Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 01:00   #286
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I feel we can expect sensible pricing from Honda for the new City. They really don't have any choice.

Premium pricing for the new City guarantees that it will be dead on arrival.

Honda's India team has successfully destroyed the tremendous brand equity which the City nameplate had built over more than 20 years.

Their most important car in India gets the steering wheel from the Accord but gauge cluster and MID from the Amaze !!

It is the Creta/Seltos that are the choice of the aspirational urban buyer and upcoming executives looking for a vehicle in the 12-18L segment.

The Civic and CR-V have flopped and is an indication from the market, that it is no longer willing to pay the premium demanded by Honda for its cars.

Honda is no longer a premium brand in the market - merely a Maruti + and a Hyundai -.

If the City can dispel this notion by being substantially superior to the competition in terms of quality, driving experience, build quality, ease of use, maintenance and resale value (as the 1st 3 generations were) there is still some hope.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 5th March 2020 at 01:05.
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 09:10   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
My intuition is that its a typo and they actually meant Toyota Yaris. Corolla being a discontinued model from a different segment, it makes no sense to benchmark against the city.
It actually makes complete sense. Now that Corolla is discontinued, they can target the potential corolla buyer who will most likely be chauffeur driven but the current Honda City didn't feel as premium as the Corolla.

Infact just a few months back fellow moderator picked up a Corolla Altis over the Honda City just because the City felt light and not premium enough. The corolla replaced his older City. Had the new City come out, I'm sure he would have gotten that.

Personally, I am looking at replacing my 11 year old Corolla Altis. The current discontinued model was not an option because it was 25lakhs and was not even a huge upgrade vs my 11 year old car.

If there is a Honda City with better interiors close to Corolla, and around 18 on road, feels better built than the old Corolla, then it is something I can even look at. Cause the rear seat comfort of the City was way better than the Corolla. A more modern car with an AT would still be better than the 11 year old Atis even though this is a downgrade in segment. The main requirement is good rear seat comfort with good ride, premium feel, good build quality and reasonably high on safety (will be a city use car not highways)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th March 2020 at 09:14.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 13:09   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Personally, I am looking at replacing my 11 year old Corolla Altis. The current discontinued model was not an option because it was 25lakhs and was not even a huge upgrade vs my 11 year old car.
I'm also looking to replace our 11 year old 3rd gen City, probably with the 5th gen City. But a Q2 launch seems to be a longer wait. I was expecting it to be unveiled in March as posted earlier on this thread, with a subsequent launch in April.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:32   #289
BHPian

I received a call from Honda couple of days back, after I registered my interest for Honda City 2020. The lady confirmed that it will be launched in March, but delivery might start in April. As per my conversation with the lady, I am speculating March 16, 2020 as launch date....... but lets see
Old 5th March 2020, 14:04   #290
BHPian

I have said this before and am saying it again even though I'm a loyal Honda customer, I think the folks at Honda are clueless. They under deliver and over price. I was interested in new city but I have doubts that it will be on road 18-19 lacs which will push it out of reach and make it a sales dud.
Old 5th March 2020, 16:25   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If there is a Honda City with better interiors close to Corolla, and around 18 on road, feels better built than the old Corolla, then it is something I can even look at.
This would indeed be the sweet spot for top end petrol/diesel automatic. if higher, then by about max of Rs 50,000 over the outgoing car.

The current prices (petrol) are below - I always liked the VMT (13.2L OTR BLR) and V CVT (15.08L OTR BLR) models for their value for money.

I remember, merely a few years ago, the V MT Petrol was around 11L OTR in Bangalore.

The top end ZX MT and ZX CVT are 16.65L and 18.0L OTR in BLR respectively.

Same prices would be great to get the juices flying, Honda can always increase prices later.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20200305-4.12.27-pm.png  

Old 5th March 2020, 22:15   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
This would indeed be the sweet spot for top end petrol/diesel automatic. if higher, then by about max of Rs 50,000 over the outgoing car.

The current prices (petrol) are below - I always liked the VMT (13.2L OTR BLR) and V CVT (15.08L OTR BLR) models for their value for money.

I remember, merely a few years ago, the V MT Petrol was around 11L OTR in Bangalore.

The top end ZX MT and ZX CVT are 16.65L and 18.0L OTR in BLR respectively.

Same prices would be great to get the juices flying, Honda can always increase prices later.

Even if Honda were to price the new City as the current one, I still think the market would not react very positively. Mainly because this 12-20 lakh segment is now going to be dominated by the Cross overs like the Seltos and the New Creta. Both of these cars are a little more expensive than the City, but they offer so much more and obviously they ride on the new SUV craze.

If anything, I think Honda should look at a very sharp entry level pricing, you really want to ensure that there is at least a 10-15% price gap to the closest Seltos or Creta Variant. Another USP can be two lower variants in auto, say something around the 13.5L on road. That can be a real crowd puller. Most urban buyers are moving towards automatics, and the Honda City Petrol Automatic is a no-brainer. And the auto variants of the Seltos and the Creta would start from 16-17 lakhs minimum, so not only would this help the City under cut the above cars, but also be competitive against the likes of the Venue, XUV300 etc.

But something tells me that Honda would go ahead and price it at a premium than the current model and just be satisfied with a marginal 1500-2500 cars every month.
motorworks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:40   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post

As a matter of fact, while 13.2 lakhs was/is the marked price on the price sheet for the V MT, there were sweet sweet deals to be had last year (and probably, this year as well). About a year back to this day, I picked up V MT (iVTEC) at roughly 11.6 L on road, with solid amount of useful freebies thrown in (extended warranty, road side assistance etc). That I felt was a bit of a deal, given that the V variant has all the bells and whistles that one needs really and is a pretty loaded car. There were several other BHPians who picked up Citys with equally solid discounts just after I picked up mine.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 15:00   #294
BHPian

In my opinion Honda India should use this opportunity of new launch and BS6 migration and reduce prices of all products across the board of all models including City, Civic, CRV, WRV etc but knowing how devoid of ground realities Honda India is I feel it's wishful thinking on my part.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 14:30   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Received this on Whatsapp earlier in the morning:

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 15:24   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Received this on Whatsapp earlier in the morning:

Interesting to note that this thread had been demoted to page 3. Shows the relative interest level in what should have been a much-anticipated vehicle.

I hope they don't overprice it thinking it's the new Altis replacement .
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 16:01   #297
Senior - BHPian

Honda are themselves heading towards grave yard slowly and steadily. This could well be their last attempt at Indian market. If the New City fails, I am sure Honda will be packing up very soon.

I am very confident that new City will definitely be priced above competition. Base price itself will be higher than some of rivals mid variants. Also, this time like Civic, New City will have just 3 variants to choose from. Another 5 days should confirm it's fate.
CarguyNish is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 16:02   #298
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, the likes of City/Verna/Ciaz can only do so much against the likes of the compact SUVs. This segment has shrunk and so has Honda's share within the segment post the launch of Ciaz. Amaze sells well, but why not a hatch version if it?

Also, Honda missed the transition to UVs badly. HRV should have been launched couple of years ago instead of the silly BRV (no offense to owners but this is a shoddy attempt). Only if BRV was decently aspirational (with honda engines + space), it would have been accepted by masses. Anyone remembers Mobilio? No one.
Old 10th March 2020, 18:21   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting to note that this thread had been demoted to page 3. Shows the relative interest level in what should have been a much-anticipated vehicle.
Not surprising since there is nothing much to discuss.

We are expecting the same engines, same transmission, slightly larger dimensions, a similar or slightly upgraded feature list and evolutionary looks. Almost all the details are revealed, except for the pricing - which doesn't look very promising as well. The current City is already priced Rs 4.3 lakhs more than a Ciaz top-end here (manual ZX to Alpha), and the premium is only likely to increase with the new generation.

Combine all this with dying interest in the segment as a whole - it isn't surprising that the thread is not moving even so close to the launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 22:19   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoop! 5th-gen Honda City spotted testing in India

Cant believe Honda has the gall to continue to peddle basically the same IVTECH engine here in India for over 15 years! And call yet another generation with the same internals Exciting!

The original 100hp vetch engine was launched here in 2005 and has undergone no fundamental changes in architecture or technology - no direct injection, no turbocharging, only incremental improvements. Although they have better engine technology in the rest of the world, the haughty engineers consider India too cheap and ignorant a market to deserve these. They are rewarded in turn with rapidly declining sales, minimal brand penetration among Gen-Y and Gen Z - basically an ageing brand bought by the 50+ group.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th March 2020 at 22:22.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks