Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Sunroof Usage
Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it. 166 25.08%
I forgot I had a sunroof in my car! 30 4.53%
I just use it once in a while 105 15.86%
I don’t want sunroofs and would be good if a manufacturer gave me a loaded car without it (cost savings) 308 46.53%
I had to buy the car with a sunroof because I had no option in the top variant 53 8.01%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 15:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

The worst ones are most likely the simple aftermarket ones. Where all they do is cut a whole in your roof and stick a simple transparent sunroof on.
I wonder if the 'super structure' doesn't come in the way when they are cutting the hole in the roof. They should never touch the structure. Cutting the sheet metal itself shouldn't affect the rigidity (even though some 'ribbed' roofs do add to the rigidity)
Old 26th October 2019, 16:58   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are paying 25L+ for a car, it should have panoramic/sunroof as standard. If not, it is a rip-off. There are many features that customers rarely use in their premium cars. But that's not the point. It doesn't matter if the customer uses the feature or not. Premium pricing = premium features. End of story.

Below 25L however, there's a dozen+ things that are more importantly lacking than a sunroof. So it's really up to the individual on what they'd like to prioritize.

The additional glass area makes the cabin brighter and feels less claustrophobic. Treat it like an optional expensive glass window. Similar to door windows, don't let anyone stick their head out of a sunroof in a moving car. It's dangerous.
Old 26th October 2019, 17:11   #78
BHPian

Voted - Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it.

It's a classic Head Vs Heart discussion & I chose Heart!

I have Fun-roof in my EcoSport & back in 2018 during my purchase, I could either chose Signature (w/Fun-Roof & 2 Airbags) or Titanium+ (w/o Fun-Roof but 6 Airbags). I chose the former since my daughter was young and she had immense craving for a Fun-Roof!

Call it impractical, the short lived joys (for both young as well as adults) are just as blissful as an extra set of airbags would be blessing on a fateful day.

Personally, I look at it as a first-step towards a Convertible
Old 26th October 2019, 17:58   #79
BHPian

I had finalized i10 auto in 2012. The sportz variant had all but one - abs - feature. This was available only in top end Asta. Now the asta auto came with a sunroof which was an added cost. So I had to go with the top end version.

But I enjoy driving the little car with the sun roof cover opened, let's a lot of light in making the cabin cheery.

But even if I drive with the sunroof open, taking out any body part from the sunroof is strictly prohibited for my kid and her cousins.

Nikhil

Last edited by nsbhagwat : 26th October 2019 at 17:59. Reason: damn my thick fingers on a slim keyboard.
Old 26th October 2019, 18:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I wonder if the 'super structure' doesn't come in the way when they are cutting the hole in the roof. They should never touch the structure. Cutting the sheet metal itself shouldn't affect the rigidity (even though some 'ribbed' roofs do add to the rigidity)

Well, even if it is just sheet metal it is part of the overall rigidity, albeit it doesn't contribute too much.

To my earlier point, sun roofs installed by the factory are likely to have less loss of rigidity as it could have been incorporated in the design of the car.

Has anybody ever noticed the difference in scuttle shake in the same model of car with and without sun roof?

On cabrio version of originals sedans it can be very noticeable as you loose not just a bit of roof, but the complete roof.

Jeroen
Old 26th October 2019, 18:39   #81
BHPian

We have sunroof/panaromic sunroof on 2 of the three cars we own.

According to me, specifically in India, a sunroof is useless. Most of the year, our primary goal is to hide from the sun! Add the horrible pollution levels and it just becomes totally useless.

People who let their kids stand out of the sunroof should be sent to jail.
Old 26th October 2019, 20:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it all depends on the car and the sunroof I guess. Many factory fitted sun roof come with quite a sturdy thick base, which gets (tag) welden from underneath. So the roof does loose some strength due to the sunroof hole, but the sunroof base will strengthen it to some extent. Loose some, gain some.
The question is not of strength of the roof, but what the roof contributes to the rest of the vehicle. Extreme case - convertibles.
Often you'll find that a frontal crash creases the roof.

Quote:
Also, if factory fitted, one would hope/expect the designers to have taken this into account
If it is not a performance car, I have some doubts.

Quote:
Most people have no idea what scuttles shake means/is. Put them into my roofless AlfaSpider and they will know within 100 meters of driving.
Mahindra Jeeps in India. Most people mistake it for a variation of the death wobble.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th October 2019, 20:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody ever noticed the difference in scuttle shake in the same model of car with and without sun roof?

On cabrio version of originals sedans it can be very noticeable as you loose not just a bit of roof, but the complete roof.
There is no difference or one could say if there is a difference then it doesn't strike you in this area between the Porsche 718 Cayman and its cabrio version the Boxster. It's the same whether it's cornering or bad roads or at fast speeds or the general feel of rigidity.

If one could find a track where one could take both to extreme limits with all sorts of manouvers maybe it could be noticed by an expert and even that may be barely perceptible.

They've engineered the cabrio version sufficiently so that the difference in this area cannot be felt.

Last edited by AMG Power : 26th October 2019 at 20:54.
Old 26th October 2019, 21:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sunroofs, especially panoramic sunroofs, can turn out to be a magical feature in your car during the rainy seasons in my place (Kerala). I make sure that use the sunroof during those dull rainy days when there's no direct sunshine - that mostly means just sliding away the roof lining to expose the sky through the glass. I open the sunroof rarely though.

Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?-psx_20180415_193249.jpg

Saying that a sunroof is useless in India is very similar to saying that Cruise Control is useless in India. That's not only too much of a generalization but also incorrect. Just sit on the back seat of a Jeep Compass L+ on a rainy day and open up the entire roof lining - you'll realize

Last edited by clevermax : 26th October 2019 at 21:18.
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 21:30   #85
BHPian

3 of 4 of my cars have sunroofs and none of them is panoramic. I like them becuase it helps in bringing in some sunlight in the morning and makes the cabin bright. In the nights, I like the lights and occasional stars peeping through the glass. I try and open them whenever there is a clear route available. There's no point opening them next to a BMTC bus! Driving in the mountains, it brings fresh air and light and sometimes mist as well - makes the drive much more enjoyable. I never felt that they are a safety risk. The glass is much more torsionally rigid and it's designed to take care of any safety risks. And, my family likes them too. My next buy would be the one with a larger/panoramic sunroof, especially if available with an Alcantara headliner.

Last edited by vivekshukla : 26th October 2019 at 21:31. Reason: Wanted to add an additional comment about night driving.
Old 26th October 2019, 21:37   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There is no difference or one could say if there is a difference then it doesn't strike you in this area between the Porsche 718 Cayman and its cabrio version the Boxster. It's the same whether it's cornering or bad roads or at fast speeds or the general feel of rigidity.

If one could find a track where one could take both to extreme limits with all sorts of manouvers maybe it could be noticed by an expert and even that may be barely perceptible.

They've engineered the cabrio version sufficiently so that the difference in this area cannot be felt.
Porsche is very good at this. I believe with some cars, the cabrio version is actually a little heavier than the sedan/coupe. Because they need to built some additional strength into it
Old 26th October 2019, 21:52   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

MG realized how important a panoramic sunroof is, while I'm no fan or sunroof or MG, this one feature will have a potential customer floored!

I am also of the opinion that for unibody vehicles a huge sunroof will compromise the roof strength, and also puts unnecessary weight higher up on the roof, not the best thing for handling either.
Old 27th October 2019, 01:13   #88
BHPian

I voted for the option "I don’t want sunroofs and would be good if a manufacturer gave me a loaded car without it (cost savings)"
This was the closest match I could find in the options which matched my thought process. My main concern or worry is that I think about them as a weak link in the roof and one more moving mechanical part which could be a reason for failure. Some of them have a fabric air deflector which makes it look very delicate and prone to damage. I have read about children sticking their neck out and getting injured by kite string or similar stuff.
Last but not the least I don't want anything other than a metal sheet (feels strong) in the roof of my car. Its just me, you can call me sceptical or pessimist, but bottomline I would not prefer a sunroof on my car for all the above mentioned reasons and cost is just a silver lining.
Old 27th October 2019, 08:53   #89
Senior - BHPian

Who would say 'no' to the sunroof? It's your own personal sliver to the sky. An escape to unending vertical vistas above you. Whenever you're stuck in a traffic jam, leave the glass on and peer into the vastness above, and you do feel a lot less burdened. Break free!

Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?-screen-shot-20191027-8.45.17-am.png

Last edited by aah78 : 28th October 2019 at 18:46. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 15:21   #90

Sun roof in my Verna is used to get rid of hot air from the cabin after getting into a hot parked car. Good at that as the hot air tends to move upwards, cabin cools quicker. The sunroof is so small, the access to it from both front and rear seats is tricky.
If you are a nature lover, you will enjoy the natural air and aroma while driving on isolated ghat roads, provided there is no vehicle at least 250m ahead of you. Otherwise end up in getting all smoke and polluted air int the cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks