Harrier is flop now what ever they do. Tata is not associated with quality and ppl not ready to put 20 lakh in Tata.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Harrier: 5 year / unlimited km extended warranty coming as Tata tries to revive sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
If Tata can provide same levels of quality in the Harrier as that of a Rs 5 lakh Santro, it will sell more than 2000 copies per month easily.
There is only one scheme for success - Quality.
Have you been in a Harrier for more than 10 minutes or so personally?
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 18:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Have you been in a Harrier for more than 10 minutes or so personally?
Yes, for just about 10 minutes, didn't get to drive it though.

Trust me, If Tata sorts out the Quality control issues (Steering, vibrations, handles falling off etc), I would be the first in line to get one.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 18:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Yes, for just about 10 minutes, didn't get to drive it though.
Then I'm a bit surprised that you compare the quality with a Santro. I guess you were being sarcastic. The overall quality of Harrier is quite good. The handle falling off you mentioned - is a removable piece that covers the backup keyhole cover. So I still expect to learn that it was simply not properly fixed after it was removed by somebody. Steering is being reported as okay by most users now.

Its not primarily quality, its sheer lack of vital features thats killing the car in a market where head units and esim connectivity matter more than mechanical capability for the average buyer.

And by the way off topic, a high number of users are consistently reporting AMT failure at 10k kms or so in the Santro. So much for brand Hyundai...
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 18:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I'm a bit surprised that you compare the quality with a Santro. I guess you were being sarcastic. The overall quality of Harrier is quite good. The handle falling off you mentioned - is a removable piece that covers the backup keyhole cover. So I still expect to learn that it was simply not properly fixed after it was removed by somebody. Steering is being reported as okay by most users now.

Its not primarily quality, its sheer lack of vital features thats killing the car in a market where head units and esim connectivity matter more than mechanical capability for the average buyer.

And by the way off topic, a high number of users are consistently reporting AMT failure at 10k kms or so in the Santro. So much for brand Hyundai...
There is no doubt that Tata has tried to use good quality materials all over the car.
However, the way those things are put together, like these misses during QC etc, break consumer confidence in an otherwise excellent car.

There are still many users (myself included) who value mechanical simplicity, robustness and reliability rather than HU and other fancy stuff.
For me atleast, I don't see any issues in the Equipment list.

I wasn't aware of AMT issues in Santro till now, if it is true, then its an eye opener for me.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 19:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Its this perception about quality that is haunting TML forever and it seems there is no cure for it! And then - they are not going the vital extra mile that they need to go to get the house in order once and for all. Half baking the Harrier was an unforgivable offence in same lines.

We have a separate dedicated thread of sorts where significant number of users of Hyundai i20 Elite/Active and the god sent Creta have reported paint peeling off huge areas of body like vinyl wrap! Never does that get considered as a "quality hit or miss" / "poor quality control" / "sub par user experience". Why? Because Its a Hyundai...

Link - News Article

Link - TBHP thread from June 2019 for colour peel

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th September 2019 at 19:17.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 20:07   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Its this perception about quality that is haunting TML forever and it seems there is no cure for it! And then - they are not going the vital extra mile that they need to go to get the house in order once and for all. Half baking the Harrier was an unforgivable offence in same lines.

We have a separate dedicated thread of sorts where significant number of users of Hyundai i20 Elite/Active and the god sent Creta have reported paint peeling off huge areas of body like vinyl wrap! Never does that get considered as a "quality hit or miss" / "poor quality control" / "sub par user experience". Why? Because Its a Hyundai...
Not just Hyundai, even the famed Toyota gets away with it, Maruti, Honda, and Mahindra etc everyone gets away with it but not Tata.

Sadly if it is Tata, it always gets extra bashing. While other manufacturers enjoy benefit of doubt initially and even post the confirmation of the niggles/issues they will never get bashed to the magnitude to which Tata gets it. And there is no cure for this phenomenon as the negative impressions are strongly etched in minds of the public. I posted (MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L) the same in the MG Hector thread.

Impressions good or bad, won't go away that easily.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 20:18   #24
BHPian

Tata missed a trick here, had they given the same extended warranty at launch the sales numbers would have been pretty different. (MG guys did it right)
Once the launch has been botched difficult for to get back consumer confidence.

Buts lets hope for the best. I liked the vehicle it was really spacious.
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 22:01   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To put things in perspective, I think this is a one off case as far as Hyundai is concerned, you are free to share more issues, but the numbers would never match Tata, will they?

I don't think BHPians have spoken lightly in case of Hyundai. Hyundai or any other manufacturer isn't a repeat offender with varied issues like Tata.

And not just Team-BHP, the consumers too are rewarding Tata, else, below 20L, nothing and absolutely nothing is as good as Harrier, but I hope you know why its sales hasn't picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Not just Hyundai, even the famed Toyota gets away with it, Maruti, Honda, and Mahindra etc everyone gets away with it but not Tata.
I have been vocal against MG on the Harrier thread and I am not recommending it to anyone.

Link (Tata Harrier : Official Review)

You can please check the forum that if there are issues with any manufacturer, they have gotten enough slack, Toyota for spiral cables, airbags not popping, Honda with build quality and water ingress issue in diesel, Maruti, solely because of its build quality.

Before pointing fingers, please do a cross-check and if there are issues, it will be pointed out, be it any marque.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 22:44   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You can please check the forum that if there are issues with any manufacturer, they have gotten enough slack, Toyota for spiral cables, airbags not popping, Honda with build quality and water ingress issue in diesel, Maruti, solely because of its build quality.

Before pointing fingers, please do a cross-check and if there are issues, it will be pointed out, be it any marque.
Well, I am not saying that other OEMs are spared, I am saying that the criticality is altogether different in case of Tata.

This is not pointing fingers but saying what I felt, we might have different opinions, let's rest it here before the thread goes off the track.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 23:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Fingers? At whom? Who pointed? There seems to be some misunderstanding.

When niggles are reported, all of a sudden it means loss of sales for a car like Harrier. How many are sold? How many have reported actual issues? Do we know that ratio? I'm sure, no! Yet Tata takes the bashing in sales and others keep selling in high numbers. I'm not talking about fanboys and critics on tbhp. I'm talking about customer perception in general. People don't by a 5Star safety rated Tata car (not Harrier) because it's door handle cap may be fixed incorrectly. And they are okay to buy a tin can instead? What logic is that? That was my point.
Even now, with just 1 or 2 reported lemons, suddenly Harrier and Tata are the worst in business according to most. I fail to understand it.

And no - Hyundai's numbers of issues reported are not negligible. Its famed ASS is not good nor is it cheap. I maintain an AltoK10, NextGen i10 (senior citizen father in law) and a Tata car since 10 years now with overlaps. Across the towns, Tata's service is the simplest and cheapest. Very accommodative and easy to work with. There have been niggles with the Hyundai and Suzuki and Hyundai ASS has tried to siphon off money! Maruti ASS is fine I won't complain about it. But its not transparent and you lose money if you aren't aware of their tricks.

If you look at my post, I'm talking about the perception associated with the brand that refuses to go away! When nobody is actually doing a proper statistical check!! Many don't think of the Tata brand based on hearsay without ever checking the product! And yet MG / KIA get thousands of bookings.Thats quite strange. Isn't it? Again - talking of the thousands who have booked without studying. Not about bhpians who have made informed and calculated decisions.

Again, I think you have taken those posts personally when they aren't for any tbhp member at all. So no offense intended. I very much apologize if I hurt you in some way. Peace . All buddies here.

Back to the topic of whether Harrier will see its fortunes changed with 5 year warranty. I think we unanimously agree it won't!

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th September 2019 at 23:50.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you look at my post, I'm talking about the perception associated with the brand that refuses to go away!
How will it go away? Tata launches Nexon, Tiago, Hexa, most of them have no issues, you launch *the* most awaited Harrier and it is not sorted out from day 1.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you look at my post, I'm talking about the perception associated with the brand that refuses to go away! :
That is the problem in India. They're just not able to shake off the legacy image. Biggest example : Fiat. The Uno and Palio debacle made them infamous and their reliability was questioned in their second innings as well, which just didn't let sales kick off. Both Punto and Linea are great cars, if only they came from a different stable, they'd have sold really well.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 12:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The only reason Tata is relevant in the market is because of the name, there is still a lot of Goodwill people of this country still has for that brand, Tata has a responsibility to live up to it. Please don't blame people and Internet warriors for it, they all sang praises for all new Tata products at launch, Tiago & Nexon succeeded while Harrier & Hexa did not, was there something wrong with the product? Maybe.

Let's give credit where it's due, Harrier has a wow factor when it comes to the interior at first glance but Koreans have better fit and finish overall, I figure it would last longer as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks