Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 15:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020

There is a chance, a measly little chance that the 1.5 tuned for minimum NVH and the excellent FE might be put on duty for Swift & Dezire, Baleno and future hatches. The 1.6 might put a lil zing to the other NEXA offerings and the Brezza (which is feeling the heat with Hyundai Venue blowing it away with 3 engine options) or the bigger Vitara they're planning. So they'll have two diesel options for Brezza (F.E oriented & performance) and for lower price bracket the excellent refined 1.5 and for higher price bracket the 1.6 (so that the inner enthusiast is at peace and the value seeking mass market has a clear & distinct difference in engine they can boast of). The SA's at Maruti had a tough time when they used to sell Ciaz with the same 1.3 as the Swift !

Last edited by kraken : 4th November 2019 at 15:51. Reason: Formatting
Old 4th November 2019, 16:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

My take on this is the 1.6 is being evaluated as a stop gap arrangement till the 1.5 is made BS6 ready.

Everyone knows Maruti does not have a diesel engine to offer beyond April 2020 and they must have realised it is too big a risk to take considering almost everyone else is continuing with diesel. Buying the engine from Fiat is a quick fix and allows them to still be around in the diesel space, but expect it to be expensive !

Maruti struggled with the BS4 engine itself, so BS6 isn't going to be easy and I wonder how long it will take them to get the 1.5 ready.
Old 4th November 2019, 16:16   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My take on this is the 1.6 is being evaluated as a stop gap arrangement till the 1.5 is made BS6 ready.
That would be a very costly stop-gap arrangement. The 1.6 is an imported engine IIRC. Not made here like the 1.3 is/was. It doesn't fit in the sub4M slab so SCross is the only potential car that can use it (with Maruti's typical approach of not giving higher tax segment engine in a lower one.)

And then - the 1.6 bombed in sales of the SCross last time around. Who can bet that it will succeed this time. Would MSIL take risk again & that too as a stop-gap? It doesn't seem like the way Maruti generally behaves. Also - it would be a very short sighted arrangement to use an engine as a stop gap. Multiple product homologations/modifications would be needed & maintaining inventory/product catalogues with time will become an overhead easily avoidable.
Old 4th November 2019, 16:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That would be a very costly stop-gap arrangement. The 1.6 is an imported engine IIRC. ---
In this case , the engine is speculated to be localized.
Old 4th November 2019, 16:24   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
In this case , the engine is speculated to be localized.
Hmm, then it can't be a stop-gap arrangement but a long term project plan. Would put MSIL on the back foot IMO considering the engine design is now more than a decade old pretty much.
Old 4th November 2019, 16:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That would be a very costly stop-gap arrangement. The 1.6 is an imported engine IIRC. Not made here like the 1.3 is/was. It doesn't fit in the sub4M slab so SCross is the only potential car that can use it (with Maruti's typical approach of not giving higher tax segment engine in a lower one.)

And then - the 1.6 bombed in sales of the SCross last time around. Who can bet that it will succeed this time. Would MSIL take risk again & that too as a stop-gap? It doesn't seem like the way Maruti generally behaves. Also - it would be a very short sighted arrangement to use an engine as a stop gap. Multiple product homologations/modifications would be needed & maintaining inventory/product catalogues with time will become an overhead easily avoidable.
Yeah, but the 1.6 was anyway always imported. Maruti has nothing to lose anyway since they won't have another diesel to offer. People who want the petrols will anyway buy it, but by doing this they still cater to the segment that will only buy Maruti and wants an S-Cross or Ciaz in diesel.

Multiple homologations is not a big issue since OEM's are anyway always carrying out some changes or the other and homologation is a continuous activity. On inventory, it can be managed by a slow phase out and should not be a big problem.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud since being the market leader and suddenly stopping diesel is definitely going to hurt them.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th November 2019 at 16:31. Reason: spacing
Old 4th November 2019, 19:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud since being the market leader and suddenly stopping diesel is definitely going to hurt them.
This is probably the reason, once people think Maruti = No diesel, then it would surely dent their image, as many rivals could use this as a sales pitch against them.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For Guys doubting this news, here is the proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Why did gaadiwaadi mask the number plate ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Facelift model never came with the hallowed 1.6 MJD. So definitely this is a newer one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm still not convinced, guys, for reasons already mentioned earlier (their excellent 1.5L diesel, the 1.6L taking the car into a higher tax bracket, paying Fiat royalties).
Sorry to burst the bubble guys. This is the info I got from my source in MSIL. This S Cross carries registration number HR26CP3701. Registered on 17th June 2015, its one of the very early S Cross 1.6 in India. This is why Gaadiwaadi had masked the number plate!

Maruti has facelifted it, easy for any manufacturer to do it. Notice the alloys, still the old one. This shade is also old Blue, not the Nexa blue.

What Maruti is doing with it: Benchmarking and some emission testing. BS6 mandates "in service conformity" in addition to the initial certification by ARAI. It means the few cars will be tested again after a few kilometers and recommended services. That's what Maruti is probably testing on this engine. They also own couple of VW Golfs, for benchmarking and R&D.

EDIT: Dr. Naren shares a pic of the test mule:

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-img20191106wa0038.jpg

A pic of the same car during media drives in 2015, before Maruti internally facelifted it:

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20150723062712_wqad.jpg

RC details:

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-capture.png

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th November 2019 at 18:59.
Leoshashi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:41   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble guys. This S Cross carries registration number HR26CP3701. Registered on 17th June 2015, its one of the very early S Cross 1.6 in India. This is why Gaadiwaadi had masked the number plate!

Maruti has facelifted it, easy for any manufacturer to do it. Notice the alloys, still the old one.

What Maruti is doing with it:
Hahaha!! I knew something was fishy when they masked the number plate.

Team BHP follower, Mr. Ankit has posted the pic of car on team bhp FB link of this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-img20191106wa0081.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th November 2019 at 18:45.
Dr.Naren is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble guys. This is the info I got from my source in MSIL. This S Cross carries registration number HR26CP3701. Registered on 17th June 2015, its one of the very early S Cross 1.6 in India.
Thanks a lot for this clarification. So in all probability, 1.6L is not coming with any of the Maruti cars. On the contrary, I feel that the Vitara, if at all launched will get the 1.5L engine, maybe with a VGT to bump up the power. The current 1.5L is with FGT.

Quote:
This is why Gaadiwaadi had masked the number plate!
All for a few days of fame!
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks a lot for this clarification. So in all probability, 1.6L is not coming with any of the Maruti cars. On the contrary, I feel that the Vitara, if at all launched will get the 1.5L engine, maybe with a VGT to bump up the power. The current 1.5L is with FGT.
I'm not ruling out the 1.6, but for sure it won't be introduced unless its localised completely.

Benchmarking is a regular procedure at any R&D and there is nothing to get excited. Remember, Maruti had also benchmarked and tested some peugeot's engine in Swift(remember seeing a thread here on the forum).

Quote:
All for a few days of fame!
They masked the plates and that aroused my suspicion, along with the color and the alloys of that car. Had they not masked it, I would have never bothered to check the details and pursue this.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the only engine from Maruti (fiat sourced) that’s having everyone tied to their seat with a belt strapped-on! Shows how purely an enthusiast’s engine that is/was!

Not to forget, Dr.Naren’s car has proven how versatile it is in the hands of a right tuner!
gururajrv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Clever MS employee just wanted to see the brainstorming feedback from forums like ours to know the potentials of their own 1.5 or Fiat's 1.6
Well, which manufacturer doesn't like free and honest advice that's worth it's weight in gold

But seriously, I think Maruti is "involved" in a lot of confusion here. Starting with providing the 1.6 MJD in the S-Cross, then discontinuing the 1.6, then rumours about a new 1.5 unit, and then rumours of the S-Cross being reintroduced with a 1.6 BS6. I say "involved", because these rumours are most likely fuelled by so many external people/factors, but Maruti themselves haven't stepped in to confirm/deny anything, or elaborate on what their plan is. In difficult times like today, I think this is going to really hurt them, because potential S-Cross buyers will simply wait and watch till things become more clear!

Last edited by PearlJam : 7th November 2019 at 11:22.
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:54   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki S Cross spied again with BS6 1.6 (D) Fiat engine.

Make your own inference on this now

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-2020marutisuzukiscross1_6lbs6.jpg

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-2020marutisuzukiscross1_6lbs6spied.jpg

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-2020marutisuzukiscross1_6lbs6spied2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th November 2019 at 20:09.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 22:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

This hide and seek game is getting interesting Would be sweet with a proper TC box. With competition like the Seltos and other well loaded competition, Maruti needs more than just mileage and low maintenance for the 10+L segment to have a chance to do some numbers! Performance might be the USP they are looking for.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks