Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:23   #571
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

It’s been just a day and I’m already bored of the plain Jane interiors. The ZX and VX look more like a base model, than anything. Hopefully the touchscreen doesn’t reflect too much sunlight, but the one good change I like is the addition of physical buttons for the AC; thank you Honda!

But that said, the VW interiors are much more cosy IMO. Also, the dealership yard pictures above ^ ... the City looks somewhat like a Mahindra sedan in ways
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:10   #572
BHPian

I have always admired the way the City looked(except the Dolphin) in the past, but not this one. It looks more tuned down compared to the 4th gen, more rounded or curvy compared to the sharp, arrow lined previous iterations. But I think making it rounder is the new norm now( like the new creta?). Any ways I would prefer a sharper styling any day. As pointed out earlier, it looks more like an overgrown Amaze than a Civic. For me the only saving grace is the rear design, especially that BMW inspired taillight.

Interiors looks premium. But again, I would say Honda has gone too conservative. Looks too plain, the dashboard design and that out of place looking ICE unit. They should have provided it with a better looking and better integrated display unit. It doesn't look oriented towards the driver either. From the video grabs, the rear door pads look thinner.

I wouldn't miss the turbo engine in a City though. I like the way our Vento 1.6MPI performs. Power at all times, as and when required without much waiting period. The IVTEC, I hope would always be better. But I have always felt the lack of feel and feedback in our Vento's steering. I had always felt the City to be a better handler overall. But with increased body roll, tuned down steering response I wouldn't find myself buying one. Suddenly for the self driving buyers, the pseudo SUVs(Seltos GT may be)appears to be a better choice in the segment.

But again I hope Honda would surprise us with a City Rs in the future. Not for the 1L turbo, but a car with stiffer shocks, better handling, and a sharper steering as ford had done with the Fiesta S in the past. I really wish.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:28   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
The i-VTEC engine has always been fantastic but can't deny the fact that the new car has better low-end performance. It feels a bit more responsive. The mid-range and top-end are power packed just like before.
I drive the 4th gen petrol MT as well, and frankly, I have never had any complaints about the low end response of the engine. In fact, I feel that the iVTEC is one of the better and more responsive engines when it comes to throttle response below 2500 RPM. Very good to know that the new engine has even better responsiveness

On another note, this thread has really picked up with lot of comments from fans as well as haters Good to see and nothing like the return of an old warhorse with newer and improved attributes to stir up the enthusiasts!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd July 2020 at 09:42.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:40   #574
Senior - BHPian

Late to the party, but will have a say about this new 5th Gen City.

Its a good package overall. Yes, it doesn't feel revolutionary, and similarities with 4th Gen City & Current Civic is there, but on whole Honda have done lots of improvements over earlier car.

Old one's biggest drawback was ride quality, it just wasn't up to the mark, competition were better. That's been corrected now, normally Honda cars don't excel in ride department, but the New Civic & this New City have changed that.

Handling has taken a hit, Rapid & Vento are a bit better. NVH levels has also improved, this was old City's drawback as well.

With DOHC Configuration, low end response is better now, but the mid & top range were always City's forte.

While Old one was loaded, new one has added some additional features like Rear Sunblind, Connected Car Tech, Lane Watch Camera, Agile Handling Assist, Vehicle Stability Management. And not to forget 4 Airbags standard across the variants. No competition offers that.

Then comes the Interiors, while the design is completely different from earlier car, they do look more mature now. Reviewers have mentioned clearly about the use of hard plastics all over, but can these auto journalists give examples which other cars use soft touch plastics ?

None of the rivals have it. Thankfully at least Honda has given soft touch armrests in doors, while in Rapid & Vento, it's all hard plastics. Ciaz though offers padded armrest, but it isn't as cushy as in City. So, they needed to nitpick a negative in interiors and they selected this one.

In fact, I will go on to say this, the City's Interiors look and feel much better than Vento & Rapid. I used my brothers Rapid in 2013 before selling it in 2016. In that car, interiors were brown and Beige and totally disliked the texture and color used. They were durable but were not premium. It was Elegance Diesel which was top spec at that time. Car cost 11.3 lakhs on road after discount. Now cars have indeed become very expensive.

My SA at Honda who has seen the car says that the Interiors are a step above older City and rivals. Will confirm it after seeing it in real, but even in pictures, they do look very good.

So, the New City has everything in its favour. It's nice looking, has improved drivability, CVT Gearbox is now more responsive, engine refinement has gone up, NVH levels have improved, is as spacious as it always was, now rides much better, is well equipped, has good interiors, is more stable on highways. Even though this segment is diminishing, the New City brings a breath of fresh air to the segment.

All Honda needs to do is price it well, that'll help them get some numbers, but with this new one being so good, Honda will charge premium and will be pricing it well and above the competition. Even if it undercuts the Seltos & Creta, it will help it gain some numbers from those 2 Koran cars. Wouldn't be surprised if top spec ZX CVT and ZX Diesel cross 21 lakhs.
CarguyNish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:05   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I drive the 4th gen petrol MT as well, and frankly, I have never had any complaints about the low end response of the engine. In fact, I feel that the iVTEC is one of the better and more responsive engines when it comes to throttle response below 2500 RPM. Very good to know that the new engine has even better responsiveness

On another note, this thread has really picked up with lot of comments from fans as well as haters Good to see and nothing like the return of an old warhorse with newer and improved attributes to stir up the enthusiasts!
No offence but at least 20 posts of yours say the same thing - 1.5 ivtec is the best engine and responsive at low RPMs. It's not about fan boys/ haters, it's about honesty and relative performance. I have a manual city too, while it's a great car and has a great engine, it's not the best! Low end performance of verna/vento/ciaz/ even etios is much better.
Yes City is faster and more fun, but in the real world in if you have passengers in the car (where you can't rev the nuts off without scaring them), try to close tiny gaps, or you're driving in traffic - it's not that effective. In addition to this, the tiny fuel tank, light build quality, and sad NVH (vs. competitors especially Verna) is hard to forget.

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 2nd July 2020 at 11:06.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:44   #576
BHPian

Okay, so I am back to square one When I had fixated on changing over to one of these psuedo SUV's with the quest of better safety and higher GC.
And now with the new City, Honda has brought me again to the starting block. I will wait for detail review from our community and second Honda should price it sensibly.
With Honda I can be sure of peaceful and reliable ownership experience. As far as performance is concern, with addition of DOHC there will be definitely a gain in low end torque. And the mid and top end will be strong as what it was earlier as well. Also a comparison with nearest rivals Rapid / Vento / Verna & Ciaz is necessary before arriving at conclusion.
Also drive-ability, driving experience and expectations from interior / exterior features are a very individual subjects. One might appreciate a low end torque with minimal gear change some might appreciate revving up. Some will like flashy interiors with modern gizmos and some might prefer the old school things.
After seeing the video reviews I personally liked the car. Few apprehensions that I have are, change in approach angle & departure angle with the extended body plus bumpers might lead to scrapping when you are parking near a curb or leave road. No cladding on the wheel wells may lead to higher road noise and pebbles hitting sound inside the cabin.
A detailed review will help find more answers.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:45   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
No offence but at least 20 posts of yours say the same thing - 1.5 ivtec is the best engine and responsive at low RPMs. It's not about fan boys/ haters, it's about honesty and relative performance. I have a manual city too, while it's a great car and has a great engine, it's not the best! Low end performance of verna/vento/ciaz/ even etios is much better.
Yes City is faster and more fun, but in the real world in if you have passengers in the car (where you can't rev the nuts off without scaring them), try to close tiny gaps, or you're driving in traffic - it's not that effective. In addition to this, the tiny fuel tank, light build quality, and sad NVH (vs. competitors especially Verna) is hard to forget.
Likewise, no offence, but let me respond to your statements:

1. I do not remember any forum strictures which restrict me from expressing my views, whether positive or otherwise, and whether strongly or not so strongly, about a particular product based upon my experience and consequent perception. And yes - even if the same view is expressed 20 times or more, in response to various posts by other members, or as stand alone comments. Rest assured that I will continue to voice this view as and when I feel the need or desire to, just as you are free to ignore/disagree with that view when expressed.

2. Since you refer to honesty, let me be very clear on this. All my views about this car and the engine are based upon my experience with it, and in comparison to all the other cars that you have mentioned in your post (driven by me, either extensively, or for shorter durations). They are a direct expression of how I have felt when driving this car/ engine. There is no question of dishonesty, simply because I stand to gain nothing here by being dishonest. I prefer the City's driving characteristics to these other cars (though the Vento certainly has a worthy engine in its own right), and yes, that very much includes low end response. Just like you feel otherwise when comparing the City to said cars, I do not, based upon my first hand experience. As simple as that.

3. I regularly drive with 2-3 passengers on board in the "real world" that you speak of, and my view that the City has good low end responsiveness across such situations stands. Obviously, any car will respond better with lesser passengers/weight on board, and nothing different in the City's case. Having to "rev the nuts off the engine" and "scaring passengers" is not only far removed from reality, but needless hyperbole, in my view.

4. Fuel tank size, NVH, light build quality etc are absolutely irrelevant considerations for me when it comes to my comments on and appreciation of the singular matter of the iVTEC engine and its responsiveness. My praise for the engine has been mostly about just that - the engine. Not the fuel tank or its size, not NVH, nor claims on teutonic build quality. These may be important criteria for you in your overall evaluation of the car, and thats perfectly fine - but it has little significance for me when I speak glowingly of the engine.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd July 2020 at 11:50.
arindambasu13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:12   #578
BHPian

I own 2015 ivtec. I personally dont like engine feel in low end.
I do most of the driving in pune peak traffic (36Km daily). Engine feels very dull till 2000-2200 rpm. After that it gives you punch of power.
Because of stop go traffic and weak low end I end up doing too many gear shifts. Which sometimes leads to hand n shoulder pain.
pravint is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:30   #579
Team-BHP Support

Side by side with the 4th generation -

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-instimage4.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:53   #580
Team-BHP Support

The new City has come at the perfect time. Just when the Corolla has got discontinued the new City has come in which is bigger, with better interiors and a plusher ride quality based on the video reviews.

So looks like they have softened it up and is now the perfect car for those who were looking at a Corolla!
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:12   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Side by side with the 4th generation -

Attachment 2024162

Source

The profile is so damn similar in the last 3 generations and even the front. It just makes it look so old. Don't know if it's only me?
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:53   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Likewise, no offence, but let me respond to your statements:

1. I do not remember any forum strictures which restrict me from expressing my views, whether positive or otherwise, and whether strongly or not so strongly, about a particular product based upon my experience and consequent perception. And yes - even if the same view is expressed 20 times or more, in response to various posts by other members, or as stand alone comments. Rest assured that I will continue to voice this view as and when I feel the need or desire to, just as you are free to ignore/disagree with that view when expressed.
Great diplomatic & a firm, knowledge based response !
Nobody is an absolute expert and people just gain from each others experience & advise & eventually draw their own conclusion.
In so many posts I see how Bhpians have helped each other, but this is a first time I have seen a post on this platform, where somebody has been unnecessarily critical of a fellow Bhpians post.
I was really happy to read your response.
Timothy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:54   #583
Senior - BHPian

Design Inspired by 6 year olds drawings

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd July 2020 at 18:55.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:19   #584
Senior - BHPian

Honda sales advisor forwarded this brochure today.

[ATTACH=honda-all-new-city-brochure.pdf]2024198[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf honda-all-new-city-brochure.pdf (866.7 KB, 1013 views)
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:52   #585
BHPian

To some of the posts above, we all know Honda's 1.5 i-VTEC is a gem of an engine. But a car doesn't end there. It's like telling, I have a Dolby Digital Sound System in an open air theater. The overall judgement should be on all aspects and will wait for the T-BHP official review for the final verdict.

Right now my heart is leaning towards the new CITY and just like what I said earlier, its the only car I would replace my awesome Jazz with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Against the tide! I love this understated, clean and simple looks. It has a character.

High chances of it being my next car.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks