Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Sunroof Usage
Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it. 166 25.08%
I forgot I had a sunroof in my car! 30 4.53%
I just use it once in a while 105 15.86%
I don’t want sunroofs and would be good if a manufacturer gave me a loaded car without it (cost savings) 308 46.53%
I had to buy the car with a sunroof because I had no option in the top variant 53 8.01%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 10:17   #31
BHPian

re: Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?

I selected option #4 (I don't want Sunroof)

Reasons:
1. Sunroof is not suited for our climate and roads (polluted roads, with the hazards of kite thread cutting the throat of the motorists)
2. During a rollover, I believe a car without a sunroof is more safe to protect it's occupant
3. Safety features like ESP are more important than Sunroof. I would like to opt for a car with ESP rather than with a Sunroof
Old 25th October 2019, 10:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Option 4

During a recent evaluation of the Venue for my father, really liked the SX(O) GDI but for its price and I attribute the model going out of budget thanks to the sunroof 'loading'

Thankfully the poll is within an informed, responsible community, I can so see the uninitiated think of sunroofs as 'A wonderful window to peek out of while in motion'

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2019 at 09:18. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2019, 10:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

For those who want to buy a car with a sunroof because their kids want it:

Dangerous trend - kids standing and sticking head out of sunroofs

Child pops head out of sunroof - killed by Manjha
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:54   #34
BHPian

sunroofs in Delhi kind of place are just style statement and practically makes not much of a use case with so much dust and pollution around I don't open even my window at all forget sunroof.
Old 25th October 2019, 10:56   #35

Though I voted for 1 - Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it, my actual usage falls somewhere between 1 and 3.

Overall, it's a "good to have" feature but not a "required" one if the car is otherwise fully loaded.

Pros:
- The cabin feels much bigger and airy once the pano roof is opened.
- The kid loves it, especially during wet weather and nighttime rides.
- Basking in the sunshine during those 4 odd months of winter. And also during uphill drives.

Cons:
- The heat and dust greatly restrict usage during the summer.
mallhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:57   #36
BHPian

Like how there are warning signs on the sunvisor for airbags (especially for kids in baby seats), manufacturers should put up a warning sign for the sunroofs as well pointing to the dangers of allowing kids poking their heads out while vehicle is in motion.

Per my observation, the roof edge is directly in front of the kid's neck or chest. As soon as the driver hits the brakes (because in India everyone jumps in front of the moving vehicle), the kid can very easily hit the neck or chest on the edge and have serious damage.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:06   #37
BHPian

A roof is a roof, be it metal or glass. Expecting sunroof to provide more features other than being a roof is absurd. It certainly gives a feel-good factor on a few occasions and I do not mind having one. Though, for most, it's like an itch to buy a professional DSLR thinking they'll become the next big photographer but end up eating dust in some corner of the house. The same case with sunroof, the initial itch is there but in the end, it remains closed and unused 90% of the time.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:34   #38
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4680360 (Sunroofs & their usage - Still a gimmick?)

I agree with @2000rpm. The options are negative biased!
I voted the first option but the truth lies between the 1st and 3rd option. There are enough cloudy/rainy days in BLR city to enjoy the sunroof and I do! When we travel as a family kids love the sunroof on ghat/forest routes. Some may argue that BLR and sorrounding regions are more conducive to using the sunroof but I believe as a premium feature if you get to use it even sometime, wherever in the country you may be, it is worth it. That is partly what "Luxury" is all about.
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:50   #39
BHPian

I have a car with black interiors, and that too a W204 C-Class, which is infamous for it's cramped cabin. The panoramic sunroof makes the cabin feel really airy, much appreciated by claustrophobic passengers. Most of the time, I drive with the blinds open.

But it does have a down side- maintainence. The sunroof always keeps asking for greasing and cleaning it's water channels. I have seen people ignoring this and then suffering with a damp cabin.

What is worse is the fact that recently, my sunroof switch broke off( a little googling revealed that it is a common occurrence in cars around the world, due to the horrible quality of plastic used), and the guys at the dealership say that they have to replace the entire control panel for a cool 60K. I have somehow managed to fix it with fevikwik for now.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:01   #40
BHPian

Voted 1st option. Had been driving a car with Sun-roof for the past 7 years and had been using it regularly. And a panoramic sun-roof is in my wish list for my next car.
I almost always open the Sun-roof during early morning or late night drives and especially to Blr airport pickup/drops. It is also very refreshing to drive with an open roof in the ghats. Mostly during my drives to Kerala, I reach the ghat section by evening and the feel of fresh air through open roof takes out the tiredness by a good extend.
Another thing I always enjoy is driving in the rains with the glass roof. It is a different ambience altogether if you are a kind of person who enjoy the monsoons.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:26   #41
BHPian

Dont want sunroof. I am from South India and we have more than required sun during all months of the year. I recently checked out the Jeep Compass AT and during a chat with the SA i told i would like AT but without a sunroof. He was perplexed and saw me as if i am the first customer who did not want a sunroof. He went on to explain how great a feature it is and how much the kids will love it bla bla.

Are there any crash test results from NCAP or other credible bodies which compare body structural strength etc of models with and without a sunroof? I feel metal will be more rigid compared to glass.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

I find Sunroofs cool. It could be because I never owned a car with sun-roof and I am not really aware of its pros and cons.But it is a desirable accessory for me personally and I have only stayed away from it due to high cost.

Even the humble Gen-X Nano had a 15k manual sunroof as an accessory from webasto.

1 more scenario where sunroof is a boon : Your car is parked for long time in sun, sunroof can help it cool down very quickly.
Sun-roof can be used to clean your car top easily.
If you are fond of photography, sun-roof is a must in your car IMO.

Last edited by silverado : 25th October 2019 at 12:43.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:46   #43
BHPian

Voted 'Yes, I use the sunroof regularly & I enjoy it.' We own two cars with sunroof (both Ecosport S TDCI). The model with the sunroof was chosen especially for the kids. The love it to the core. Infact, I think, that is the only thing they love about any car.
Old 25th October 2019, 13:06   #44
BHPian

I think they're cool too. However, there's one big issue with them. In our country, with dust and debris everywhere, the water drain of the sunroofs do tend to get clogged now and then and need to be constantly monitored, serviced and cleaned (at least in Ford ones).

Other than that, I find them a happy addition, for kids. I personally open the outer cover when it rains and also when I'm in the hills where the air is fresh and cool.

Although, I must add - I'd be equally happy without the sun roof in the car.
Old 25th October 2019, 13:41   #45
BHPian

I've a first hand experience in an Audi Q3 with a panoramic sunroof - in rains - driving through the hills to Goa.
One word - Superb experience - wait, that's two.

But as a few folks have mentioned here, I'd rather like ESP/Traction Control/better head lamps/hill assist - things like that to be added instead of this sunroof.

Of course, most Germans come with almost all of this and more already.
If the question is - if these should show up on smaller and cheaper cars, I wouldn't be going after those.

On the same lines, I absolutely hate the tiny sunroofs that we get as part of the Creta, Jeep Compass, Honda City etc. They're almost useless.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks