Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Sunroof Usage
Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it. 166 25.08%
I forgot I had a sunroof in my car! 30 4.53%
I just use it once in a while 105 15.86%
I don’t want sunroofs and would be good if a manufacturer gave me a loaded car without it (cost savings) 308 46.53%
I had to buy the car with a sunroof because I had no option in the top variant 53 8.01%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 11:07   #16
BHPian

re: Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?

I quite enjoy the sunroof in my car when the sun is not beaming through it.
To be honest, it's nice to have a Sunroof for those monsoon weekend drives to nearby ghat roads. Even though it's not a very useful feature it serves a feel-good factor. It also feels quite great to feel the sea breeze surround you while driving on one of many coastal roads in Mumbai at night.
revsperminute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
My 2 cents on the survey, in an attempt to enhance the quality of content on the forum.
Thank you! Option by option, my reaction was exactly the same as mentioned by you. That's why I refrained from voting.

Having said that, it will always be the case, right? It will be difficult to prepare guidelines which will cover every type of poll request. Which is why quite a few of us also comment on the thread. If the person creating the poll has the ability to update the options based on feedback in the thread, that would be ideal in my mind.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

I choose option 4. My main reason for not wanting one other than the fact that I'm unlikely to use it is that it introduces another point of failure and also maybe an easy entry point for thieves or a target for vandals or falling coconuts and branches. There is also the issue of clogged drain channels and water ingress due to that or bad seals.
If the car and variant I choose next has a Non optional sunroof then for sure I will get that entire section of the roof covered in PPF or a wrap to seal it in completely
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Also maybe an easy entry point for thieves or a target for vandals or falling coconuts and branches.
(Disclaimer - I myself have voted 4 like you.)
I don't think the sun roof plays any part in burglaries. Normal doors and windows are far easier to work around compared to a sun roof. If they want to break a glass and enter - windshield is the easiest target with a bull's eye printed on it.
Vandals & miscreants just looking for fun - Yes. So sun-roof is only for those with a secured private parking.

Talking of branches & coconuts - I have first hand experience for years as both my cars are parked under trees (Just yesterday a bottle palm branch fell on my car.). I think having a sun-roof might actually be beneficial in these scenarios. When something falls - the glass will break & absorb most of the impact. Fix will be a simple glass replacement in many cases. Whereas in cases of normal roof - the impact actually results in deformed sheet metal / A-B pillars which is a huge blow in the wallet to repair afterwards & a dent directly in the chassis' structural rigidity.
Old 24th October 2019, 14:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I use it almost daily on my office commute when I'm still in my rural setting and driving < 70 km/hr. I will not ordinarily consider a self-drive luxury car without one.
Old 24th October 2019, 15:16   #21
BHPian

Voted for option#5, though in reality my case resonates more with option#4.

OT: I feel this is very similar to the way Samsung restricted their "flagship" galaxy note mobiles to a narrow form-factor(FF). Technically the screen is 6.4inches diagonally and all, but compare it to the initial note series of 2012-13 (oh, how I miss that one!) which was a proper "phablet" but now it's just a sleek phone just to satisfy some (or rather most!) peoples' obsession to do it all one-handed No complaints with the other specs/performance though, and feel they should've released the phone with option to have the "phablet" FF or sleek one.

Coming back, the top-end car makers/models atleast should've given the choice to customer to choose whether they want a sun-roof or not !? Now it's like I am forced to take it since the top-end models invariably comes with it, irrespective of whether I want it or not. Personally, I am not a fan of it, atleast here in India - would prefer to have ribbed metal roof rather than glass. Though @arbaz906 here (Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?) has beautifully expressed the positives of it, due to the rare possibilities to use it in our clime would still prefer no-sun-roof than sun-roof !

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 24th October 2019 at 15:40.
Old 24th October 2019, 15:40   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

As a smoker, I cannot describe enough how useful a sunroof is with a sunroof, smoking becomes a whole lot easier and less messy. If there was no sunroof, and one had to lower the driver side window to smoke, you run the risk of ash getting blown back into the cabin, smoke itself being blown around in the cabin, and getting grime into your skin. With a sunroof, cabin stays clean and smells good. Simple
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Not sure if people agree,. But I also consider the sunroof as a safety feature. It can function as an escape hatch if you are stuck in water.
realactivex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
Not sure if people agree,. But I also consider the sunroof as a safety feature. It can function as an escape hatch if you are stuck in water.
If the electrical system fails so will the sunroof. I don't think it will help in safety.
In a hatch design, able to open the boot manually from inside will be far more useful.

I rather prefer companies give TC, ESP, multi-link suspension or all disc instead if the sunroof. These are far more useful on daily basis.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the 3 rd option. I bought the VX model coz my daughter goaded me to buy a car with a sunroof. With the heat in Chennai it's almost never used and when it's open even at night we're scared of bird droppings when we pass beneath trees. On the highways, haven't used it as the wind noise at those speeds may disturb the peace in the cabin and also the heat even when we move the sunroof interior cover.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:13   #26
BHPian

Voted for Option 4

This craze for Sunroof/Moonroof and the top end version always having it is ruining lots of people's budget. Why not give option for people who don't want this feature? For those who want let them have and for those who don't, don't shove it on us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the whether is cloudy, and the shade rolled in, kids can look at the clouds, trees, tall buildings etc. If it rains they can have fun with the water drops rolling back. If it is nature trail, probably the sunroof can be opened (not with a highway speed). Of course these are my hypothesis as my current cars don't have sunroof
Glad that you admitted this is a hypothesis
For 80-90% of our roads, unless you are going through some really thick forest, all you can see is sky and clouds. Very rarely will you be able to see forest or buildings. I also don't have it in my car but I have been in car which has and have experienced it opened.

Maybe team-bhp as a forum will have a good number of members who are really keen on having this as a real feature but in reality we are a small sample of data in the whole scene. Out there in common public, most of the people who buy are for either showing off or for making their kids/family members put their necks out dangerously.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 16:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the first option. While my sunroof remains closed throughout the summer, I regularly use it in spring and winter.

And even when I don't open the sunroof, I keep the sunroof cover open at night to have a view of the starry sky or skyscrapers (When I'm not driving). For this reason, I'd really love to have a panoramic sunroof even if it doesn't open (like in the Evoque). Will take a while to cool the cabin in summer afternoons but certainly worth it for me, especially if you are on a long drive in the middle of the night with someone special but can't afford/own a convertible.
Old 24th October 2019, 16:57   #28

Voted Option #4

In 2010, when we brought i10 Asta (top-end variant), the sunroof was a compulsory feature with Petrol+Automatic combination. Since there were no real options left for us to pit it against i10, we ended up buying the car with a sunroof on it.

However, paying extra ~50k did not feel imposing as we had never used sunroof earlier and buying a top-end automatic car did somehow made us mentally welcome the sunroof feature.

The excitement, though, did not last for very long and we had soon stopped using it (barring a couple of times on long journey - which was again, not very frequent!).

I don't think I'll ever buy a car again with a sunroof and rather shell out those 50k-100k saved money on something else - eg: HUD or extra airbags!
romydeora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 17:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Glad that you admitted this is a hypothesis
For 80-90% of our roads, unless you are going through some really thick forest, all you can see is sky and clouds. Very rarely will you be able to see forest or buildings. I also don't have it in my car but I have been in car which has and have experienced it opened.
Are you talking about a normal sunroof or panoramic one? If it is a small one, it doesn't have much effect in the back seat, which is where kids are seated. Yes it is not of much use on highways.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:08   #30
BHPian

I like only panoramic sunroof not the soap-box sized sunroof. The bigger one really looks good in the night. The smaller one doesn't serve any purpose at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks